Restaurant cancellation policy

dodeer

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents- group booking for 12-20 people. Last minute cancellation. Menu was around £60 per head.

They want 100% cancellation fee.

Is this normal or a bit too high? Menu is nothing out of the ordinary and no special requests.

Thoughts?

All depends what was agreed at the time the booking was made. It seems pretty steep to me, but have a look what you signed up to.

All depends what was agreed at the time the booking was made. It seems pretty steep to me, but have a look what you signed up to.

I agree and I am not trying to wriggle out of it.

No terms were agreed and all booking was done verbally. On the website it states 25% is taken from a card used for reservation which none ever was.

Last minute as in tonight? If so they have probably ordered meat, veg etc in extra staff and possibly refused other bookings to be able to accommodate your party.

Same day cancellations with my work incurs a 100% fee to be paid. 48 hours no charge.

As said here, if its a booking for tonight and yiu have cancelled, you could possibly have now made tonight a non starter for the business. Although 100% is pretty harsh, if its their policy.. Maybe offer 50-60% and see if they accept. They will have bought in the menu for you etc. So they now have excess stock that they may end up throwing away so a loss to them.

Its a large booking and probably not so easy to refill with walk in trade depending on the restaurant/location etc.

I think if 1 or 2 of you dropped out you could argue a point, but the whole group, I'm not sure.

Also depends on how "last minute"

Edited by Cosd

Gents- group booking for 12-20 people. Last minute cancellation. Menu was around £60 per head.

Is this normal or a bit too high? Menu is nothing out of the ordinary and no special requests.

Thoughts?

If it's really short I've same day notice I think it's harsh BUT fair for reasons others have stated.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and someone did it to you, How would you feel ??

Thoughts?

I bet they remember your party if you ever book again, positively if you pay at least something and very negatively if you don't! :yes:

If it was me and it was a same day cancellation for up to 20 people I would be asking for 100%. 20 people at £60 is £1200 plus drinks so at a guess maybe £1500. They are not likely to get that back. I don't know how big the place is but that could be 50% of their turnover or more. They would of turned other guests away and possibly order extra food/staff in for it.

Just out of interest why did everyone cancell?

Half the group did, and the remaining didn't wish to eat without the others.

Before anyone says I am bad , I was just asking peoples opinions on what they'd do.

It's a big place with turnover of around 2500/ day on food.

8 hours before due arrival...

Sorry but I would be charging 100%

As said they will have bought extra stuff in just for your party,

I sort our Gun club Xmas meal, go in couple of months beforehand to book it, go back a week beforehand with a full list of what everyone wants,

Now I've been doing this for a few years and we now know each other so never get asked for any kind of deposit but if we all cancelled 8 hours beforehand then I would expect to be charged.

Just my opinion.

Another point to remember, Is it a town/village and how often do members of your group eat there, have you always had good service/food or is it the first time?

:shaun:

Did you pre-order the food? If not I wouldn't pay a penny unless you agreed a cancellation fee at time of booking, sorry but it's part and parcel of running a restaurant things come up and people cancel.

If you have pre-ordered the food then I think 100% is a bit steep but something should be paid towards it. Alternatively go yourself and pig out on 12 dinners!

If their policy is to take a 25% deposit to confirm a booking then the booking was never confirmed by taking said deposit, then I doubt that legally they have a leg to stand on. Lets just say, for arguments sake, that you had all turned up tonight and they had no record of the booking - pretty sure that they would be playing the " no deposit - no booking" card.

Did you pre-order the food? If not I wouldn't pay a penny unless you agreed a cancellation fee at time of booking, sorry but it's part and parcel of running a restaurant things come up and people cancel.

If you have pre-ordered the food then I think 100% is a bit steep but something should be paid towards it. Alternatively go yourself and pig out on 12 dinners!

I think you should pay, unless the place can do 100+ covers a night.

If you ever have a restaurant mr tom. I look forward to your thoughts when you get a similar hit.

What kind of restaurant is it?

If it's an all you can eat buffet that's for the same food out regardless of who's in then I wouldn't pay.

If they're a small time business and they've got food in pre-ordered etc and you've agreed to a deposit then it's a bit bad from your party. Whether you pay or not is up to you as an individual.

I imagine many of the 20 that dropped out won't want to hand you over £60 considering they didn't even go. Would you be willing to pay on their behalf? Would they reimburse you?

It all makes a difference.