Air ambulance

Davyo

Had them out to my old man yesterday. He managed to drop an oak the wrong way and got caught under it. Bust his leg in several places, still, it could've been worse. The ground crew and helicopter crew were great, it helped that I work with them all!

Of all the things that are a drain on the public purse I really wouldn't mind them being one.

I can understand wanting to be a charity to give themselves some flexibility, (government procurement is a pain) but would be nice if the UK governmemt dipped into their pocket for the odd boat or helicopter.

The Freemasons gave them a few million quid to buy another helicopter in London. Fair play.

Incidentally, did you know that the 'p' in 'helicopter' is silent?

It's the same silent 'p' as in 'pterodactyl'.

Fun fact.

LS

Had them out to my old man yesterday. He managed to drop an oak the wrong way and got caught under it. Bust his leg in several places, still, it could've been worse. The ground crew and helicopter crew were great, it helped that I work with them all!

Sorry to hear that Med. I hope he will be OK and recovers quickly. W.

Thanks. He's ok, had surgery today to pin the leg. He seems in good spirits apart from embarrassed from being so daft dropping the tree! I watched it happen, I must admit I thought he was dead. Thankfully just his leg though.

https://mobile.twitter.com/maahmed09/status/838902957898878977

Edited by Medic1281

• 6 months later...

I've just come back from seeing some of the most impressive flying skills I've ever seen from the Yorkshire air ambulance, the pilot dropped it into a tiny spot on a the river bank between a load of trees, he certainly earned his wages today. I was too busy to get any pics of that landing but I've never seen a herd of cows move so fast when he dropped the casualty off to a road ambulance at the top of the hill.

post-8521-0-79298400-1507554120_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Jonty

The only time I've seem 1 up close they almost got the heli stuck, landed it on a grouse moor to pick up a gun who sadly died in the butt.

The heli landed/hovered just behind the butts but then really struggled to take off again u could hear the engines revving then it just sort of popped out with peat all over its wheels/landing gear.

They really are an amazing resource and were very lucky to have them, esp outside type folk

Always attend the charity shoots in aid of the air ambulance as much as I can. I’d much rather put in than takeout but when you need one you hope it’s there for you.

Everybody I know has the utmost respect for the crew of the air ambulances and the work they undertake.

Always attend the charity shoots in aid of the air ambulance as much as I can. I’d much rather put in than takeout but when you need one you hope it’s there for you.

Everybody I know has the utmost respect for the crew of the air ambulances and the work they undertake.

Agreed, the fact that they can deliver a highly qualified team of medics so quickly to some pretty inaccessible spots is fantastic. I too hope that I'll never be on the receiving end of their services but I'm always glad to see them helping out in our part of the world.

It also must be a pretty cool job to have too!! Over the last few months I've seen them land on ingleborough, pen y ghent and malham cove, that's not a bad office to have eh?

Up this neck of the woods, it's an invaluable resource given the distances to A&E attached to fully equipped hospitals. Especially in the summer when we've high tourist numbers having accidents and or generally clogging up the roads. 2+ hours to a proper hospital in summer is the norm by road.

Between the air ambulance and coat guard helicopter (and the RAF when they covered remote emergency calls), there's a lot of people still with us who simply wouldn't be, but for their efforts.

anyone else think they should charge the idiots who get stuck up a mountain in flip flops?

No. Ridicule is a better way forward. Mountain rescue team participation in the UK is conducted on a voluntary basis coordinated by the police, anything that alters that, professional footing etc. would be to the detriment of the service. There'll always be idiots, and we have to put up with those, not rewrite policy that affects the vast majority on account of a vanishingly small number of eejits.

I tried to find a link to a piece regarding a barefooted guy who had to be lifted off the hill with his flip-flopped mate who broke his ankle on the hill in Badenoch a few years back, but I can't find it. The leader of the rescue team in question had some, choice words to describe the pair.

The air ambulance doesn't respond to mountain rescue callouts, thats the job of the coast guard, in scotland at any rate. They may evacuate casualties from safe landing locations once casualties have been recovered off the hill, but they don't rescue people on the hill, generally.

Seriously good pilots. Saw one land on playing fields surrounded by power cables a few weeks ago. I hope I never need their services, but I'm glad they will be around if I ever do.

Along with the RNLI it's shocking they are charities.

Foreign Aid far more important! I agree with you I don't agree they should be a charity they are a vital public service that should be funded as such by Government.

Edited by JRDS

anyone else think they should charge the idiots who get stuck up a mountain in flip flops?

I'm with uilleachan on this, every volunteer knows there will be an element of foolish or poorly equipped 'casualties' who need rescuing along with the more deserving cases, if that's going to bug you then the simple answer is not to volunteer. Usually the realisation of what they e done and a gentle nudge in the ribs is sufficient for them to learn from. The implications of charging would then knock on to legislation and then government intervention and we all know how useful input from Whitehall is.

Teams are left to devise their own policies, training and equipment selection etc, and can tailor their services down to their own area and this ensures that local knowledge and expertise mean they can give the best, albeit voluntary, service.