Rats in a loft /trail cam ?

Dellbert

My mate has a rat (rats) and maybe a mouse or two in his loft and they can be heard scurrying around the house at night inside the cavity walls and under the upstairs floor .

So tried traps they take the bait and miss getting caught by the trap ,poison the pasta strip stuff has been taken but still got the rats ,grain poison taken but their still around , wont go near a fenn trap or a humane trap .

they take chocolate spread and peanut butter and some moist dog biscuit

its a semi detached 1960's house .

No obvious signs of entry

maybe a cheap trail cam to spot the comings and goings ?

Any ideas ?

Has he not caught anything? Never had a fail when setting the new plastic mouse traps and they do bigger ones for rats unless slugs are taking the bait which I doubt inside. Tie all the traps to something as rats will wander off with the mouse traps.

You can also get those sticky mat things you can put down if he knows where there coming and going.

Could be squirrels , I get them on my loft space

I had a squirrel in my attic once, i thought it was a rat but when I put a live trap up there I had a look the following day and there it was ! The biggest squirrel Id seen ! It was coming in at night and taking insulation off to its nest I presume

12 bore beteen the eyes ?

Well in all seriousness I would buy a small cheap low powered .177 spring airgun .probably a junior model that does around 6 /7 fpe .and bait an area out with chocolate spread and sit quiet in a corner .use open sights not a scope as very close ranges are hard to compensate for with scope mounted high above the bore line .

Use flat head pellets and hit the front end .

You won't have any nasty ricochets or blast holes in much other than the rat .

That would do .But they are tricky to shoot well .

And again the red dot will make your shots hit low at close ranges your likely to encounter the rats .

Opens would be better .but a hw 45 should make around 5 fpe which is more than enough energy .

Hey he might even enjoy it .

If he gets right into it a cheap nv set up on a rifle would be ideal .

I have shot thousands of rats with a crosman 2250 ratcatcher in .22 with a cheap nv set up on it .

It's was ok out to 15 yds max but for 90% of rats seen that was enough .

Most likely mice, given the time of year.

Bait, you have to keep putting it our until they stop taking it. Around 5 to 10 days, as some won't find it as quickly as others....

Traps, there's a bit of a knack setting them to be sensitive. Melt chocolate and paint it on to the trigger plate bait holder. That way they have to work harder to get it thus triggering stiffer less sensitive traps.

i know when we had mice in the loft i was convinced it was a rat by the racket it was making running around, trapped 3 and the noise went. we tend to get them every winter, which reminds me to get some traps set soon.

judging by the droppings its Rats

Delbert where abouts are you? Reason i ask is that if you want a few sticky boards i have a few i could post out or if ur near enough collect. Im in doncaster

Southend Essex do sticky boards work with rats ?

Any thoughts on a cheap trail cam type thing ?

i know when we had mice in the loft i was convinced it was a rat by the racket it was making running around, trapped 3 and the noise went. we tend to get them every winter, which reminds me to get some traps set soon.

This is pretty much what I had last year as well - I must also get the traps out as I think I have heard them for the first time this year ......

What's the recommended humane dispatch of rats/mice on a sticky trap?

LS

file:///C:/Users/User/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/9U5QMRUF/COP_Glue_Boards.pdf

Sorry that link dosent work properly, basically it says to place captured creature complete with board into a bag and deploy a swift blow to the head.

certainly not drowning.

Edited by aga man

The recommended dispatch on a sticky board

Is a blow to the head. Sticky boards in lofts are not ideal for rats. They get one or two legs on them and it's to easy to drag them about gathering loft lagging on the glue, then they can usually pull themselves off the pad.

The amount of times I've seen this in peoples lofts is to many to count.

The recommended dispatch on a sticky board

Is a blow to the head. Sticky boards in lofts are not ideal for rats. They get one or two legs on them and it's to easy to drag them about gathering loft lagging on the glue, then they can usually pull themselves off the pad.

The amount of times I've seen this in peoples lofts is to many to count.

Could you fasten the sticky board down, possibly screw it loosley to some loft woodwork.