Religion

keg

I know it's been done to death on here but having just come in from dinner with friends, I had a highly amusing conversation round the table.

Over 50% of the assembled crew professed to not believing in God. When I asked where they were married and if they have children, where the children were baptised, if they were baptised, all bar one couple said the church.

Hypocritical or people not wanting to be honest about their beliefs?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's been done to death on here but having just come in from dinner with friends, I had a highly amusing conversation round the table.

Over 50% of the assembled crew professed to not believing in God. When I asked where they were married and if they have children, where the children were baptised, if they were baptised, all bar one couple said the church.

That is likely to be a sign of the times more than anything else to be honest. People are more open to not having a religion than they once were. Rightly so in my opinion.

It's convention, a church is a place of spirituality and they're often beautiful too so I personally don't see it as hypocritical. Interestingly ME people don't get married in mosques even though they are often breathtakingly well designed and decorated.

I expect it's more a case of being the done thing to do for most people. Getting married in a church doesn't necessarily mean a belief in god any more than being married in a registry office means the people are atheists. :)

It's convention, a church is a place of spirituality and they're often beautiful too so I personally don't see it as hypocritical. Interestingly ME people don't get married in mosques even though they are often breathtakingly well designed and decorated.

I can see what you mean about the convention. It does seem hypocritical to me for no other reason than people seem to want the nice venues, the traditional church wedding and christening and possibly even funeral but denies the existence of the person the church was built to worship and other than paying for the wedding etc don't contribute to the upkeep, yet want the church there for these events.

I can see what you mean about the convention. It does seem hypocritical to me for no other reason than people seem to want the nice venues, the traditional church wedding and christening and possibly even funeral but denies the existence of the person the church was built to worship and other than paying for the wedding etc don't contribute to the upkeep, yet want the church there for these events.

I think most non believers secretly wish there is a God, myself included. If He is as good a bloke as they make out I'm sure he'll forgive my questioning his laid back attitude.

Good point hamster.

Whilst out walking the dog today, the other thing that struck me was that if nature created the earth, unlike the random approach that nature normally takes, It has certainly allow humans to flourish by having the various seasons.

Cold winter to kill off bugs and viruses, Spring to wash everything clean and start new growth. Summer to allow everything to be harvested then autumn to tidy everything up before winter.

Just my opinion and as a lapsed Catholic, I certainly don't want to force my views on anybody.

Good point hamster.

Whilst out walking the dog today, the other thing that struck me was that if nature created the earth, unlike the random approach that nature normally takes, It has certainly allow humans to flourish by having the various seasons.

Cold winter to kill off bugs and viruses, Spring to wash everything clean and start new growth. Summer to allow everything to be harvested then autumn to tidy everything up before winter.

Just my opinion and as a lapsed Catholic, I certainly don't want to force my views on anybody.

That vaguely rings a bell....

Ah, Mother Nature.....

Nope....evolution, Darwinism, that's it

I was indoctrinated into Christianity by my Mother, but as I grew older I also grew to realise it was all bunkum, but never told my Mother that was what I thought. Why would I, she was my Mother and I wouldn't want to upset her for no reason.

Both my kids are christened but if my Mother hadn't been alive they wouldn't have been; I would have left that decision up to them when they were old enough to decide for themselves. Apart from that the only times I've been to church since about the age of 14 are for weddings, christenings and funerals. I don't sing and I don't pray, either in or outside church.

I think people choose church weddings simply because of convention; if you're going to get married it's the done thing usually. Some people regard god as something which merely exists on the peripheral of their consciousness but otherwise plays no part in their life.

Each to their own. if they leave me alone I'll return the favour. :)

Edited by Scully

...Hypocritical or people not wanting to be honest about their beliefs?

Perhaps they're not all being truly honest with themselves but possibly hypocrisy amongst some as well.

That is likely to be a sign of the times more than anything else to be honest. People are more open to not having a religion than they once were. Rightly so in my opinion.

I find people are generally much more open now about faith than they were some years back.

I think most non believers secretly wish there is a God, myself included. If He is as good a bloke as they make out I'm sure he'll forgive my questioning his laid back attitude.

I recall Dara O'Briain on TV once talking about a conversation with his/ a priest after he'd declared he was an atheist and was asked if he was going to give up all trappings of faith. I remember an occasion in the desert some 25 years ago that brought out some latent faith, quite a lot of it in fact.

We are non believers. Didn't do any of the things mentioned above so we are not hypocritical.

Our son gets indoctrinated at school though which is slightly disturbing. He told me recently that God created the world, it's a laborious process to tell him he had been sold a pup.

I too was hoping that he could get into later life and make his own mind up but like the tobacco companies the cult of religion likes them young.

I lost my neighbour this morning at 52 years old. I turned up at his house 9 months ago to him crying and that's when he gave me tha bad news. He's a Hindu and I said to him at least he has his beliefs . He was really questioning it I could see this. It was really testing him.

When I lost my sister I've never believed in God but I know she watches me and to many times she's told me to stop. She played my song on the way to a mx track then my bike wouldn't start for a hour and it was brand new.

I managed 5 laps then was stretchered off with suspected broken hip/pelvis and couldn't feel below the waist.

On the church side . I'm planning on getting married in the next few years at a local church where my sister is buried. I want her there with me. God doesn't exist as its a sky fairy but a church is a special place of rest, quiet, peace .

This is my feelings

Don't believe in God and they can pull all the church's down for me,you read all this **** when ya a kid and they fill you full of it.if there was a god why does he take the good people and leave the smackheads running around thinking they can help themselves to what ever they think.and why he was stretched across the cross shouldn't there of been there after him to help with all the ****.atb

I'm a non believer as my mum is also a strict non believer. She didn't even go into the church for my sisters wedding. If I ever get married, it won't be in a church as i would be hypocrtical doing it and I wouldn't be true to myself. I've got nothing against believers but it's when the young children are brainwashed into it that gets my goat. Also parents who suddenly turn to faith just to get their children into a good religious school winds me up.

With so many churches closing down Christianity is in decline, however Islam is in its ascendancy in this country. Something to debate with your friends.