Follow up deer gun.

Graham M

If its not desirable to damage the head ( which a pistol shot would do also ) then perhaps it could be shot where the first shot should have gone?

Im not against pistols; everyone on this forum knows how I feel about handgun ownership! I just dont see why if you already have a rifle, why that cant be used.

Not sure why folk are saying having a pistol is silly, I read a book from the library a while back on stalking and it said its common in Europe for stalkers to use a pistol for humane dispatch, also used by guys who track wounded dear saying a track could take two to three hours.

But the OP has not stated he has a dog never mind a trained tracking dog (and I mean a properly trained dog that will follow blood and hold a beast on bay), yes some use pistols but the vast majority carry very short barrelled rifles, some even use shotguns with slug/brekkene.

Also in Europe they are mainly shooting driven game so the chances of wounding are far higher than in UK

I think both UK tracking orgs are sponsored by blaser? and provide the registered teams with large calibre rifles with low mag scopes

If ur really concerned a SA 12ga would be a decent tool, choice of shot at short range bird shot so low ricochet danger, solid slugs will give u range out to almost 100m, but unless u have a decent trained dog it doesn't really matter.

If u follow best practice and wait the desired time the vast majority of deer will be dead where u find them, or to mobile for u ever to be likely to catch them without a dog

Who said having a pistol was "silly" ???

A pistol has its uses, I have one and find it invaluable, at times, but this is the UK, not Europe or the USA.

We have the Law to content with, and as much as I consider it daft in may respects we are where we are!

Quite this. I'd be really surprised if my force would agree to a handgun for humane destruction, maybe if you were a professional, but otherwise probably not.

I suppose it depends on how necessary it is deemed. But when even on this thread (amongst firearms owners) there's several post offering alternatives, I can see why Police would not fall over themselves to allow handguns for humane destruction.

Anyone want to buy a nice Winchester Legacy in .357 mag??? Spare lifter and a couple of spare ejectors as well. I've totally given up on the idea now as it was only an idea that I wanted to try.

Now..........let's hear from those amongst you who have never missed anything. Those odd shots where the bird you know that you hit carried on flying over the next field and dropped into the neighbouring farm. Or that rabbit that you nailed................. and then dragged itself down the burrow. Or that long-range fox that you saw drop................but was not there when you went to retrieve it.

Because all I seem to have heard is how no-one here ever misses anything . :lol:

Anyone want to buy a nice Winchester Legacy in .357 mag??? Spare lifter and a couple of spare ejectors as well. I've totally given up on the idea now as it was only an idea that I wanted to try.

Now..........let's hear from those amongst you who have never missed anything. Those odd shots where the bird you know that you hit carried on flying over the next field and dropped into the neighbouring farm. Or that rabbit that you nailed................. and then dragged itself down the burrow. Or that long-range fox that you saw drop................but was not there when you went to retrieve it.

Because all I seem to have heard is how no-one here ever misses anything . :lol:

Okay, let's accept that you wrote the above in a fit of pique, no one would contemplate carrying a pistol to dispatch a wounded bird or rabbit!

Yes we have all missed but we try not to and then sort the problem out quickly with the same weapon we initially used.

Okay, let's accept that you wrote the above in a fit of pique, no one would contemplate carrying a pistol to dispatch a wounded bird or rabbit!

Yes we have all missed but we try not to and then sort the problem out quickly with the same weapon we initially used.

This....

I don't see where anyone said they never miss anything, just offering sensible advice you don't seem to want to accept.

......and this.

A pistol has its uses, I have one and find it invaluable, at times, but this is the UK, not Europe or the USA.

We have the Law to content with, and as much as I consider it daft in may respects we are where we are!

I was being subtle, if folk are saying its like a coc k extension I'm saying silly, think ben the jockey has said it best, you can apply for a pistol then its up to the police.

A .410 sounds like a good idea easy enough to carry in a slip.

So....isn't anyone going to lambaste Deks for owning one? No?? Ah, it's just me then.

It really is strange that when posted about paypal I was accused of trying to scam them........ I post about a back-up gun and I'm immediately accused of not being able to shoot straight, or worse.

It's almost as though you don't want anyone to do anything that you can't do, or have access to. The number of people on these forums (fori???) who can shoot 6mm groups at 100 yds with a CZ and cheap .22rf hollow points is amazing.

Actually entered a postal competition a few years ago and was staggered to see the groups that were being posted off and claimed to have been shot with an old BRNO/CZ etc and Eley subs, but when I met those lads a few months later most of them couldn't group into 2 inches with that set-up. (must have been different ammo) :rolleyes:

This isn't positive debate or offering helpful criticism, it just shoving in your half-pennyworth for the sake of making yourselves look superior.

Ah well, just off to practise now to see if I can hit the side of the barn at 20 paces. :whistling:

Edited by Graham M

So....isn't anyone going to lambaste Deks for owning one? No?? Ah, it's just me then.

It really is strange that when posted about paypal I was accused of trying to scam them........ I post about a back-up gun and I'm immediately accused of not being able to shoot straight, or worse.

It's almost as though you don't want anyone to do anything that you can't do, or have access to. The number of people on these forums (fori???) who can shoot 6mm groups at 100 yds with a CZ and cheap .22rf hollow points is amazing.

Actually entered a postal competition a few years ago and was staggered to see the groups that were being posted off and claimed to have been shot with an old BRNO/CZ etc and Eley subs, but when I met those lads a few months later most of them couldn't group into 2 inches with that set-up. (must have been different ammo) :rolleyes:

This isn't positive debate or offering helpful criticism, it just shoving in your half-pennyworth for the sake of making yourselves look superior.

Ah well, just off to practise now to see if I can hit the side of the barn at 20 paces. :whistling:

Firstly, unless Im mistaken, Dekers is a professional pest controller. Secondly, and again unless Im mistaken, you propose to accompany your partner with a pistol while he does the shooting? If so why doesnt HE apply for the pistol? Why does a stalker need a partner armed with a pistol? What happens when you arent available to accompany him?

Like Ive said; I strongly believe in the ownership of handguns if all calibres, but I still cant underatand why you simply cant finish it off with another rifle shot?

Edited by Scully

Firstly, unless Im mistaken, Dekers is a professional pest controller. Secondly, and again unless Im mistaken, you propose to accompany your partner with a pistol while he does the shooting? If so why doesnt HE apply for the pistol? Why does a stalker need a partner armed with a pistol? What happens when you arent available to accompany him?

Like Ive said; I strongly believe in the ownership of handguns if all calibres, but I still cant underatand why you simply cant finish it off with another rifle shot?

Who says you can't finish it off with another rifle shot.That may be your choice.Have you never heard of freedom of choice.He may want a pistol that is his choice

Who says you can't finish it off with another rifle shot.That may be your choice.Have you never heard of freedom of choice.He may want a pistol that is his choice

Yes it may be his choice but by firearms law wanting/choosing 1 is not enough. He needs good reason

I know plenty of FT professional stalkers who take out hundreds of guests/clients a year and manage perfectly well without 1 there whole working life.

Even the practicalities of using 1, unless u have a deer dog the pistol is almost completely useless. (and a well trained deer tracking dog is far far more useful)

Also if u have enough knowledge experience to need 1 I would imagine most would have enough knowledge experience to know wot calibre would be suitable

My experience in Slovenia, when a deer/boar makes off after a shot and is known to be hit, then a dog is sent for and the handler will be carrying a handgun of some kind ...those I have seen have been revolvers, I have never asked what calibre, assumed they knew what they were doing and experience says they do. On a couple of very large boar I have shot there and the animal was still not dead, the guide has instructed me to put another shot from my rifle, between the shoulder blades with the animal is lying on it's side. This destroys the spinal column and the bullet traverses through to heart and lungs. I have only seen a handgun carried when a dog handler was called for. Often the guide will ask if he can use your rifle. My Slovenian friend was hunting on the eastern border of Slovenia and a large boar was hit but made off. The dog tracked that boar for five kilometres when it crossed into Hungary and they could not follow. A good dog is worth it's weight in gold.

I have no idea who said you cant finish it off with another rifle shot..... or even the same one.

Im all for freedom of choice and the rights of people to choose, and never once suggested he shouldnt apply for a pistol.

My experience in Slovenia, when a deer/boar makes off after a shot and is known to be hit, then a dog is sent for and the handler will be carrying a handgun of some kind ...those I have seen have been revolvers, I have never asked what calibre, assumed they knew what they were doing and experience says they do. On a couple of very large boar I have shot there and the animal was still not dead, the guide has instructed me to put another shot from my rifle, between the shoulder blades with the animal is lying on it's side. This destroys the spinal column and the bullet traverses through to heart and lungs. I have only seen a handgun carried when a dog handler was called for. Often the guide will ask if he can use your rifle. My Slovenian friend was hunting on the eastern border of Slovenia and a large boar was hit but made off. The dog tracked that boar for five kilometres when it crossed into Hungary and they could not follow. A good dog is worth it's weight in gold.

Where driven boar are concerned handguns are used for a variety of situations, from driving the pigs towards to guns to getting them out of thick cover without risking sending a dog in - and sometimes just shot in the air when very excited! None of this applies to deer of course.

I have occasionally thought a dog could have been handy stalking, I have never once thought damn, if only I had handgun...

A pistol has its uses, perhaps I have more use for one than many with both trapped foxes, etc., and Humane dispatch, etc..

I am rather surprised at the attitude of many here, there is no doubt a pistol has its uses as a follow up deer/Boar/fox/whatever gun!

I make no suggestion it is used daily, but it is another tool in the box and most definitely has its uses and preferences over any rifle/shotgun at times!

ATB!

Allways love the meat damage one . How much meat damage do you get when a deer is shot with a centre fire rifle ? A few ounces ,a few pounds ,or a few stone . Properly shot there is only a few ounces of meat lost . Absolutely no need for a pistol to dispatch wounded deer . Incidently ,I wouldn't want to get closer enough to a big red stag to have to use a pistol to finish it off . No sir , a 308 round to the base of the neck from about 50 yards .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

To me the whole pistol argument is a moot point unless u have a decent dog. And a decent (even a rubbish) deer dog will find more deer than even a good human tracker

How are u ever going to get close enough to an injured deer without 1?

and if u can get close enough its obviously not mobile so u could probably shoot it with anything u want, and move into a safe position for wot ever gun u have.

It's only if ur dog brings a deer to bay in thick cover I could see a pistol coming into play and even that will depend on the deer species/habitat, most deer dogs should be capable of bringing deer down on there own up to roe/fallow size

Edited by scotslad