Alaskan bush people

cromwell7

My eldest son liked to watch it for all the wilderness aspects of it but billy the dad gets on my nerves! Same ol' drama from him,

"If we don't make this boat work we're in trouble"

(Whilst on the bloody boat) "If we don't get pass this storm we could be done for"

(Still on the bloody boat) "if we don't deliver this cargo on time we might not get any repeat business"

"If we don't scare the bear away he could come right through our camp"

Low and behold at the end of each episode everything comes good in the end. :lol:

I've an Alaskan connection - by marriage, not choice - and this doesn't surprise me at all. Had one of them visit us in the UK and breakfast was a 6 pack of Buds. Went sturgeon fishing on the Collumbian river (Oregon) and at 6am when we were ordering coffee he was picking up his breakfast - another 6 pack. USA has more than its fair share of (religious) nutters - the Constitution actually encourages this - and in a State such as Alaska where the weather is extreme and they have 6months of darkness coupled with the mixture of races ie Indian, Russian, and a smattering of Irish from settlers you have to be slightly odd to live there. Look at Sarah Palin!

• 2 months later...

Alaska the last frontier is ok to watch and Mountain Men the one with Marty the mad flying trapper who lives alone in the wilds for months on end. Ice Lake rebels the program where they live on boats to save paying taxes?

I watch most of these but Mountain Men is the best, they're all such characters and its interesting seeing how they survive on a predominantly meat diet. I like Tom and Eustace most, the thing I keep thinking about is how these people must have a whiff about them as they obviously don't get to shower too regularly.

Marty is my choice.

Having done a bit of bush piloting myself I know he is in a serious situation if his plane gets pranged somewhere out there in nowhere land.

No radar coverage and he can't phone the AA.

His cabin building with a chainsaw and a big hammer was a revelation.

I understand that it is hammed up for the camera crew but if that is the way he lives when they are not there then he is one hell of a resourceful character.

Marty is my choice.

Having done a bit of bush piloting myself I know he is in a serious situation if his plane gets pranged somewhere out there in nowhere land.

No radar coverage and he can't phone the AA.

His cabin building with a chainsaw and a big hammer was a revelation.

I understand that it is hammed up for the camera crew but if that is the way he lives when they are not there then he is one hell of a resourceful character.

Tom is one person who I'd like to spend time with. Watching him trapping and skinning would be great.

Tom Ord must have had one hard life as he looks older than his mother. The only one i am not fussed on is the one who has a limp and takes his wimp of a son out to try and teach him the ways.

:lol::lol::lol: Hamster as for showers they get one every year whether they need one or not

Tom is my favourite he seems like a fairly normal bloke who lives comfortably doing something he loves. I think he used to ride rodeo which is why he's half crippled. But he makes some really tidy stuff.

Correct, and he seems to be the only genuine one of the all. As I mentioned, watching him trapping/skinning/tanning and making knives etc would be great.

Here's a link to him.

http://www.ipra-rodeo.com/tom-oar-the-cowboy-mountain-man/

Tom Ord must have had one hard life as he looks older than his mother. The only one i am not fussed on is the one who has a limp and takes his wimp of a son out to try and teach him the ways.

:lol::lol::lol: Hamster as for showers they get one every year whether they need one or not

I have to agree he comes across as the most fake/set up. I can't get enough of Eustace's smiles and enthusiasm so he makes up for it.

The programs are made to look as if they are on there own out in the wilderness . What about the camera man and the sound man and the production team ? A load of old tosh ,but worth watching for the views of real wild country in the Alaskan winter and the hunting scenes .

Harnser