Back garden shooting and nosey neighbours.

HWRob89

More than likely there's a post relevant to this topic but I couldn't find one.

OK so I got my hw97kt back from forest lodge guns in Wragby Lincolnshire (brilliant ppl) and thought I'd try her out in the back garden. 18yard range, paper target with suitable backstop, 6ft fence. Then after 10 mins the neighbour that I share my back fence with peered over and said "I'd prefer you didn't shoot on a Sunday as I have my grandchildren round" I tried to reassure her that I was being responsible and even changed my shooting direction and shot from the fence towards My house but she was having none of it and was telling me that she's been "letting it slide" to which I got quite defensive in an assertive way and told her to brush up on the law and I'm well within my rights. Apparently she's making a complaint to the appropriate ppl. Am I OK to carry on and ignore her? Am I in the right? I know the boundary law ect. Been shooting in my garden for 5 yrs now and it's the first time she ever said anything or noticed. Any advice will be appreciated, thanks

You are well within your rights. As long as you have a good backstop and no pellets are going over your boundary, there is no problem. Be careful that she doesn't make any accusations regarding you and your rifle. You could have a quiet word with your local police station, and explain what you are doing, and how your neighbour is acting.

be VERY VERY careful because it sounds like your neighbour has a bee in her bonnet,

my garden is 55yrds long and at the end of it we have an annex, the annex is surrounded by a 6ft wooden fence, there is then a 4ft gap before my own THICK 6ft wooden fence,, I have totally surrounded my garden by wooden fencing, I also have back stops that I use as well,

my neighbours are excellent and know I am a shooter BUT the school phoned the police because they saw me and my buddy in my garden with a rifle,

they came to my house like starsky and hutch, after 10 mins checking my rifles (which I didn,t mind them doing0 they left,, with a simple, " I think its best you only shoot when the school is shut,

its not the school its a before and after annex, I didn,t have a problem with it but now don't bother shooting in my garden unless the annex is shut so as to just keep the peace as I really can,t be bothered with the hassel,. I know I am perfectly legal in shooting in my garden but I would rather just shoot else where because it only takes one of them to say I pointed the rifle at them and I would lose the lot,

if I was you I would speak to your neighbour and keep the peace, just don't shoot when their grandkids are there, but more importantly don't enter into an argument with them,

speaking to her in an " assertive way " will only add to your problems ,,, even though you may shoot in your garden as long as your pellet does not leave your boundary

good luck with it, but take a step back and think how you would feel in there position

I hear you. So say she Did make a false accusation saying that I pointed it at her would they take my guns and and ask questions later? Sounds very unfair as no evidence etc. Not that I ever would!!! But surely they investigate first. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. Some ppl would say anything to stop ppl shooting. If ppl new that, everyone would say things to get people's property confiscated.

Sorry but this kind of thing really winds me up. There are Laws in this land and they not only protect people from harm but they also protect peoples rights to do as they please within such Laws-you are not breaking any regs so I would tell her to get lost. If you are worried about any repercussions then simply shoot with a witness or get a cheap CCTV to record your actions. I have a neighbour to one side of me who is actually a CID officer and she hates me shooting in my garden but, as I have pointed out to her, it's none of her business.

I hear you. So say she Did make a false accusation saying that I pointed it at her would they take my guns and and ask questions later? Sounds very unfair as no evidence etc. Not that I ever would!!! But surely they investigate first. Innocent until proven guilty and all that. Some ppl would say anything to stop ppl shooting. If ppl new that, everyone would say things to get people's property confiscated.

If she made a false accusation that you pointed the rifle at her, or threatened to do so, I'm sure that the police will impound the rifle until the matter is sorted. It may, and probably will, be the case where you would have to prove your innocence.

As mentioned, I would contact my local police and explain the situation.

You are within your rights so have no problems there ----------------------- but for me I could not see where it would have caused too much hardship to comply with her request on this occasion , you say you have been doing it for 5 years with no issue so your neighbour cannot be that bad and sometimes it is just better all round to be considerate of others .

it applies to anyone shooting an air rifle in their back garden, BUT if I was a tenant then I would certainly let my landlord know that's for sure,

I would defo take the advice to contact the police and basically ask for someone to come round, they can then see if you have taken enough measures to ensure safe shooting,,

neighbours,,,, who,d have em :lol::lol: :lol:

At this point and with some reluctance I would not shoot airgun in the garden on a Sunday when her grandkids are there and I would inform your neighbour of that fact.

Unfortunately if she was to say you threatened her etc I am sure it is possible the police could take your rifle until the matter was resolved.

The unfairness and the fact that you are perfectly within your rights to continue is irrelevant if she decides to throw an untrue accusation into the picture.(would she?)

Is it worth the possible grief.

Alternatively get a PCP and a carpet backstop.

You are within your rights so have no problems there ----------------------- but for me I could not see where it would have caused too much hardship to comply with her request on this occasion , you say you have been doing it for 5 years with no issue so your neighbour cannot be that bad and sometimes it is just better all round to be considerate of others .

+1

does this law only apply to being the owner of the property,or does this include council or private tenants aswell ?

Some housing association have written in there rules no air rifles and it could mean you could get thrown out your house as a bad neighbour...I know this as my mate has hundreds of rabbits in his garden and we can't touch any of them

Edited by psycho

I agree with this .

If my kids were in the garden and someone was shooting towards it I'd be worried I really can't denie that.

I'll add I I've shot in the garden for 20+ years but remember as a kid hitting the fence and passing through but I was lucky . You live and learn I guess.

Even now I don't shoot if I know the neighbours cats are around as I have good neighbours and want to keep it like that :)

Edited by team tractor

I had a very similar problem with a neighbour who claimed the noise frightened his dog. I packed in for the day but when he later called round to tell me he didn't want to fall out, but then after telling me I shouldn't be shooting in my back garden I got a little defensive and told him I was well within my rights as long as I had a suitable backstop and explained the boundary criteria. He didn't agree with me so I told him that I wouldn't shoot for the remainder of the day but I would be doing it again whenever my son wanted to, and that if he wasn't happy he could either take his dog indoors or contact the police.

It turned out after speaking to his wife ( who was laughing about it ) that it isn't the dog that is frightened, but him.

We're on nodding terms when meeting on the path, but that's as far as it goes.

I work 44 hours a week. Sunday is my only full day off. She only first noticed last summer when me and my brother was plinking. I shoot from inside my shed at the end of my garden from now on, totally shooting in the opposite direction. but she's still not happy. By the way my landlord is fine with me shooting.

I had a very similar problem with a neighbour who claimed the noise frightened his dog. I packed in for the day but when he later called round to tell me he didn't want to fall out, but then after telling me I shouldn't be shooting in my back garden I got a little defensive and told him I was well within my rights as long as I had a suitable backstop and explained the boundary criteria. He didn't agree with me so I told him that I wouldn't shoot for the remainder of the day but I would be doing it again whenever my son wanted to, and that if he wasn't happy he could either take his dog indoors or contact the police.

It turned out after speaking to his wife ( who was laughing about it ) that it isn't the dog that is frightened, but him.

We're on nodding terms when meeting on the path, but that's as far as it goes.

Nodding terms lol. I have that with a few people.

I also have a special wave that we call the anker wave ;) looks like I'm being friendly but far from it

I guess I am lucky, have just on 20 yards with pavers for a backstop against a 6 foot fence. one neighbour is absolutely fine with me shooting as is his wife. I reckon I save them around £10 a month on bird food. The wife is an avid bird feeder, fresh food every day. I have got rid of the pigeons, doves and corvids not to mention a rat problem resolved a few years ago.

Neighbour the other way is an elderly widow who rarely goes into her garden but next door to her there is an anti shooting person. I tend to keep a low profile when shooting, I don't go into my garden with the gun, shoot from the kitchen door and use a PCP which is quiet.

So far no problems at all, that may change as the house next door to the good guy is up for sale. Will have to wait to see what the people who buy it are like.

Some housing association have written in there rules no air rifles and it could mean you could get thrown out your house as a bad neighbour...I know this as my mate has hundreds of rabbits in his garden and we can't touch any of them

I though all landowners were obliged to keep pest species on their land under control.

I think some common sense needs to be applied in situations like this, it's not just about the law and your/our rights. We shouldn't forget that being we all shoot, we have an understanding of guns (hopefully), but to a non shooting person they only see danger, we should respect this in my opinion. I know when I was going to start shooting my wife's initial response was that she didn't want a gun in the house!

Also, I think you need to remember that this lady has nothing to lose if she makes a complaint whereas you do. I don't see that it is unreasonable for her to have concern about someone shooting in an adjacent garden when she has a child in the garden.

Edited by Cosd