Is it me?

Scully

From the article highlighted by Scully;

"Lord Shrewsbury’s proposed amendment to the Policing and Crime Bill 2016 would delete the proposed exemption for airsofters from the Firearms Acts, meaning any automatic airsoft gun developing a muzzle energy greater than 1 joule would be treated in the same way as, say, a 20mm belt-fed anti-aircraft cannon".

We really do NOT need this sort of thing!

Looks like amendment proposed by a bird-brain. Was the noble lord a Swift in some previous incarnation?

That adjective made me think of velocity, so I looked on the internet for information about other sports. According to my calculations, the kinetic energy being described as "lethal" is actually lower than that of a ping-pong ball.

Table tennis ball 1.2J (2.7g @ 30m/s)

Football 140J (450g @ 25m/s)

Tennis ball 142J (58g @ 70m/s)

Cricket ball 162J (160g @ 45m/s)

Of course my internet sources might not be accurate, so it would be good to know whether anybody has better data. Also, someone might like to check my arithmetic.

How do the numbers of serious injuries each year from air-soft guns compare with those caused by cricket balls, I wonder?

Of course my internet sources might not be accurate, so it would be good to know whether anybody has better data. Also, someone might like to check my arithmetic.

When I responded to the Scottish Air Weapons petition, I noted a couple of things along similar lines in my responses.

The first was that the average flying wood pigeon (1lb bird at 40mph+) had about 4½ times the kinetic energy (72J) of the average full-power no-FAC air rifle projectile and injured a greater number of people each year than air rifles did. I then went on to observe that this might happen rather more often if the Scottish government decided to remove all such air rifles from private hands.

The second observation was that the Firearms Acts still describe sub-12ftlbs air rifles as "not specifically dangerous", which led me to ask why such items were the object of new legislation in the first place.

Needless to say, neither of these points, valid as they may have been, appeared to convince the Scottish Government of their folly, but I mention them both now to highlight my agreement with the sheer bloody ridiculousness of the aforementioned proposals.

For God's sake - my fingers are hitting the keys typing this post with more than a Joule of kinetic energy each time and I'm not even typing aggressively because I'm grumpy.... Bah!

Edited by neutron619

Let me get this right.

He's the president of the Gun Trade Association. Not some nutjob anti, but the president of the GTA.

Yet he's come up with the most ridiculous firearms licencing proposal ever.

Somehow, I can't see his presidency being unchallenged, for some reason ... as the advert used to say, "That bloke's a nutter !"

Let me get this right.

He's the president of the Gun Trade Association. Not some nutjob anti, but the president of the GTA.

Yet he's come up with the most ridiculous firearms licencing proposal ever.

Somehow, I can't see his presidency being unchallenged, for some reason ... as the advert used to say, "That bloke's a nutter !"

+1

Looks like amendment proposed by a bird-brain. Was the noble lord a Swift in some previous incarnation?

That adjective made me think of velocity, so I looked on the internet for information about other sports. According to my calculations, the kinetic energy being described as "lethal" is actually lower than that of a ping-pong ball.

Table tennis ball 1.2J (2.7g @ 30m/s)

Football 140J (450g @ 25m/s)

Tennis ball 142J (58g @ 70m/s)

Cricket ball 162J (160g @ 45m/s)

How do the numbers of serious injuries each year from air-soft guns compare with those caused by cricket balls, I wonder?

Thanks for taking the time to compile that McS, and posting it on here. Food for thought indeed.

I get the impression sometimes that there are those in positions of influence and authority who still have the notion that the traditional form of live quarry shooting is still perceived as the only type of shooting which is socially acceptable. I'm afraid those days are gone.

The romance and acceptability of shooting for the pot has not only dwindled but is totally unnecessary, nowadays, and the class war is still alive and well; in fact its positively thriving.

With the advent of TV and movies came the glamourising of guns, and the anti hero has superseded the traditional hero such as Shane, and in simplistic terms therefore guns in general receive a bad press. I believe ( and may well be wrong ) that Lord wotsisname may well have believed he was acting in the name of the preservation of traditional 'sport' shooting with his proposal, believing it would disassociate the more ( in his view.....and he wouldnt be alone here would he? ) shall we say 'unacceptable' side of guns ownership from what he perceives to be the acceptable side; very much akin to the CPSA's attempt to disassociate it's sort of shooting from the sort of shooting carried out by those who liked to kill live quarry.

When I was a kid boys had toy guns and the shops were full of them. When was the last time you heard a boy shout, 'bang...you're dead' . Now it is not only frowned upon, it is actively legislated against. Ironically there are now more illegally held examples of real guns on our streets than at any other time, even when more than is now, were legally owned, and we have more armed police on our streets than ever before. Weird eh?

Methinks Lord thingie may have his priorities wrong.