Brexit - Merged Threads

panoma1

Britain without a judge on the International Court of Justice for first time in its 71 year history 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/20/britain-without-judge-international-court-justice-first-time/

Britain has withdrawn its candidate for a seat on the International Court of Justice amid a row about the UK’s position in the world – leaving Britain without a judge on the court for the first time since 1946.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Granett said:

Britain without a judge on the International Court of Justice for first time in its 71 year history 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/20/britain-without-judge-international-court-justice-first-time/

Britain has withdrawn its candidate for a seat on the International Court of Justice amid a row about the UK’s position in the world – leaving Britain without a judge on the court for the first time since 1946.

Not really sure what this has to do with Brexit, besides 'some diplomatic sources' saying it 'might' be.
I can imagine what kind of sources too.

And seriously, who cares ?
Another toothless arm of the UN that no one listens to.

Well the EU are nothing if not predictable.
May and the cabinets tentative , publicised offer of 40 bn, has reportedly been laughed off by Brussels.
Whilst the UK position was to get them to accept that that would be the final figure paid, the EU reportedly said  that would do for a starter, but would like more for the main course!

Personally, I think if we went all in and offered them 100bn, they would say its not enough.
Im not sure what position they think theyre in, but I think a 'no deal' scenario is looking much more likely :good:

No automatic alt text available.

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

May and the cabinets tentative , publicised offer of 40 bn, has reportedly been laughed off by Brussels.
Whilst the UK position was to get them to accept that that would be the final figure paid, the EU reportedly said  that would do for a starter, but would like more for the main course!

Personally, I think if we went all in and offered them 100bn, they would say its not enough.
Im not sure what position they think theyre in, but I think a 'no deal' scenario is looking much more likely :good:

:lol: excellent analogy rewulf.

Fingers crossed for no deal.

OK, say that Appeaser Theresa has actually offered £40 billion? Can that be committed to or even paid without parliamentary approval  if and when the "deal" goes before parliament? Negotiations with the EU are one thing, but when it comes to a parliamentary vote on an emotive and unnecessary ransom like that I think sanity will hopefully prevail.

Or are we being shafted with the whole timetable of events so that parliament has to pass the "deal" because it will be too late to put all in place necessary for Hard Brexit?

Edited by TriBsa

12 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

OK, say that Appeaser Theresa has actually offered £40 billion? Can that be committed to or even paid without parliamentary approval  if and when the "deal" goes before parliament? Negotiations with the EU are one thing, but when it comes to a parliamentary vote on an emotive and unnecessary ransom like that I think sanity will hopefully prevail.

Or are we being shafted with the whole timetable of events so that parliament has to pass the "deal" because it will be too late to put all in place necessary for Hard Brexit?

No , it would have to go through parliament, but if it didnt get voted through what then ?
We get hard Brexit.
But the EU has to agree to it first, or theres no point putting it to a vote.
If Brussels want more (likely) its even less likely to get passed by parliament.

So, if Brussels know this (which they should) what is the likely endgame ?
Hard Brexit.
The idea is that we are seen to be unreasonable, so that they can justify whatever tariffs they will use.
Thus deterring anyone else thinking of leaving.

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Walk away and use the billions saved to sort ourselves out ! EU are blackmailers and nothing more,why anyone could consider staying in with such crooks bewilders me.....

Three points:

1. Both Gove and Johnson (Brexit supporters) seem to have Ok'ed this deal of £40Billion, therefore there must be some sort of legal(?) Economic (?) any other options(?) need for this sum of money. I've no idea what it is, especially in view of the tune that Boris whistled.  

2. Many of you here are very keen to get us out of the EU asap fair enough the sooner the better (under the present circumstances by the way I agree), it needs to move on, so why this opposition to paying the bill, and getting this cr*p over and done with and move on. There must be some reason that Davies is prepared to discuss a Brexit deal? If walking away without a deal, is the best option why hasn't he (a passionate supporter of Brexit) not done so? Doesn't make sense.  

3. Finally purely out of interest, in the run up to the Referendum, I don't recall the Leave or the Remain side mentioning any type of divorce bill, can anybody put me straight on this, did they?

Cheers

Aled

The reason it's been agreed is there are far more mps in Westminster who want to go against democracy and keep us in, The conservatives are on a sticky wicket and if they don't reach a compromise The whole party will fall apart, leaving the door open to the remaineacs to take over completely undoing brexit.

Things are not a happy place with the Germans and another vote is likely there which will seriously throw the cat amongst the pigeons. Davies has said today that a 'No Deal' scenario looks likely and the backroom boys are putting plans in place to be ready for such an event.  Also the world of finance is suggesting the Italians would be better with another currency. I really do not think we should wait further, get out now with no agreement. Let the EU ship sink.  The individual countries will very soon rally round and get themselves sorted.  

My opposition to paying the bill is it's taking our money away from other things like defence, nhs, education ect ect ect. There's no legal need to pay the bill fact and I'm sure when people voted leave they didn't vote to pay yet more money to the EU. Whether there' a moral obligation is open to argument both ways but it' clear it's not what' been voted for. The second problem to this is they're using our own money (which is has basicly been voted against) to keep us in the EU in everything but name, a double whamy of anti democracy that will cost us all billions.

For your final point, I don't remember a divorce bill beung mentioned either, but why would they have, its ludicrous, we are a member of a club with an annal payment, which we've fully paid up to date, with nothing in the small print of being a member about paying a leaving fee, so why the hell would we expect to pay one?

Edited by 12gauge82
Predictive text ahhh ?

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Things are not a happy place with the Germans and another vote is likely there which will seriously throw the cat amongst the pigeons. Davies has said today that a 'No Deal' scenario looks likely and the backroom boys are putting plans in place to be ready for such an event.  Also the world of finance is suggesting the Italians would be better with another currency. I really do not think we should wait further, get out now with no agreement. Let the EU ship sink.  The individual countries will very soon rally round and get themselves sorted.  

Amen to this, the EUs going down like a lead balloon.