Repeat prescription tablets

Bigbob

Ive noticed when you go to the chemist to get a repeat prescription you never seem to get the same tablets by the same manufactures twice its obviously comes down to where they can source them the cheapest ?. now the tablets should be identical in there make up but i'm sure different brand have different affects on me ? anybody else think so ?or is it all just in the mind ?.

My Doctor always prescribed me Clarityn which is brand name for my hay fever instead of the generic loratadine which is identical but a lot cheaper. The pharmacist asked me to tell the Doctor not to use brand names. I mentioned it next time and got Clarityn again, :)

Ive noticed when you go to the chemist to get a repeat prescription you never seem to get the same tablets by the same manufactures twice its obviously comes down to where they can source them the cheapest ?. now the tablets should be identical in there make up but i'm sure different brand have different affects on me ? anybody else think so ?or is it all just in the mind ?.

My daughter is epileptic, her consultant has said NOT to change brands, so far our local chemist has supplied the correctly branded medication. But yes- it sounds like there could be some variation between manufacturers.

I have Salbutemol inhaler for asthma relief.

For years it's was always 'Ventolin' and periodically dependant on what the pharmacy has in stock I've had different brands some of which have made me wheeze worse or given no relief.

I believe some of the generic Salbutemol inhalers use different ingredients/propellants.

I've mentioned this to Dr's and he prescribes 'ventolin'

I have Salbutemol inhaler for asthma relief.

For years it's was always 'Ventolin' and periodically dependant on what the pharmacy has in stock I've had different brands some of which have made me wheeze worse or given no relief.

I believe some of the generic Salbutemol inhalers use different ingredients/propellants.

I've mentioned this to Dr's and he prescribes 'ventolin'

Exactly the same for me as well,same for my nebuliser nebules.

Cheers. Vulture

Definitely not in your mind. My chemist once rang me to ask if I minded if they changed the brand of a cream that was on my prescription. Apparently the one the doctor had written up was £300 for a 50gm tube!

When you hear prices like that it makes you really appreciate the NHS and our cheap prescriptions.

Definitely not in your mind. My chemist once rang me to ask if I minded if they changed the brand of a cream that was on my prescription. Apparently the one the doctor had written up was £300 for a 50gm tube!

When you hear prices like that it makes you really appreciate the NHS and our cheap prescriptions.

I don't think people realise how much most drugs do indeed cost!

Re the initial question, as a general rule generic medicines are EXACTLY the same, no difference whatsoever, the laws are strict.

There are some medicines however that can be different, but not the pharmacological activity, more to do with absorption or 'bio-availability' that can effect the efficacy of the drug. Some of the excipients may differ, changing the rate of absorption, but these must be within guidelines and not affect the safety of the drug.

It should be noted though, that a generic drug may intentionally be different, law states that there should be 'bio-equivalence' if it is to be a generic competitor, thats really up to the skill of the pharmacist to interpret.

As already stated, anti-epileptics are one of these groups of medicines that a Dr would prescribe a specific brand, there are others, but not many.

What is interesting is, that Ventolin has been mentioned, there is several cohorts of evidence suggesting that large percentages of patients can detect a difference between Ventolin and generic salbutamol, my 4 year old son is an example, his asthma is easier controlled with ventolin. This really should not be the case, but it is......

Edited by kyska

My Doctor always prescribed me Clarityn which is brand name for my hay fever instead of the generic loratadine which is identical but a lot cheaper. The pharmacist asked me to tell the Doctor not to use brand names. I mentioned it next time and got Clarityn again, :)

Try asda's own brand off the shelf .... cheap as chips and work for me ... been suffering with the fever for more than 40 years and must have spent a reirement fund with the NHS up until giving the supermarket brand a try.

Makes you realise how the NHS is being ripped off compared to other European countries.

I don't mind if they source it cheaper, I just want the same shape, size and colour of all of my tablets every month.

I decant them weekly in to a Pill Minder and I like to know, at a glance, that I have got the correct tablets in the correct compartments, simples.

This is why pharmacists ask doctors to prescribe the drug rather than the brand.

If a doctor prescribes neurofen for example, the pharmacist HAS to dispense neurofen, if the dr prescribes ibuprofen, then the pharmacist can dispense any ibuprofen which matches the prescription.

This is so the drugs that HAVE to be branded are always dispensed.

Kyska above gives some good information re the question asked and as said all medicines are regulated tightly by the Medicines health regulatory authority (MHRA

As part of the prescribing process, prescribing generically (non proprietary) is encouraged, this enables any suitable product to be dispensed saving delay to the patient and sometimes a saving to the nhs.

The British National Formulary (BNF prescribers bible) states " The only exception is where there is a demonstrable difference in clinical effect between the manufacturers version of the formulation, making it important that the patient always receives the same brand, in such cases the brand name or manufacturer should be stated".

Re cost i will give you an recent example of a change in prescribing practice for one small area in primary care (community ) for some medicines both on prescription. Many trusts make up the total of services across the uk so multiplied.

changed one single specific brand of transdermal patch analgesia (pain patch absorbed through skin) to a generic biosimlar medicine (see kyska above) made a cost saving of approx £300, 000 (yes three hundred thousand before anyone thinks it is a typo?) in 12 month period alone.

in the bnf:

generic transdermal x5 patch 12mcg per 1 hour approx cost £12.59

brand transdermal x5 patch 12mcg per 1 hour approx cost £ 18.11

another change made to E45 brand cream to as biosimlar emollient cream for topical application (onto skin) made cost saving of £30,000 in a 12 month period.

When prescribing the E.A.S.E process is central to the process.

The drug:

is it Effective ?

is it Appropriate ?

is it Safe ?

is it cost Effective ?

As you can see that is just a couple of real examples of savings, the nhs has had a huge overhaul of its prescribing practice and medicines management in the last three years for the most effective use of resources. Cost alone to the nhs in medicines from 2014-15 was approx 20 billion alone, 1.25 million prescriptions dispensed daily, over a billion a year and growing Admin cost to nhs for every single px cost approx £10 outside of cost of medicine just to throw you some numbers. Could go on and on. These are all recent stats.

Any way just off for a meal, that's me done!

atb

7diaw

I don't think people realise how much most drugs do indeed cost!

Re the initial question, as a general rule generic medicines are EXACTLY the same, no difference whatsoever, the laws are strict.

There are some medicines however that can be different, but not the pharmacological activity, more to do with absorption or 'bio-availability' that can effect the efficacy of the drug. Some of the excipients may differ, changing the rate of absorption, but these must be within guidelines and not affect the safety of the drug.

It should be noted though, that a generic drug may intentionally be different, law states that there should be 'bio-equivalence' if it is to be a generic competitor, thats really up to the skill of the pharmacist to interpret.

As already stated, anti-epileptics are one of these groups of medicines that a Dr would prescribe a specific brand, there are others, but not many.

What is interesting is, that Ventolin has been mentioned, there is several cohorts of evidence suggesting that large percentages of patients can detect a difference between Ventolin and generic salbutamol, my 4 year old son is an example, his asthma is easier controlled with ventolin. This really should not be the case, but it is......

Very contradicting post, after reading it I'm none the wiser.....

Go on...

You say - "medicines have to be the same by strict laws", then you said "There are some medicines however that can be different, but not the pharmacological activity, more to do with absorption or 'bio-availability' that can effect the efficacy of the drug. Some of the excipients may differ, changing the rate of absorption"

Not really making medicines the same after all.

Exactly the same for me as well,same for my nebuliser nebules.

Cheers. Vulture

Interesting that you mention the nebules,

I think only Once have I ever dispensed an alternative brand of nebules.

I used them and noticed no lack of effectiveness or other ill effect which lead me to believe that the difference I've experienced with genetic Salbutemol inhalers over is due to different ingredients/propellants used in the inhalers but not in a nebuliser.

You say - "medicines have to be the same by strict laws", then you said "There are some medicines however that can be different, but not the pharmacological activity, more to do with absorption or 'bio-availability' that can effect the efficacy of the drug. Some of the excipients may differ, changing the rate of absorption"

Not really making medicines the same after all.

I see.

See my other comments, the pharmacological properties are the same, the law states that generic drugs have to have 80-120% of the same action, with most drugs this is an insignificant shortfall or over action.

The drugs that are vital to be consistent are the branded products that doctors would specifically prescribe.

Exemplar, ibuprofen generally takes about 30 minutes to start to relieve pain efficiently, any generic ibuprofen must act within 80% of 30 minutes or quicker.

Edited by kyska