Dunkirk...

WinchesterDave

Just got back from the cinema having seen 'Dunkirk' with my girlfriend and friends...

All I can simply say is wow; what a powerful, thought provoking film.

Yes, there were one or two minor inaccuracies (colonel wearing three pips on his shoulder) etc, but as a whole, really, really well done!!

I'd certainly watch it again.

The surround sound in the cinema with Stuka dive bombers is quite an experience - it must have been truly terryifying.

Some fantastic footage of Spitfires, too!

If you get the chance to see it, do so, it's superb.

Dave :good:

How did it compare to saving private Ryan? I know the opening scenes in that were meant to be so realistic that vets were crying??

I'd say it is as realistic... but it was a completely different action compared to what SPR was portraying if that makes sense?

I just thought it was fantastic... I had watery eyes at the end of it.

But that's just my opinion I'm sure there will be others who don't like it etc

Dave

When I left school at 15 worked in the local saw mill was put whith this man called George had a finger missing , I was a bit shy at first but when I got to know him asked how he lost his finger , told me me he was with the b e f in France in 39 in the royal field artillery Fort thier way to Dunkirk , he said have you seen the film Dunkirk yes I replied it was nothing like that it was hell he said he tried three times on diffrent boats they got put out of action He said I was lucky first time it wasent to deep he managed to get his helmet and gun off made him lighter got hold of some Debrea and swim to shore He got home went all the way throu the war with out beeing injured was working on a big cross cut saw next thing he saw was blood dripping then saw his finger was missing I said to him why dident you just say that ,well I hade to tell a story dident I all so I hade two uncles at Dunkirk as well one was ok the othe one was missing for a year thought he was dead but in an English hospital he blown up nothing left on him Evan his dog tacks was missing the story goes that French fishing boat picked him up with some others toke them to England still just a life a big hole in his head He had a big metal plate put in his skull Apparently it was an injured pal who identified him who was sent a year to the confellence home A year later my aunt hase the news paper who wrote the story a bout him in late 41

Nothing to do with the film, but just an opportunity to remind us all of the carp that some blokes went through in the name of freedom.

My ex father in law served in the Dorset Reg. and fought in the rearguard at Dunkirk where he was eventually captured by the Germans and spent the rest of the war behind the wire.

In 1950 he was recalled to the colours and drafted into the Gloucester Reg. where he once again had the misfortune to be captured by the enemy. This time the Chinese after the Last Stand of the Glorious Gloucesters on the Imjin River.

He spent a further two years as a guest of the Chinese.

My ex-wife's Uncle Bob was at Dunkirk, he witnessed Germans shooting British stragglers and prisoners and ran ten miles to get away. That won't be told in the film because the Germans are now our friends.

Later in the war he landed on the Normandy beaches and linked up with US forces, he saw Americans routinely shooting prisoners and wounded Germans. They couldn't understand why the British were so squeamish about it. He said the Germans could surrender if they had not fired on US troops but once they had they were shot, even if they came out hands up

That won't be told either because the Americans are our friends.

He said it wasn't the fighting or the bombing, it was the summary executions that haunted him for the rest of his life.

Edited by Vince Green