vehicle scrapage scheme

ditchman

They're still fleshing out the details, it's not been completely finalised yet. It's also likely to be targeted at the most polluting cars - but might be tied in to the type of car you get as replacement, which will of course be the tricky one for the 4x4 market. Those who genuinely need a 4x4 for their lifestyle might struggle to get the most out of the system, because you can't buy an eco city-box to haul around the countryside picking up dead stuff.

The last I heard was it was going to be up to £2k to scrap your car - with strings attached.

It has to be done fairly and in my view the only way is to only scrap a car when or if you HAVE to go and buy another. I mean there are somany who have this constant urge to have the next model. Just look at the dozens of very good low mileage cars for sale on forecourts.

It does not cause me a problem because all three of ours are petrol or lpg and the youngest is 2008 oldest 1989. I have always let some other idiot lose the big chunk of cash and purchased good low mileage second hand.

I thought I heard on the radio it would only apply to the most polluted of our cities, like London?

Are they going introduce a scrapage scheme for all those trains which pull into and out of London who knows how many times a day, which run on what......fairy farts?

I thought I heard on the radio it would only apply to the most polluted of our cities, like London?

Are they going introduce a scrapage scheme for all those trains which pull into and out of London who knows how many times a day, which run on what......fairy farts?

Electricity! We gave up steam in the 60's

Gives La Bala an excuse not to buy that new diff now.............. :lol: .......i will be alright as mine is post seris...and i need it for pest control

You nasty men, :lol::lol: . I will have you know i am in the process of registering the old gal as historic. :good:

I can't see why anyone in a purely financial sense would take advantage of a scrapage scheme. The last time it was done my mind was boggled and it still is.

Me for example:

2002 diesel Skoda Octavia actual value £400, avg mpg 52 (actual)

2017 petrol Skoda Octavia 1.0, value cheapest i found £17,195, avg mpg claimed 58(we all know real world figures don't match up)

So to scrap my car even if they gave me £10,000 for mine would actually cost me a minimum of £7,195. So I'll be keeping my death dealing car and using the money I save by not scrapping it to repair it and buy fuel.

So I can only imagine the people who would take advantage of this would be people on the whole who could already afford it, while at the same time reducing the numbers of fuel efficient cars on the road for those who can least afford it. I understand that diesel is the new most evil thing in the world but shipping hundreds of new cars around the globe on boats and trains is hardly environmentally friendly. That's not to mention extracting and refining the new raw materials to make the new cars in the first place.

I can't see why anyone in a purely financial sense would take advantage of a scrapage scheme. The last time it was done my mind was boggled and it still is.

Me for example:

2002 diesel Skoda Octavia actual value £400, avg mpg 52 (actual)

2017 petrol Skoda Octavia 1.0, value cheapest i found £17,195, avg mpg claimed 58(we all know real world figures don't match up)

So to scrap my car even if they gave me £10,000 for mine would actually cost me a minimum of £7,195. So I'll be keeping my death dealing car and using the money I save by not scrapping it to repair it and buy fuel.

So I can only imagine the people who would take advantage of this would be people on the whole who could already afford it, while at the same time reducing the numbers of fuel efficient cars on the road for those who can least afford it. I understand that diesel is the new most evil thing in the world but shipping hundreds of new cars around the globe on boats and trains is hardly environmentally friendly. That's not to mention extracting and refining the new raw materials to make the new cars in the first place.

someone ran my vehicle dets' thro a "enviroment programm " on der computa....and as it was that age ...it ended up more enviromentally frendly than a plastic electric car....as so much of the vehicle had been recycled to make it....it wasnt replaced every 4 years...and didnt distroy africa in finding the cadium for the batteries.. :hmm:

There was some mention of them giving people the option to have a new petrol engine retro fitted if the car is in good condition and rust free it seems daft to me to crush a perfectly good car/truck. I would go with that pay a bit extra to have LPG fitted and it would be as cheap if not cheaper than the diesel but put out much less bad stuff.

It'll be the same as last time, scrap your old banger and get a few grand off, lower pollution, look good for whoever is checking our pollution levels etc.etc.in ten years time most of.the diesels that are on the road now wont be worth more than a few grand anyway. Im gonna guess the government will hike up the fuel tax on derv to speed up things a little, then the haulage firms will all have a meltdown

There was some mention of them giving people the option to have a new petrol engine retro fitted if the car is in good condition and rust free it seems daft to me to crush a perfectly good car/truck. I would go with that pay a bit extra to have LPG fitted and it would be as cheap if not cheaper than the diesel but put out much less bad stuff.

Many years ago I worked on fork lift trucks fitted with Ford diesel engines converted to run on LPG. Surely a more economical solution than fitting a new engine.

That would be a nice idea but it would never work. It would cost enormous amounts to retro fit a brand new warranted engine into a clapped out (but usable) car. New engine complete with all ancillaries, new ecu or at least new program, link the new engine to g'box that was probably never designed to be mated with a petrol, new fuel tank and lines to prevent future warranty claims, new cooling system etc etc. All done by approved garage at £80 p/h. Far cheaper to just get people to scrap their cars and trick then into getting a car on finance on the proviso of saving the planet etc. When they would be far better off keeping their old diesel family bus not just financially but probably for the planet overall.

And as mentioned the cycle will begin again when the government starts to see a drop in tax revenue. All of a sudden petrol turbo engines will be the most evil thing since... well since diesel cars and a new scheme will begin to scrap your petrol car and by a battery car. And on and on.