Should you pay for 2 plumbers when only one is required

discobob

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So 60 less the vat =50 then the apprentice is on say £60 a day so with the van costs say it's lease van and the insurance tax and public liability insurance etc it's not people need to earn a living. So £50 x8 hr day =£400 less £60 for the lad who would be a asset to get it done in 8hrs fetching from the van clearing up etc and learning. Then take the daily running costs of a business plus the 1.5 hrs for quote so less running costs mine are aprox £60 a day so that's down to £280 so ÷ 8 =£35 per hr right now take you car to a garage do you quibble that? Small business need can't work for free take the 4 weeks in paid holidays out all the hours extra worked. Do some maths.

So 60 less the vat =50 then the apprentice is on say £60 a day so with the van costs say it's lease van and the insurance tax and public liability insurance etc it's not people need to earn a living. So £50 x8 hr day =£400 less £60 for the lad who would be a asset to get it done in 8hrs fetching from the van clearing up etc and learning. Then take the daily running costs of a business plus the 1.5 hrs for quote so less running costs mine are aprox £60 a day so that's down to £280 so ÷ 8 =£35 per hr right now take you car to a garage do you quibble that? Small business need can't work for free take the 4 weeks in paid holidays out all the hours extra worked. Do some maths.

the joys of the salaried people being on 50 grand a year moaning about the self employed making a living and working 14+ hours a day .

you have had a quote except it or go else where , that's the idea of having the quote surely ???

Talk about the moaning of life lol

Sorry Magman - I am self employed and have been for 14 years mate - I have done the lot so you are preaching to the converted.

Edited by discobob

He has to pay his self for the time he spends quoting for jobs and not getting them! People on salaries don't have to quote jobs for free

see my reply above - I have the same problem - but I travel nation wide - if you don't like it get a salaried job - go work for a company and get your 4 weeks holiday

again - see my posts above - I know all about being self employed and unlike a lot of cash trades where a lot will be lucky to be declaring 50% to the taxman - every penny is accounted for and taxed etc..I wouldn't mind paying for an apprentice - but he isn't - his lad is apparently a plumber in his own right - to me it is looking to milk a cow - as I implied earlier - 2 men physically wouldnt be able to work in there - all pipes are in place - no soldering no nothing - fit only job.- oh - also you are jumping the gun - the guy isn't VAT registered

I have plasterers coming in next week for 2 days - 2 men - lad and dad as well funny enough - and I am paying them their quote and have used them before and know their work - and will give them a tip as I have done previously because I believe they are under charging for the work

I seem to have rubbed up some peoples backs with this thread - I think mainly down to people not reading my original post I feel

So to recap

The second guy is not an apprentice (hence the title of 2 plumbers

The plumber said that the money was equal for him and his son

The space the work is being carried out in is limited and it would not be possible for two people to be able to work in there

Tools needed - Drill, spanners, pipe slice, screwdriver

No new pipes/plumbing - just connecting flexi's, waste etc..

Our system takes about 15 minutes to drain down - and there is a pipe to connect up to run it to a drain.

No parts needed to be supplied

Some people seem to think that I should give my hard earned cash away because somebody comes, sees the house and chances their arm - as I original come from a mining community and rough estate, and served Queen and country for 13 years - I know the value of money and I have to graft for what I get paid - and I get paid the same day rate if I do 8 hours or 18 hours

I begrudge paying top whack and getting monkeys.

I've been lucky and found an excellent builder/heating engineer, however, friends and colleagues have endless tales of woe about (expensive) cowboys.

Why is it so difficult to get well-qualified, trustworthy tradesmen? Is it any wonder that the OP is suspicious automatically, when there are more rip-off merchants than decent professionals out there?

Edited by Flashman

And I have paid top whack for jobs that have been left dangerous by supposed experts - and I mean a proper risk to life - one I rectified myself - the other cost me £2.5k to put right

Just because somebody charges a lot does not mean that they are good - and vice versa

I wasn't having go at you, it was aimed at the posts who said "do it yourself". If you feel you need to get someone in to do a good job, then your probably right. Yes, just because you pay good money doesn't mean you will get a good job. i use many sub contractors, but alot of them only once!!

I wasn't having go at you, it was aimed at the posts who said "do it yourself". If you feel you need to get someone in to do a good job, then your probably right. Yes, just because you pay good money doesn't mean you will get a good job. i use many sub contractors, but alot of them only once!!

Fully agree :)

Years ago (over 17) some prize winky quoted me £700 to plumb in a bathroom. The only work to do was the water feed, hot and cold to WC, Bath and basin.

Needless to say he didn't get anything from me. I would have rather him say he was too busy, forgot to mention,, he asked if I was interested in a new bathroom suite.

You asked for a price.you were given this.if the price was more than you wanted to pay then make other arrangements. What difference do you think it would make to the price if one man turned up to do the job or a dozen.i do not get every job I quote for but I can get more work than I can handle if I work for nothing.

Next favourite quote : " I could do it myself but.........I'm too busy.......I've got a bad back...etc etc...."

Price doubles then lol.

lol or the old diy flat caper with a bit of know how looking over you shoulder all day.

bit like having a pet parrot.

anyway i think it was a fair quote for discobob.

lets face it plumbers arrival on job requires instant red carpets and sprinkled rose petals which don't come cheap.

Edited by Remimax

As a professional building services engineer i see a lot of this from both sides.

people getting building work done in their homes seem to think that if the appropriate hourly wage for a tradesman is X that they should pay that X .

Even if the tradesman is a sole trader and there is no company management or admin wages to be covered the tradesman will have costs related to his vehicle, tools, telephone, website. fees to statutory bodies /trade schemes, and statutory training in some cases. Also he will need allow for the time spent doing quotations.

customer supplied materials also opens another can of worms to the tradesman. - Firstly it is very unlikely that the client will really have supplied all the materials required to complete the installation. The client may have supplied the bathroom suite and taps etc but will he supply the pipe, fittings, valves, pan connector,traps etc that are required or the consumables- gas/solder /flux/paste/mastic etc. Secondly if the client does supply all that was required, its probable that there will be some fitting or other that was either forgotten or that becomes apparent to be necessary during the course of the work. A trip out to a supplier during the day will add time to the job for the tradesman.

As a professional building services engineer i see a lot of this from both sides.

people getting building work done in their homes seem to think that if the appropriate hourly wage for a tradesman is X that they should pay that X .

Even if the tradesman is a sole trader and there is no company management or admin wages to be covered the tradesman will have costs related to his vehicle, tools, telephone, website. fees to statutory bodies /trade schemes, and statutory training in some cases. Also he will need allow for the time spent doing quotations.

customer supplied materials also opens another can of worms to the tradesman. - Firstly it is very unlikely that the client will really have supplied all the materials required to complete the installation. The client may have supplied the bathroom suite and taps etc but will he supply the pipe, fittings, valves, pan connector,traps etc that are required or the consumables- gas/solder /flux/paste/mastic etc. Secondly if the client does supply all that was required, its probable that there will be some fitting or other that was either forgotten or that becomes apparent to be necessary during the course of the work. A trip out to a supplier during the day will add time to the job for the tradesman.

I have a comprehensive set of T&C's which cover most situations which are agreed to by accepting my quotes, that being so these situations don't bother me as i have covered my bottom

I seem to have rubbed up some peoples backs with this thread - I think mainly down to people not reading my original post I feel

So to recap

The second guy is not an apprentice (hence the title of 2 plumbers

The plumber said that the money was equal for him and his son

The space the work is being carried out in is limited and it would not be possible for two people to be able to work in there

Tools needed - Drill, spanners, pipe slice, screwdriver

No new pipes/plumbing - just connecting flexi's, waste etc..

Our system takes about 15 minutes to drain down - and there is a pipe to connect up to run it to a drain.

No parts needed to be supplied

Some people seem to think that I should give my hard earned cash away because somebody comes, sees the house and chances their arm - as I original come from a mining community and rough estate, and served Queen and country for 13 years - I know the value of money and I have to graft for what I get paid - and I get paid the same day rate if I do 8 hours or 18 hours

I'm not sure you're doing the whole self employed thing right.... ;)

Edited by LondonLuke

customer supplied materials also opens another can of worms to the tradesman. - Firstly it is very unlikely that the client will really have supplied all the materials required to complete the installation .

I get it often.

Plumber :"have you checked the bathroom stuff you got from victoran bathrooms"?

Customer: "yes checked everything"

You get there on a Monday morning,everything is still boxed up. The basin is broke, wastes are missing and the latest one we had was no legs for the bath!!!