Knife thread

oowee

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you learn this stuff? My life was an office this stuff is..................

Beyond comprehension.

You try it, and it didn't come it as well as you hoped.

You read up on it, and find out how other people do it, and ask for advice

You try again.

Rinse and repeat.

Have a look at the British Blades forum, where you will find the really good stuff, like the Bones61 knives above.

My stuff is not in the same league.

You try it, and it didn't come it as well as you hoped.

You read up on it, and find out how other people do it, and ask for advice

You try again.

Rinse and repeat.

Have a look at the British Blades forum, where you will find the really good stuff, like the Bones61 knives above.

My stuff is not in the same league.

Bang on rinse and repeat again and again and again

Some of my home made efforts just to prove anyone can have a go

Apart from the skinner sheaf the rest are all home made from sheet leather.

I know I need to get better at leather work, learning by doing seems to be the way

Damascus blade bought off fb finished off with bog oak scales - good munty knife

P1030977 (Small).JPG

Skinner from a cheapish blade, same scales

P1030978 (Small).JPG

Cheapish damascus blade off here, first attempt at riveting

P1030979 (Small).JPG

My first knife, made from a kit. Soft stainless steel blade, but interesting to make

P1030980 (Small).JPG

Whenever I see medium to large bladed knives without a finger guard it makes me cringe. The amount of times as a youngster my hand slipped and sliced through my fingers.

Made loads of industrial knives over the years of very poor quality, just to do a job on site. The big hacksaw blades were ok so long as you didn't take to much off or get them too hot. Files I never got the temper right and they broke or went soft. Tried cold chisels the lot some were ok but that was all.

Most sites now you'd get sacked for using a handmade knife made from something else. There is skill in working the steel never mind the grind and finish.

It took to post 60 until my favourite Eka popped up.

Ive had one of their super swedes for 30 years now and its still my top knife.

Handed it to a stalker once, and during the gralloch he kept butchering until he ended up with the bladder bag cut off intact and full, he was very impressed.

Other than that I have a couple of Buckmarks from Cabelas and a Boar bush knife, all honed on Waterstones of course.

There are some beautiful pieces on this thread, I only have one, my Spiderco, which I've had for years. I use it for everything and the blade has held well, couple of minor nicks to take out sometime though. Used to use and lose Opinels but slipped once and grabbed the blade, sort of put me off them

post-75958-0-72658100-1460723738_thumb.jpg

+1 here for the Opinels as well.

Got loads of them scattered about the place. So cheap I always buy a bunch and keep a couple in the house and garage, in cars etc.
And by christ you can get them flippin sharp.

Got the super size Opinel knocking about in the garage. thing is like a damn machete. Needs a bit of work though, it's seen better days.

Also got a little fixed blade Mora which is my go to knife for everything and for carving and bushcraft. Really nice sturdy blade, excellent for whittling sticks and such. Also carry a swedish firesteel with it and the two live in my glovebox or come with me on my motorbike when I go touring for getting the odd little fire going.

this is the setup I have (not my pic) plus also the firesteel.

mora-knife-with-tbs-leather-sheath-wide-

They are £275 new, and I'll be parting with it shortly if it's of interest...? It's only going as I have the 4" MuntjaX now, and it seems rude to have 2 of his knives!

I would love it but would be scared to loose it :unhappy:. Like much of the stuff on the post I will have to admire from afar.

Priority at the mo is sorting out my magazine.