New Pension age 68

clakk

Nice new proposal from the work and pension pillock ,put retirement upto 68 ,Reckons we cant afford not too :hmm: .Let,s see 3 M,P,s to every city WHY ,lets have 1 there,s 400 M,P,s less .

How many billions in expenses and 65k a year salary is that saving,and lets abolish the overseas aid joke another 12.5 billion saved.

Anyone think H,S,2 is worth it so M,P,s can get home for the weekend ,no ok there,s another 52 billion saved with me so far people ,no we dont need to work till we die .

So thats my simple view folks about 150 billion in savings before anything else so mr work n no pension boss we dont need to work forever o and get your pencil out and return the status quo to 60 .

And dont forget when Brexit is fully implemented we aren,t paying Junckers bar bill so there might be a quid or 2 knocking about from not paying for leeches atb

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice new proposal from the work and pension pillock ,put retirement upto 68 ,Reckons we cant afford not too :hmm: .Let,s see 3 M,P,s to every city WHY ,lets have 1 there,s 400 M,P,s less .

How many billions in expenses and 65k a year salary is that saving,and lets abolish the overseas aid joke another 12.5 billion saved.

Anyone think H,S,2 is worth it so M,P,s can get home for the weekend ,no ok there,s another 52 billion saved with me so far people ,no we dont need to work till we die .

So thats my simple view folks about 150 billion in savings before anything else so mr work n no pension boss we dont need to work forever o and get your pencil out and return the status quo to 60 .

And dont forget when Brexit is fully implemented we aren,t paying Junckers bar bill so there might be a quid or 2 knocking about from not paying for leeches atb

£65K for an MP is the loose change. Many MPs claim expenses, some over £200K a year in expenses. They are a particularly despicable breed, wanting pay freezes for the general public whilst taking inflation beating pay rises for themselves, wanting pension age rises for the general public and getting gold plated pensions early for themselves. This is not party political - as far as I know 'honourable members' of all parties are equally guilty of simply taking the public for a ride and feathering their own nests (and duck islands, 2nd homes etc as well).

hello, as i have stated before on this sort of post, WORDS FAIL ME, there was also recent news that 10 million will have only a basic pension as those younger generation can never save for the very high cost of living in 2017 and beyond

i'd also like to add, so ok they don't want to pay me my pension, then give me back all the N.I contributions and income tax and i'll look after myself

i agree Paddy, i worked out had i taken back 50 years of payments and invested it would be double the retirement pension, or at least £1000 per month and not £600 or so that most retired get

THIS IS NOT A DIG IT'S A FACT..

I am a manual worker working in a heavy lifting job 28yrs i have 3 brothers Accountant,Teacher,Wages/payroll, these are what i call tie jobs 2 have retired at 55 the other at 60.

I have told my father i will die working at 46 i expect to be 70+ and still in full time work.

So how do they get it so wrong tie workers should work the longest .....Common sense is it not.

I am a manual worker working in a heavy lifting job 28yrs i have 3 brothers Accountant,Teacher,Wages/payroll, these are what i call tie jobs 2 have retired at 55 the other at 60.

I have told my father i will die working at 46 i expect to be 70+ and still in full time work.

So how do they get it so wrong tie workers should work the longest .....Common sense is it not.

Perhaps they put more into their pension than you did? Dont forget they are not drawing the state pension at the age of 55 or 60.

Just worked for big companies Catapillar & Perkins engines who paid into their pensions, but missing the point if retirement age is 68 no pensions should be available until said time, then when the tie jobs are occupied until 68 others would have to go into manual work helping with the countries productivity,

Why should no pensions be available till 68? If people retire early it's generally because they have put money in so they can retire earlier, as said they won't get a state pension till 68 anyway so they are self funding until then, if they retire early it means more jobs available for youngsters

Did you make arrangements for a private pension if your work did not offer one?

Not entirely sure how you arrived at that £150bn, even if you binned 400 MP's with an average cost of £250,000 per year that would be £100m per year, or £0.1bn

Let's run with your £12.5bn per year of International development funding and the £52bn for HS2, but that is a one time cost so the average time people draw a state pension is currently around 16 years, so let divide the £52bn by 16 and that gives us £3.25bn per year. So we have around £16bn of savings per year (being generous), for 16 years then it reverts back to £12.5bn again.

We currently have 10.7m people of pensionable age, so if we divide the £16bn saving by the current number of pensioners it works out at around £1,500 per year, or £125/month extra should you wish to divide it that way. Equivalent to an extra 10 weeks of full state pension per year.

Or if you divide the £16bn by the current full state pension of approx £6k it would allow an extra 266,666 people per year to draw the state pension with no net change to the pension budget. Based on the projections for life expectancy our population of pensioners is set to grow by around 42,600 people per year, so it would take around 6 years before all the savings you have generated are fully consumed.

It is easy to look at decisions to extend the state pension age and dismiss that as ripping us all off, but the reality is that our life expectancy is increasing, as is the number of pensioners and it quite simply is not affordable.

Of course if you choose to redistribute spending from other budgets then it is possible, or increase the level of taxation, but what would you have us do without?

Edited by grrclark

Just worked for big companies Catapillar & Perkins engines who paid into their pensions, but missing the point if retirement age is 68 no pensions should be available until said time, then when the tie jobs are occupied until 68 others would have to go into manual work helping with the countries productivity,

I work in one of those 'tie jobs' thingies (even though I tend not to wear one most days), and pay around 20% of my salary into my pension as I've got no intention of working until I'm 68. Pay more in now, get more out later.

Did you make arrangements for a private pension if your work did not offer one?

yes but it will not give funds to retire at 55,

My opinion isn't a moan I like work just a observation, my body will give up long before I retire so possibly the governments ideal bloke, turn my toes up at 67yrs 11months

My opinion isn't a moan I like work just a observation, my body will give up long before I retire so possibly the governments ideal bloke, turn my toes up at 67yrs 11months

It would have done if you had contributed more. And you are moaning.

I work in one of those 'tie jobs' thingies (even though I tend not to wear one most days), and pay around 20% of my salary into my pension as I've got no intention of working until I'm 68. Pay more in now, get more out later.

not a possibility, as several in manual jobs we are not in line with wage rises, start of recession got 25% pay cut, and not had a penny back in 10 yrs, wife works for large company and gets the regular % rise.

What you describe is a very real problem and why those who work in an overtly manual occupation should plan for retirement much more diligently than those who drive a desk for a living.

simple take on it most don't start work full time until 18yrs old work for fifty years = 68 my generation started work at 15 yrs of age 50 years work =65 see what I'AM getting at :lol: But it is the guv policies you get the youth of today to go to uni or have them stay at school till they are young men and women and bingo as if by magic the unemployment figures low . :oops:

I managed to retire at 60, which had always been an 'aim'. It was in fact occasioned by a redundancy which paid me a reasonable redundancy payment

I don't collect any pensions until I am 65, and my state pension (assuming no changes until I'm 66). I have a free standing personal pemnsion that I can 'switch on' when needed, but the longer I wait, the more I can get, so I haven't activated that yet.

I'm currently living from income from savings - and I have saved all my working life, both in pension and PEP/ISA. In order to save, I have made sacrifices in other areas (e.g. only 1 week holiday away most years - and that usually with friends in the UK), mostly older cars, most of my furniture etc 2nd hand.

OK, I had a reasonable (but not outstanding) salary, I have inherited a property (which I live in). It is a great shame that many who wish to retire early cannot easily do so - but for most of us (unless we get a lottery win or have a very large salary, or happen to be an MP), it is only possible through 40 years of planned saving.

We are expected to retire at 60 ( assuming I stay in the same industry and especially so with our current Company), fortunately I will have a Final Salary to draw upon!

Without this I would I’m guessing have to find other employment until the State retirement age of what might be another 8 years, seems an awful long time

Being a teacher now 21 years in, ages 44, Im happy with my pension.

My pension works on 80ths. I have to work 40 years (minimum) to get half my average salary, with coppers in a lump sum. I signed up for a significant different deal..... but understand its different times.

How has your brother retired so early? They must have taken a cut in their pension.

What does intrigue me is how many of my friends dont have one. My house is my pension they cry. Not sure how that works.....

Edited by markm

Being a teacher now 21 years in, ages 44, Im happy with my pension.

My pension works on 80ths. I have to work 40 years (minimum) to get half my average salary, with coppers in a lump sum. I signed up for a significant different deal..... but understand its different times.

How has your brother retired so early? How old is he?

The teacher is the only one still at work, but think the maximum age for teaching is 60 is it not (full time position)

They can make the retirement age anything they like but a lot of men and women just could not physically do there jobs at that age. It just means they save paying out for a few years so people will be on sick or some other benefits for years.

Until they can make people fit and able it’s not going to work.

Not entirely sure how you arrived at that £150bn, even if you binned 400 MP's with an average cost of £250,000 per year that would be £100m per year, or £0.1bn

Let's run with your £12.5bn per year of International development funding and the £52bn for HS2, but that is a one time cost so the average time people draw a state pension is currently around 16 years, so let divide the £52bn by 16 and that gives us £3.25bn per year. So we have around £16bn of savings per year (being generous), for 16 years then it reverts back to £12.5bn again.

We currently have 10.7m people of pensionable age, so if we divide the £16bn saving by the current number of pensioners it works out at around £1,500 per year, or £125/month extra should you wish to divide it that way. Equivalent to an extra 10 weeks of full state pension per year.

Or if you divide the £16bn by the current full state pension of approx £6k it would allow an extra 266,666 people per year to draw the state pension with no net change to the pension budget. Based on the projections for life expectancy our population of pensioners is set to grow by around 42,600 people per year, so it would take around 6 years before all the savings you have generated are fully consumed.

It is easy to look at decisions to extend the state pension age and dismiss that as ripping us all off, but the reality is that our life expectancy is increasing, as is the number of pensioners and it quite simply is not affordable.

Of course if you choose to redistribute spending from other budgets then it is possible, or increase the level of taxation, but what would you have us do without?

MM let,s see how much does the Scottish,Welsh and Northern Ireland Assemblies cost a year when there,s a large group of buildings at the side of the Thames where they all meet and claim expenses .You didnt cover the money the E,u isnt going to get say on your 16 year rule ,there could be a few billion there perhaps .

Why have thousands of wind turbines paid for by the green electric tarrifs putting bills through the roof whilst being turned off in high winds.

Derby city council lay off at least 500 staff then pay 38 million for an head office refurbishment whilst the town is awash with office space for rent .The local goverment waste is legend .

We all know there is hundreds of pet projects eating millions of misdirected tax pounds and crazy defense projects that eat money then get cancelled ,a private firm run this badly would go bankrupt but H.M.G just blunders on and demands we the workforce put up with austerity and work till you die.Yes you should be able to put away for early retirement but if you earn 15/20 grand a year or less it isnt happening is it

MM let,s see how much does the Scottish,Welsh and Northern Ireland Assemblies cost a year when there,s a large group of buildings at the side of the Thames where they all meet and claim expenses .You didnt cover the money the E,u isnt going to get say on your 16 year rule ,there could be a few billion there perhaps .

Why have thousands of wind turbines paid for by the green electric tarrifs putting bills through the roof whilst being turned off in high winds.

Derby city council lay off at least 500 staff then pay 38 million for an head office refurbishment whilst the town is awash with office space for rent .The local goverment waste is legend .

We all know there is hundreds of pet projects eating millions of misdirected tax pounds and crazy defense projects that eat money then get cancelled ,a private firm run this badly would go bankrupt but H.M.G just blunders on and demands we the workforce put up with austerity and work till you die.Yes you should be able to put away for early retirement but if you earn 15/20 grand a year or less it isnt happening is it

I am not denying there is a load of waste in national and local government, but it is not at a scale that would make a significant difference in real terms.

The net contribution to the EU is somewhere around £8.5bn per year, put that into context with NHS expenditure across all of the UK at around £160bn per year. As has been stressed so many times the NHS is considered to be underfunded so the EU contribution would make around a 5% improvement there.

Your £38m for the office refurbishment in Derby would pay for about 2 hours of NHS service.

I'm not being contrary just for the sake of argument, what I am trying to get across is that public expenditure in this country is astonishingly large and it is really easy to look at a wasteful spend of £38m and think that is a huge amount of money and a shocking waste, and it is, but in context of our overall public expenditure it is a tiny amount.