Quick sale or not ?

Harnser

Mrs Harnser and I decided to sell our house and down size . Our agent put our house on the Internet at 11am yesterday ,and phoned us at 3pm the same day to tell us that he had two people that were interested . We saw one of the prospective buyers at 5pm and the other at 6pm . At 9 am this morning I had a call from the agent to say that one of the viewers had offered us the asking price . Sold subject to the usual . I had upped the asking price by 15 grand to give me wriggle room and got the full asking price . Does any body really know how much a house is really worth ? The estate agent said that it was a record for their agency to sell a property in less than 24 hours for the asking price .

Harnser

Congratulations but until the survey is done and mortgage company agree the with buyers price it's a long way from a done deal, we went £10k over asking price to buy ours and knocked £5k off after survey I think we over paid but others thought is was a reasonable price and since prices seem to have gone up and houses are moving quickly again........

Perhaps your buyer is from another area and thinks the place is A bargain or right for them, perhaps you under priced it, but if your happy and it's a smooth transition then well done!

Yeah well done, we had one for sale for a while nothing happened ended up renting it then 3 years on two more in same avenue went up for sale plus ours and all sold within two weeks.

If someone wants it and are happy to pay what you want then result.

If you were happy with the asking price, including the extra £15,000, you should count your blessings at such a quick sale.

I bet you can't find your own new house in such a time scale.

Already have one jd . It's being renovated and should be ready in about 6 weeks .

Harnser

I agreed to buy a house yesterday 3 days before it came onto the market. That must be even quicker surely.

Same here, agreed offer a couple of days before it should have gone on the market, we underbid by 10k and they were happy with that, sign went up with sold attached to bottom of it.

Harnser, a property is worth what some is willing to pay for it, no more no less.

S

How did you know the houses were for sale before they went on the market?

Knock the door and ask seen it happen to neighbour someone knocked his door to ask if the derelict house next door was for

Sale, he said no but mine is they agreed a price there and then on doorstep! I think he sold to cheap but he had seen the bungalow he wanted near his daughter and it was less than he was offered.

More likely has friend/contact at the agency tho who gave him a heads up......

3 years ago we went with a good reputable agent who got our house price wrong by £90k

We went with another agent and sold it for £70k more and to the first person who saw it.

In a rising market or a particular area, you just can't tell. It's whether someone really wants it and it's always better when two people really want it.

Oh, and I'd never trust an estate agent to get it right. They are under no legal obligation to - for that you'd need an RICS valuation and they cost.

Edited by Mungler

Estate agents will notify potential buyers listed if they are putting a house on the market, before its on their Web site or in the shop window so to speak.

To some it may seem that the sale was done in secrete. I think that years ago it was common practice for some Estate agents to tell a few of their buddy builders when some cheap property's where coming up.

Not sure if it was actually illegal or just foul practise, but nowadays it is very much frowned upon by any decent agents.

The thing is with a RICS report is that it's worth paying extra if your selling a bespoke property, not your average terrace which will have a pretty average value to its neighbours. If your selling your property you would I have thought want to get the best price. So really why would you accept the 1st valuation.

3 years ago we went with a good reputable agent who got our house price wrong by £90k

We went with another agent and sold it for £70k more and to the first person who saw it.

In a rising market or a particular area, you just can't tell. It's whether someone really wants it and it's always better when two people really want it.

Oh, and I'd never trust an estate agent to get it right. They are under no legal obligation to - for that you'd need an RICS valuation and they cost.

90k wrong?

That's not good.

How did you know the houses were for sale before they went on the market?

Some estate agents will approach potential buyers.

We were approached by an estate agent when a house that fitted what we wanted was going to be put on the market. We had out house valued by an agent, telling them what we wanted to move into.

It is often with the proviso that you must offer at least asking or it'll be advertised. We had an offer of asking accepted. But we ended up pulling out as the sale of our house fell through.

It makes sense, the seller gets a quick sale at asking, the agent gets commission and the buyer gets what they want.

Edited by BrowningB525

Knock the door and ask seen it happen to neighbour someone knocked his door to ask if the derelict house next door was for

Sale, he said no but mine is they agreed a price there and then on doorstep! I think he sold to cheap but he had seen the bungalow he wanted near his daughter and it was less than he was offered.

More likely has friend/contact at the agency tho who gave him a heads up......

I have had people knock on my door on more than one occasion, telling me a neighbour said I was moving out? I think they were trying it on for an exchange. Needless to say they were told to carry on walking. It had me puzzled for ages! It turned out the bungalow just up the street from me was mistaken for my house :lol: so the mystery was solved.

In scotland it sort of changed now and the estate agents value is meaningless, all depends on the home report which has to be done before u can advertise the house.

It should make it a better system (as each house onlyneeds 1 report instead of every prospective buyer getting 1 done) but for some reason they now don't value garages, gardens or off street parking, which i find very hard to understand.

Mibee different in the cities where houses go for above asking, but in my area its very unusual for a house to go above asking price

Like others have said yes u might kickurself it was too cheap, but u put a wee bit extra on it and u were obviously happy with the price, so i'd just enjpoy the fact its sold quickly with minimal hassle and the bother of constantly living in a 'show' house

In scotland it sort of changed now and the estate agents value is meaningless, all depends on the home report which has to be done before u can advertise the house.

It should make it a better system (as each house onlyneeds 1 report instead of every prospective buyer getting 1 done) but for some reason they now don't value garages, gardens or off street parking, which i find very hard to understand.

Mibee different in the cities where houses go for above asking, but in my area its very unusual for a house to go above asking price

Like others have said yes u might kickurself it was too cheap, but u put a wee bit extra on it and u were obviously happy with the price, so i'd just enjpoy the fact its sold quickly with minimal hassle and the bother of constantly living in a 'show' house

I am usually critical of SNP policies. This, however, is brilliant.

The rest of gb needs something similar