Take care on your quad bikes folks

Jonty

I think this is a very good reminder to anyone who rides a quad not to get complacent. This was a farmer local to me earlier this week. Luckily for him, he didn't go all the way down the hill, he did it in view of some very highly trained rescue personnel and there was already an air ambulance en route to the incident that had the MR team in the area.

The footage was picked up on the rear facing camera on the landrover.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-41684973/quad-bike-topples-down-trow-gill-after-crash

He sustained some nasty injuries, but luckily due to the immediate attention he got, they aren't life threatening.

Never trusted myself on a quad... bikes / cars yes but if I ever had to quickly react to a situation I could only ever picture myself being catapulted off the thing.

Very fortunate to happen so close to a MR team, I just picture him doing that any other day or time and he may not have been discovered for a few hours?

An ex girlfriend's father had a bad quad incident some 20 years back.

At that time he was working in private forestry, as a keeper/forester. He'd been out on the hill one evening just before dark with the quad, delivering some extra wire & fixings for the fencing contractor to a new fence line. On his way back down he was scouting for beasts in likely spots, when he tipped the quad. It didn't tumble far but it pinned him down. Due to the place and his injuries he found he couldn't move the quad.

He wasn't missed at home until late as he stayed over at the block he was working, which was too far a daily commute from his home. Normally when working this location he'd go to the pub in the village few miles away, to phone home around 9-10pm. When he didn't his wife phoned his boss, who in turn phoned someone to take a look. No sign.

Found him next day after a couple of hour searching, still pinned broken leg and hypothermic, having spent 12 hours on the hill. Close call. Had his wife not phoned until the morning things would likely have turned out differently.

Edited by Uilleachan

Got stuck under mine for nearly an hour after it fell back of the van as I loaded it , with two fallow tied on the back I couldn't push it of my leg , couldn't untie the rope , couldn't reach the knives in the front box and the phone was in the van ..wasn't until I put my hands in my pocket to warm them up I felt the tiny opinel my mates grandson found and gave me because his mum didn't want him to have a knife ..sharp enough to cut the rope and let the deer fall off I got out with just a scratches and a huge bruise...

Learnt a couple of lessons ..get a proper set of ramps .

. .don't drive up into the van in two wheel drive ..

...don't drive up loaded

...keep a knife in my pocket at all times .

Couldn't actually get by without mine ..I'm just a tad more careful

Got stuck under mine for nearly an hour after it fell back of the van as I loaded it , with two fallow tied on the back I couldn't push it of my leg , couldn't untie the rope , couldn't reach the knives in the front box and the phone was in the van ..wasn't until I put my hands in my pocket to warm them up I felt the tiny opinel my mates grandson found and gave me because his mum didn't want him to have a knife ..sharp enough to cut the rope and let the deer fall off I got out with just a scratches and a huge bruise...

Learnt a couple of lessons ..get a proper set of ramps .

. .don't drive up into the van in two wheel drive ..

...don't drive up loaded

...keep a knife in my pocket at all times .

Couldn't actually get by without mine ..I'm just a tad more careful

Thought you were gonna tell us you cut through your leg with an Opinel then! 😃

The farmer who helps me when we slaughter animals at home was late coming to help cut up the lambs last year. Turned up 3 hours late absolutely crippled. Turns out the quad had had a slow puncture and hed been keeping it filled up with air meaning to fix it, went out to feed the cows in the afternoon without checking the tire, he remembered when he was on the Hill it was a bit squishy so took it steady going home, the last bit of the track he hit a stone with the flat tire in the dusk and turned a somersault and landed under the quad. Luckily for him it all happened facing downhill and he managed to push the quad off with his legs but hed bust a few ribs. Could have been a lot worse for him where he lives, theres little to no phone signal and its not unusual for him to be out feeding well into the night and then go out doing a bit of lamping so he wouldnt have been missed till morning probably.

Glad he will be ok! Looked quite nasty.

Biggest saving grace was that it was spotted. He was thrown off quite high up the slope in a difficult to spot location and there's a good chance he'd not of been noticed, with the injuries he had, the outcome would've been very different. It's never good to have an accident like that, but he had it under the very best circumstances.

The thing that bugs me is a quad is a bike with 4 wheels but you can ride legally on a car license ???

You can ride it on a bike license which proves it's a bike plus they use the enduro bikes normally as the chassis .

I've raced enduro on bikes and have done for around 10 years until injuries forced me to stop and I've seen the accidents with quads too. No diff makes it hard to turn .

Saying this tho I'd love a quad for shooting ;)

I never understand why quads don't have some sort of roll bar on them, I'm thinking along the lines of a forklift, your always told if the forklift tips hold on tight and keep all your limbs inside the cage, at least a roll bar should stop you getting pinned underneath?

Dragons den?

My very first day at work as a keeper I rolled the quad on top of myself and pinned me to the deck, luckily it was so step I could roll the quad off, boss wasn't overly happy

The problem with roll cages is they actually make the bike far more likely to roll, the extra weight high up.and then u'd have to wear a safety belt too

I know a grouse keeper who takes his roll cage of his argo (and he drives like a lunatic, was in it once when 1 off the wheels came off as he was tearing up the road, he never even noticed)

he also says it u do roll them they carry on rolling until the bottom of the hill and usually wrote off.

Seen a different argo rolled 1 day on grouse because of the fancy gun rack they added to the roll bar, the extra weight was all top heavy.

Love my quad, you just have to be sensible and app reciate their limitations.

Plus 1, really just a bit of common sense and knowing ur own limitations.

I should add to my previous post I crashed the quad twice on my 1st day (both caused by me reaching for the brake at very slow speeds and catching the throttle, I was just young) but In the 30 odd years since of using them every day sometimes 12 hrs a day never crashed or rolled 1 again

Most times its stupidity, either going to fast or trying to go throu somewhere u should never have been in the first place

Edited by scotslad

The thing that bugs me is a quad is a bike with 4 wheels but you can ride legally on a car license ???

You can ride it on a bike license which proves it's a bike plus they use the enduro bikes normally as the chassis .

I've raced enduro on bikes and have done for around 10 years until injuries forced me to stop and I've seen the accidents with quads too. No diff makes it hard to turn .

Saying this tho I'd love a quad for shooting ;)

But you can drive a reliant Robin on a bike license with the reverse gear blocked off :lol: