any land refused for rifle

oowee

Has anyone had a piece of land turned down for a calibre of rifle?

I am on a restricted ticket and have to check that each piece of land has been cleared. Whilst many of the places are there are still many that are not listed and need to be checked. Not wanting to get into discussion about the whole ridiculous process of land approval It would be interesting to know how often it happens and the circumstances.

Has anyone had a piece of land turned down for a calibre of rifle?

I am on a restricted ticket and have to check that each piece of land has been cleared. Whilst many of the places are there are still many that are not listed and need to be checked. Not wanting to get into discussion about the whole ridiculous process of land approval It would be interesting to know how often it happens and the circumstances.

the poor ******* have not got enough time to check of everything you sent in lol

The entire process of 'land approval' has me baffled to be honest. In all the years I've been shooting I have yet to meet anyone who has had land cleared or checked for shooting over, let alone land refused.

Do the police actually go out and physically check land is safe to shoot over? If so what qualifies the person doing the checking?

Had land checked for my first 243, the FEO did come out and drove around the concrete road that runs through the middle of the farm, he asked me the soil type ie stoney etc, he could have quite easily just opened his car door and looked. He also asked me a few questions like will I be using high seats. Its 500 acres and he passed it, it had originally been passed for .22 LR as the farmer had one.

Easy bits are assessed on Google earth, the ones that are probably ok, why not if just confirming what they believe to be true? More difficult bits are done via site visit, or that is what happened for me some 10 years ago. They were concerned about 243 on a 500 acre bit of land because of a road and path. To be fair they were correct, as both are very well used. I pointed out that they are so well used the deer were rarely seen in these areas and if we planned to shoot them in other areas, it would be from a high seat backing onto the roads and paths if necessary in these areas, and after that, basically after confirming we had assessed the problems and come up with suitable solutions were totally happy. Now with an open ticket i shoot there with a 3006, no problem.

I can understand their concerns, i read some really worrying questions on forums and Facebook about this, and in most cases it is common sense. That said most cops have no idea about firearms, but if you explain, as in show you do understand them there is rarely a problem.

Over the years I have come up against the good, bad and ugly with land approval. Had one many years ago who actually had never fired a centre fire rifle, come out to check my 600 acres in Herefordshire and looked at the map and said "Oh I see a railway line crossing here , well yes that would make a back stop". I pointed out it was actually a Beeching line and was level with the surrounding ground. I then pointed out the safe areas and the high seats , explained where and where not a shot would be taken and the ground was approved. If your putting a piece of land in for approval then do your homework. Have a map or print off from G Earth, show all public footpaths and also indicate where you will be putting high seats to cover areas where shooting from the ground may not be prudent. Also point out the ground, e.g good loamy soil to absorb a shot etc etc. Done this two or three times and had success where not doing it would have failed. What your doing, is showing them your way ahead of them in your approach to safe shooting on the ground.

Had one recently where initially it may have failed but the mention of two high seats and pointing out locations where shooting would be dangerous resulted in an immediate approval. Hope this helps. At the end of the day almost all land is safe to shoot on but even a nice rolling hill side can be dangerous if the idiot carrying the rifle shoots at a deer outlined against the sky line.

I'm following this thread with interest. Years ago I asked for .222 on a piece of ground. It was refused on the land approval by the flo and only passed for .22 rimfire. Since then a new flo took over and he passed the same ground for .223. The land I shoot on now was initially passed by the first flo for just .22 rimfire. So I've decided to try my luck during my renewal and I've asked for HMR (although wish I'd asked for .17 hornet). I'm currently preparing an argument for my case. One of my points is the HO guidelines which basically say that an flo should take into account the experience of others such as gamekeepers and experienced shooters. I don't think that will have been done.

Over the years I have come up against the good, bad and ugly with land approval. Had one many years ago who actually had never fired a centre fire rifle, come out to check my 600 acres in Herefordshire and looked at the map and said "Oh I see a railway line crossing here , well yes that would make a back stop". I pointed out it was actually a Beeching line and was level with the surrounding ground. I then pointed out the safe areas and the high seats , explained where and where not a shot would be taken and the ground was approved. If your putting a piece of land in for approval then do your homework. Have a map or print off from G Earth, show all public footpaths and also indicate where you will be putting high seats to cover areas where shooting from the ground may not be prudent. Also point out the ground, e.g good loamy soil to absorb a shot etc etc. Done this two or three times and had success where not doing it would have failed. What your doing, is showing them your way ahead of them in your approach to safe shooting on the ground.

Had one recently where initially it may have failed but the mention of two high seats and pointing out locations where shooting would be dangerous resulted in an immediate approval. Hope this helps. At the end of the day almost all land is safe to shoot on but even a nice rolling hill side can be dangerous if the idiot carrying the rifle shoots at a deer outlined against the sky line.

Interesting approach. I find the visits cursory. Conversations along the line that its done to remove the liability from the police. Some of the land i shoot on is totally flat with footpaths but I am happy and the fao is happy if the shots are taken from an elevated spot so the land is signed off. Its on that basis that i am interested in where its not agreed.

I am also told that where land is agreed for .22 then hmr (rimfire) is allowed as its in the same 'group'.

My ex FEO was walking the land of one of my permission's(300acres) along the hedgerow's all on his own and nearly had heart attack when a voice piped up "Hello paul" and a large cammo'd up figure of one of his other customer's emerged from the hedge, He cleared the land for any 22cf calibre but you could see him wince when I mentioned 220 Swift jokingly but I settled on 222win

The crazy thing about all this, is we know just how dangerous a 22RF is, in comparison to a 17HMR or even a serious deer rifle. They are all dangerous if in the wrong hands.

Explain to me how more dangerous a 257 Roberts is against a 243Win or a 222Rem, yet I know of one area where it was suggested a 22CF would be OK but not a 243Win. On what evidence ?

Prepare your groundwork prior to the visit. Prove you are responsible by pointing out how you will shoot over the area and you are fully aware of how the land lies and in most cases you will get ground cleared. Let us be honest, a careless discharge of any rifle can finish up in the next county ..literally.

Edited by Walker570

My ex FEO was walking the land of one of my permission's(300acres) along the hedgerow's all on his own and nearly had heart attack when a voice piped up "Hello paul" and a large cammo'd up figure of one of his other customer's emerged from the hedge, He cleared the land for any 22cf calibre but you could see him wince when I mentioned 220 Swift jokingly but I settled on 222win

I would have loved to have been there ... laughed my socks off :lol: . If you see him again, ask him about me shooting the running deer target in Sweden.

my friend owns his farm, but suffolk won't let him have a .30 cal on his land (he has a open cert). I shoot on his land under essex and can use 300 win mag. which is safer to use there than the land that mine is cleared for. he has tried to get his land reassesed but they will not up the calibre on the land.

my friend owns his farm, but suffolk won't let him have a .30 cal on his land (he has a open cert). I shoot on his land under essex and can use 300 win mag. which is safer to use there than the land that mine is cleared for. he has tried to get his land reassesed but they will not up the calibre on the land.

But he has an open cert?

I don't know what you mean you can shoot it under Essex, the land is cleared by the covering force.

The entire process of 'land approval' has me baffled to be honest. In all the years I've been shooting I have yet to meet anyone who has had land cleared or checked for shooting over, let alone land refused.

FEO walked around all my permission with me before granting my ticket...they do check in durham

exactly what i told him. the guy has about 30 farms and they still would rather send someone out eventually :hmm:

They wont open my ticket. Ive been shooting since I was 8 now 32, but only had fac of my own for about 2/3 years due to not having a need for one until now where I have started to get back into pest control and stalking. They say lack of experience. So each time I call, they just say ok thanks..