NHS a costly failed experiment?

KFC

Having split up the NHS into separate trusts and created an internal market to inrease competition, thus, according to government, making it more economic,many Trusts are now trying to join together and share services because it's more economic.

Now, I'm no economist but I think this splitting up, coupled with PFI, was always going to be the death of the NHS.

I know Maggie's affair with Ronnie, and all things US, was her inspiration but their system was driven from the ground up by insurance companies and profit whilst ours was built on subscription.

As each Trust runs out of money, and debt ridden private businesses come to realise that once the original contract is sold off then there's very little chance of turning a profit, then will we see it all being put back together as one entity with massive purchasing power and sharing of rescources or is it all too late for that?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's like the council, the people in charge don't care about expenditure etc because it's not their money.

If it was my own personal business Id be getting services that are competitive and effective, because it's not you end up with contractors charging things like £40 to change a single light bulb and other horror stories like that which we hear.

Would you have that in your own business?

Similar horror stories in th council, heard one last week about how the council had contracted scaffold onto one of their buildings for over a year, except that hadn't sorted out the workmen to come do the actual work.

The scaffolding was up for around 12months before they sorted out the work to be done and being charged a weekly fee. They simply don't care cos it's not their money.

Wastage of money like that within the public sector is a massive problem which happens on both small and massive scales.

It's one of the few reasons I can see why privatisation is a good idea. (Although there are also many bad aspects).

Has the internal market been a disaster? I don't know, but it always seemed stupid to me. Is there huge financial waste in the NHS? Yes! I'm not an economist, just a jobbing doctor. Having said that, the NHS is one of the most efficient healthcare systems in the world. What most people in the UK fail to realise is that healthcare is very expensive. Want a better service? Pay more taxes and vote in a government that actually cares about the NHS. Yes, there are blatant cock-ups and delays, but show me a better free-at-the point-of-care healthcare system in a country that has comparable taxation.

As it stands in the UK, private healthcare is all well and good, but where will you go in an emergency, or when things don't go to plan in the private hospital? That's right, the good old NHS. And don't think you are getting better treatment in the private hospital, although it may be quicker access and your consultations longer. Private facilities are staffed by NHS surgeons and anaesthetists, your money is going on a hotel room and nice sandwiches.

What bugs me is paying for my prescriptions. £8 for 1 inhailer ( I know they cost £50) but I've worked since I was 16 and always paid in.

If I was diabetic I get the medicine for free ??? But I'm ok without air ???

As said already it's the people at the top that don't care.

That is one thing that has struck me as being criminally unfair, asthmatics having to pay for inhalers to stay alive whilst diabetics got their medications free. Oh and I have been diabetic since I was 10!

What bugs me is paying for my prescriptions. £8 for 1 inhailer ( I know they cost £50) but I've worked since I was 16 and always paid in.

Especially since - afaik - people in Scotland, Wales and NI don't pay for prescriptions (or other things). Are they or are they not part uf the UK? Or perhaps it's just the English who are not part of the UK? ???

I'm well and truly confudled by it all

The NHS is like a pretty ornamental bush which has just been allowed to grow and grow with no overall plan or policy. Today it is so out of control financially but its the political sacred cow. Nobody dares to speak out and criticise it.

When it was created the healthcare it provided was pretty basic. They never could have forseen the way things have moved on because the treatments available today are vast but incredibly expensive. Life expectancy has all but doubled but again at a huge cost.

In many was its a victim of its own success but somebody has got to start making some tough decisions about the future

I try not to use the NHS. Having seen both, give me a nice room and posh sarnies any day. :lol: ​ Vince is right. The NHS was never meant to do what it does. An emergency is one thing, but a gastric band etc, another.

I think free at point of delivery is fine, provided you've paid tax, or are just starting out in life (kids leaving home etc) If you are a visitor you should be required to have insurance as an entry requirement.

Atb

Why don't you ask your GP if you can have more than one inhaler on the same prescription? My GP is happy to put three of the same inhalers on one prescription, that way I only pay one lot of fees.

You can criticise it all you want but there are loads of people not well of people who can afford privet who look enviously at our NHS especially in countries like the good old USA where if a member of your family comes down with a bad health problem and they end up having to sale there home to pay for treatment and they say that they live in civilised countries its more like I'm all right jack screw you.

You can criticise it all you want but there are loads of people not well of people who can afford privet who look enviously at our NHS especially in countries like the good old USA where if a member of your family comes down with a bad health problem and they end up having to sale there home to pay for treatment and they say that they live in civilised countries its more like I'm all right jack screw you.

That's what makes it fantastic.

People eating themselves into morbid obesity, drinking and smoking themselves into terrible health, then demanding free health care all counter this good work.

As with anything there are good and bad points, if you could stop people abusing it then there would be alot more for the genuinely needy.

Why don't you ask your GP if you can have more than one inhaler on the same prescription? My GP is happy to put three of the same inhalers on one prescription, that way I only pay one lot of fees.

Or get a 'Prepayment card' if such a thing still exists?

Well it is 22 years since I worked in the NHS.........

The NHS is funded by our government as a national health service it has become an international health service without the funding to make it such........no wonder it's creaking at the seams...........makes you wonder if the government have set it up to fail.....as an excuse to sell it off to private interests?

What doesn't help is the fact that the last two times I went to A and E what you would call white English were outnumbered two to one by obviously non white English.

So two thirds of the patients were not white English. Or am I being racist for pointing out the *****y obvious ?

The NHS is funded by our government as a national health service it has become an international health service without the funding to make it such........no wonder it's creaking at the seams...........makes you wonder if the government have set it up to fail.....as an excuse to sell it off to private interests?

This ^^^. And it will be to buddys who can give them a very nice job later.

That's what makes it fantastic.

People eating themselves into morbid obesity, drinking and smoking themselves into terrible health, then demanding free health care all counter this good work.

As with anything there are good and bad points, if you could stop people abusing it then there would be alot more for the genuinely needy.

The problem is how do you define abusing it they say that being active and playing sport is good for you yet people who do that are always in A&E with broken bones etc it is ok for one to go climbing mountains and falling down but it is not permitted for me to drink or smoke or eat to many pies.

if people are really over wait are they bad people yet people who are addicted to things are not as they are ill nothing in this life is ever simple but I would rather my taxes went on treating people on the NHS than going to the armed forces to kill and blow up people in fare and distant lands that have done me no harm and probably never would if we had not started killing them first.

What annoys me is the doleys ( that have plenty of money to pay for them), get theirs for nowt.

Yep, that annoys me too, free gastric bands for lazy fat people and free tit jobs for women who have confidence issues.

I try not to use the NHS. Having seen both, give me a nice room and posh sarnies any day. :lol: ​ Vince is right. The NHS was never meant to do what it does. An emergency is one thing, but a gastric band etc, another.

I think free at point of delivery is fine, provided you've paid tax, or are just starting out in life (kids leaving home etc) If you are a visitor you should be required to have insurance as an entry requirement.

Atb

Yep, that annoys me too, free gastric bands for lazy fat people and free tit jobs for women who have confidence issues.

We could do it a lot cheaper, we do 5t ratchet straps for £8, you ain't gonna eat much with one of those tightened around you :yes:

Has the internal market been a disaster? I don't know, but it always seemed stupid to me. Is there huge financial waste in the NHS? Yes! I'm not an economist, just a jobbing doctor. Having said that, the NHS is one of the most efficient healthcare systems in the world. What most people in the UK fail to realise is that healthcare is very expensive. Want a better service? Pay more taxes and vote in a government that actually cares about the NHS. Yes, there are blatant cock-ups and delays, but show me a better free-at-the point-of-care healthcare system in a country that has comparable taxation.

As it stands in the UK, private healthcare is all well and good, but where will you go in an emergency, or when things don't go to plan in the private hospital? That's right, the good old NHS. And don't think you are getting better treatment in the private hospital, although it may be quicker access and your consultations longer. Private facilities are staffed by NHS surgeons and anaesthetists, your money is going on a hotel room and nice sandwiches.

I agree with everything you say and I'll also add I think NHS staff are on the whole incredibly hard working people i disagree with some of the service statment however, for instance my private cover gives me and my family access to all/best cancer drugs ananhow long it takes to see a constant is also important if when you could have a critical condition, I feel the NHS is failing miserably under the strain of too many people.