Armed police at airport

Wiggum

We landed back at East Midlands airport after a week away and within 2 minutes saw three armed police officers, now I know that's nothing unusual considering the events in Manchester but what did strike me as odd was they were carrying SA80's ? Then saw another two in the baggage reclaim area carrying Heckler & Koch MP7 sub machine guns that looked brand new ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For every one of those I hope and trust there are twice as many in plain clothes because they are the ones able to really check out who is coming and going and acting looking suspicious, then draw the uniform crew in. It is somewhat worrying that there is very little infrastructure in airport arrival/departure areas which would stop a bullet. We had every solid steel centred pillar noted when the new BHX was built. Everything else 'lining' the building was unbelievably flimsy.

They might not think so but those guys are very well equipped compared to what was available in the 70s and even the 80s ...Fred Karnos springs to mind :-)

Edited by Walker570

The armed police thing is a bit of smoke and mirrors, to make a bit of a public show. If a bomber decides that he/is going to do something nasty then the first thing that they are going to experience is a big bang. The presence of armed police or troops will deter but as seen in other countries the problem manifests itself in other ways which are impossible to predict. Such as the incident of the lorry being driven into the crowd in Nice. Even in Israel with the massive security operation, they occasionally have problems. Something that did surprise me were the amount of women who were in a group of armed troops. Not that they aren't capable of pulling the trigger should they get the chance. Let's hope that the backroom intelligence keep on top of the terrorist in this country and we continue to distroy them elsewhere. A bit of a public display of a few armed ain't going to go Very far with fanatics on their way to blow themselves up. Perhaps I ought to get the pitchfork out and station myself up the village hall in case something​ nasty is being planned for the coffee morning.

The armed police thing is a bit of smoke and mirrors, to make a bit of a public show. If a bomber decides that he/is going to do something nasty then the first thing that they are going to experience is a big bang.

I totally agree 👍 merely a show of force, but an essential one.

Terror threat has been lowered so fingers crossed they got the latest bunch of spineless moorons.

The armed police thing is a bit of smoke and mirrors, to make a bit of a public show. If a bomber decides that he/is going to do something nasty then the first thing that they are going to experience is a big bang. The presence of armed police or troops will deter but as seen in other countries the problem manifests itself in other ways which are impossible to predict.

That's one reason you need all police armed so they can react immediately to a situation, plus you will not need the army due to lack of armed police, ironically one place you wont see the army on the streets is N/I.

Manchester but what did strike me as odd was they were carrying SA80's

The only reason i could see for that is they are short of the usual police firearms, or they are taking officers off other duties.

Officers within the Nuclear Division and those working with Nuclear Weapons or special nuclear material carry the 2007 variant of the L85A2 assault rifle, fitted with the Trijcon ACOG sight.
Edited by ordnance

Perhaps the women troops were there as a two finger salute to the beliefs of some of the purpetrators?

Perhaps they should be very pretty blondes with very skimpy jeans and tight tops. I read that the bomber had scrubbed out some kids stickers on the wall of the flat that he used because it was against the will of Allah. I think that one of the first things that theresa May should do if she is elected is to ban/dissolve/ make illegal schools that teach radical teaching. Or send them off to Mbongo land where they can live in mediaeval peace

Funnily enough I flew into Gatwick on Wednesday lunchtime and was expecting massive armed presence given the Manchester attack and subsequent raising of the threat level.

Twisted my way through the border control queue along with a thousand other people and eventually into baggage reclaim, 8 belts running, people everywhere. Then through to the arrivals hall, almost shoulder to shoulder, spilling out into the hall already filled with hundreds of people awaiting family, friends and colleagues.

Looked around and proceeded to one of about six exits to the drop off / pick up zone... didn't see a single policeman or security guard let alone SO19 or armed forces.

I was shocked.

Bit late, the outrage happened on Monday, is it supposed to cheer people up filling the country with armed police and the army, what with the vigil and everything else, I heard the police chief saying the are making 'immense progress' its all very pathetic, from a very pathetic government.

There was armed police in my home town, 3 of them, god knows what they are here for, maybe chucking out time.

Bit late, the outrage happened on Monday,

Yes it did, but that doesn't mean they haven't done good work since then. It also doesn't mean that numerous other planned attacks haven't been foiled before they could happen, but of course you never hear about those.

Unfortunately the police will always be criticised for the attempts they fail to stop, but that doesn't mean they aren't working hard in the background. A friend of mine works in the police "cyber-division" and although he can't discuss details I know he makes regular reports to the intelligence services. Unfortunately resources are limited and even if we doubled the size of the police and the intelligence services there would still be atrocities because the terrorists only have to be successful once.

A lad I worked with a couple of months ago was telling me he'd spotted armed police around Meadowhall shopping centre in the early hours of the morning. They were obviously drilling for a terrorist event. They are out there doing what they can but unfortunately it will never be enough. Unless of course you'd like us to live under an oppressive police state?

I'm available for dads army patrol and duty after work to man/woman the local strategic points if required. I've sharpened up the axe and stuck the pitchfork into some good quality dung. I have all sorts of rifles including a 223 so I can shoot the standard 5.56x45. so I await the call to protect the local village hall. Excepting if it's raining, windy, there's footy on TV or dark.

Bit late, the outrage happened on Monday, is it supposed to cheer people up filling the country with armed police and the army, what with the vigil and everything else, I heard the police chief saying the are making 'immense progress' its all very pathetic, from a very pathetic government.

There was armed police in my home town, 3 of them, god knows what they are here for, maybe chucking out time.

If it's so terrible here why don't you leave?

Despite some flaws I think we're genuinely in the greatest country on earth!

That was my first thought it looked as if they were being shown around, they may get abit of over penetration with an SA80

I would'nt say over penetration, SA80 is only 5.56mm, same as the standard police issue G36.

From my previous military training your told to fire 2 rounds at the centre of the mass to stop anyone

The over penetration comment was opposed to a 9mm hollow point round from a MP5 or such like coupled with the potential close range engagements inside a building not a couple of hundred yards away on an open battlefield but I'm certainly no expert in ballistics or centre fire rounds

The over penetration comment was opposed to a 9mm hollow point round from a MP5 or such like coupled with the potential close range engagements inside a building not a couple of hundred yards away on an open battlefield but I'm certainly no expert in ballistics or centre fire rounds

The SA80 is pretty effective in close quarters, rather be equipped with a 5.56mm round rather than a 9mm. Stop them a hell of a lot quicker.

We landed back at East Midlands airport after a week away and within 2 minutes saw three armed police officers, now I know that's nothing unusual considering the events in Manchester but what did strike me as odd was they were carrying SA80's ? Then saw another two in the baggage reclaim area carrying Heckler & Koch MP7 sub machine guns that looked brand new ?

Ministry of defence police... carry both dependant on where they are normally based

Ministry of defence police... carry both dependant on where they are normally based