knife law

roadkill

would like some advice on the knife law and keeping the right side of it.

So am i ok to keep this knife in my shooting truck that i use to go my normal work pick the kids up and also between other activities run a shoot which takes most my time up, i am forever removing stuff like this from the truck as not to fall foul of the law, problem is when i need it i usually leave it at home..

knife in question

DSC_0004_zpslavxzcm8.jpg

Take it out the truck when your not shooting.Copper one waved me down to pull a car out of a flood.He clocked my knives as he came round the back to get my tow strap out.Gave me a bit of advise in a nice way and said remove from your truck if your not travelling too and from the farm.

Edited by Davyo

It's a mad world. in the boot of my car is an Estwing black eagle axe, various trimming knives and bladed tools plus hammers, saws and chisels. The one time I was stopped I explained I do building work including call outs. No problem at all

A vehicle in a place accessible to the public, is considered a public place in itself.

So in basic terms, if you cannot carry it on your person, you cannot carry it in the vehicle.

It's a mad world. in the boot of my car is an Estwing black eagle axe, various trimming knives and bladed tools plus hammers, saws and chisels. The one time I was stopped I explained I do building work including call outs. No problem at all

Entirely dependent on the Police Officers discretion. Unfortunately the Police no longer wish to employ sensible adults with life experience so you are left with a younger less informed Police Force with no idea of how to use discretion.

We are a nation so scared of violence that we ban anything that may at some time in the future be used in anger. Funnily enough we have more violent crime than most other western countries.

Edited by Delboysparky

Take it out the truck when your not shooting.Copper one waved me down to pull a car out of a flood.He clocked my knives as he came round the back to get my tow strap out.Gave me a bit of advise in a nice way and said remove from your truck if your not travelling too and from the farm.

yep thats what i do at the minute, thanks for the help as last thing i want is to upset the law

jamie

A vehicle in a place accessible to the public, is considered a public place in itself.

So in basic terms, if you cannot carry it on your person, you cannot carry it in the vehicle.

Entirely dependent on the Police Officers discretion. Unfortunately the Police no longer wish to employ sensible adults with life experience so you are left with a younger less informed Police Force with no idea of how to use discretion.

We are a nation so scared of violence that we ban anything that may at some time in the future be used in anger. Funnily enough we have more violent crime than most other western countries.

only when going to the farm though its fine

But u can cary as non locking variety in ur car with a blade under 3" all the time, so i'd leave 1 of them in just incase u need it and forgot to put ur locking 1 in.

But just remember there not as safe to work with.

The other way is just leave it in and always either be going to or from the shoot/farm if asked, as long as out of way in boot i doubt they'll realy be bothered, unless there really needing a collar.

Must admit its very rare i don't have an opinel in my pocket, but almnost live in 'working' type trousers

yep thats what i do at the minute, thanks for the help as last thing i want is to upset the law

jamie

only when going to the farm though its fine

If you are carrying shooting equipment or doing maintenance on the shoot then that MAY be considered 'Reasonable excuse' and fall within the exemption. But being stopped outside the school will be a stretch.

If its in a tool kit in the boot that would go some way to convincing a Police Officer you have no illegal intent.

Edited by Delboysparky

If you are carrying shooting equipment or doing maintenance on the shoot then that MAY be considered 'Reasonable excuse' and fall within the exemption. But being stopped outside the school will be a stretch.

If its in a tool kit in the boot that would go some way to convincing a Police Officer you have no illegal intent.

i could always blag it i'm sure as my truck is full of chicken wire, sheep electric fence wiring and normally a bag of feed, whos to say that i was dropping the kids off and heading straight to the farm. But to be honest i would rather stay on the good easy none hassle side of the law.

Edited by roadkill

i could always blag it i'm sure as my truck is full of chicken wire, sheep electric fence wiring and normally a bag of feed, whos to say that i was dropping the kids off and heading straight to the farm. But to be honest i would rather staff on the good easy none hassle side of the law.

Absolutely, what I will say in addition to what I have already said is, never ever accept a police caution without legal advice. A caution is an admission of guilt and unfortunately it is often used when officers know that the CPS would not authorise a charge. Quite often it is used unethically and in order to keep up detection rates.

If stopped give the officer a reason to trust what you are saying backed up by fact, so a truck full of farm kit that includes a knife in a farmland area would go a long way to establishing 'reasonable excuse' in my opinion. They want a reason not to take you in, trust me police officers avoid all the work they can. :)

Best advice is as you said carry a sub 3 inch non locking blade.

Edited by Delboysparky

I just do not get this world today when I was young back in the 50/60s all of the boys had a penknife and the boy scouts had 4" knifes on there belts and loads of kids had airguns I do not understand what changed did children suddenly turn in to mad killers that cannot be trusted I think I am just getting to old for this modern world.

I have three assorted knives in the glove box of my truck . They are there permanently to be used as and when I am out shooting . I also have two knives in my fishing tackle box ,they live in the box . I also have a buck knife Bowie bladed knife in my decoy bag for chopping hides into hedge rows . And do you know what I have also been known to carry shotguns and rifles in the truck . What a load of old tosh some of these petty laws are .

Harnser

A friend of mine was stopped some years ago and the police noticed a balisong knife in his van. Initially the police were suggesting prosecuting him for having it until he pointed out (that like you) he had an axe, hatchet and hammers various other implements of destruction in the back of the van. The police decided not to press the issue.

I must admit it does amuse me that I can legally drive around with a boot full of shotguns and yet potentially be charged because I`m carrying a 3" bladed lock knife.

A friend of mine was stopped some years ago and the police noticed a balisong knife in his van. Initially the police were suggesting prosecuting him for having it until he pointed out (that like you) he had an axe, hatchet and hammers various other implements of destruction in the back of the van. The police decided not to press the issue.

I must admit it does amuse me that I can legally drive around with a boot full of shotguns and yet potentially be charged because I`m carrying a 3" bladed lock knife.

Well a Ballisong is a prohibited item and listed speciffically so I am surprised he walked away from it.

The law is nonesense

But Stricly speaking u can't thou, well not all the time. Really u could carry ur guns the same times as u carry a knife as u have good reason.

But i do think the polis would say something just going shopping with a boot full of guns

All of these laws relating to knives don't seem to make a lot of difference to knife crime do they? What happened to Cameroons "getting tough on knife crime"

I suppose its like other aspects of our pass times (tickets, certificates, rod licence etc.) Only there to keep honest people in check, the daft lads don't give a stuff.

The 'get tough' talk only occurs when there is a major incident. We just have to be sensible and not draw attention to ourselves - the headlines would of course be "...gun owner arrested for carrying illegal knives". I've always had a pocket knife with me even when I was doing the day job in a suit. I've lost a couple at airports when all this silliness began. Now I only carry a small non-locking knife other than when I'm out shooting. I do have a larger locking knife hidden in my 4x4 just in case.

In reality it comes down to the copper on the day and how he interprets the situation. Its as vague as that and you can't get a definition that's watertight. You can say 'probably' or 'most likely'. You can even say 'highly unlikely' but you can never really be totally sure these days.

When I was a kid every boy scout walked round with a sheath knife on his belt. Wore it to school, or for church parade, went on the bus etc.

Edited by Vince Green

In reality it comes down to the copper on the day and how he interprets the situation. Its as vague as that and you can't get a definition that's watertight. You can say 'probably' or 'most likely'. You can even say 'highly unlikely' but you can never really be totally sure these days.

When I was a kid every boy scout walked round with a sheath knife on his belt. Wore it to school, or for church parade, went on the bus etc.

It was normal.

Didn't take mine to school much though...... mine was an 8inch Bowie! .....and I still have it in a drawer at home