lynx escapes in Wales.

Scotty1980

16 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

A bucket load is a bit much for one lynx.. No need to get defensive. And oh if the government have had it checked then it must be true.. 

Why would the govt vet lie? If it had been an NSA paid vet, you'd have more grounds to question the finding.

Regardless of whether it's a lot, or not... the official finding is - after what is effectively a public inquiry (govt. paid post mortem) - the sheep were killed by Lynx/big cat.

I'm just getting a bit sick of all the internet experts on this subject.

17 minutes ago, tonker said:

Just passing on the news, and I've never known a fox kill more than one chicken. lol

I wasn't shooting the messenger lol my initial post was just to clarify where the NSA had gotten their image/info from.

There was a big cat running wild around here, back in 2005 (verified sighting by responding police officers, after it being phoned in). There were several such killed ewes found around the district over the course of a week. Throat ripped open with various claw marks on flanks where they had been pulled down. No ewes, which were found killed, had any signs of been eaten in any way.

22 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

Why would the govt vet lie? If it had been an NSA paid vet, you'd have more grounds to question the finding.

Regardless of whether it's a lot, or not... the official finding is - after what is effectively a public inquiry (govt. paid post mortem) - the sheep were killed by Lynx/big cat.

I'm just getting a bit sick of all the internet experts on this subject.

At what point did I say im an expert. But yes a captive animal that has never had to stalk or chase its prey ever has taken 7 already. Again im no expert. 

12 minutes ago, ShootingEgg said:

At what point did I say im an expert. But yes a captive animal that has never had to stalk or chase its prey ever has taken 7 already. Again im no expert. 

At what point did I say you were an expert?

But yes - domesticated pets (dogs) kill sheep every year, yet we are told this lynx couldn't possibly do this because it's never had to hunt for its food...

well I watch pretty much anything I can on big cats, how about this, escaped lynx see's something fluffy and chases or stalks it, as does your average tame house cat, roles it round plays with it oops I've gone and killed it, bored now it won't play anymore, walks away?

If it’s catching and killing stuff free range they might struggle to convince it to go into the cage trap. Perhaps if they paid someone who’s job it is to I dunno catch and control predators in the countryside and has a good knowledge of the lie of the land they’d have caught it already. I’d bet if there’s a decent keeper/stalker on the ground he’s know where to find it and be able to put a vet with a tranquilliser gun in a place to get a shot. 

Interesting that the loonies at the Lynx Trust UK who plan to release Lynx into the wild in the Kielder forest, have said the Lynx offer no threat to humans or sheep? Try telling Jenkins the farmer who has allegedly lost seven sheep to this escaped Lynx!

At the local wildlife centre several years ago, I was standing looking at Lynx in their enclosure...and it was looking at me! Suddenly it stood and ran directly at me, at speed and with purpose! it bounced off the the mesh fence of the cage/enclosure just two to three feet short of me!.....if that fence wasn't there, I can only speculate what would have happened......but I doubt it just wanted me to stroke it?......from this experience alone, I do not believe the Lynx poses no threat to humans!

Edited by panoma1
Typo

On 08/11/2017 at 07:22, Benthejockey said:

If it’s catching and killing stuff free range they might struggle to convince it to go into the cage trap. Perhaps if they paid someone who’s job it is to I dunno catch and control predators in the countryside and has a good knowledge of the lie of the land they’d have caught it already. I’d bet if there’s a decent keeper/stalker on the ground he’s know where to find it and be able to put a vet with a tranquilliser gun in a place to get a shot. 

+1 

They are massive areas up there but there are shots/keepers who know it like the back of their hand

We have quite a few Lynx in western Canada. They are very shy and rarely seen. Some are caught by trappers. I have not ever heard of one taking domestic animals. They would usually max out on hares and rabbits. Apparently very easily treed by hounds. The hound hunters are after cougars though so are usually ****** to find the little cat up a tree. Your lynx MAY take a sheep but doubtful. Cougars are increasing and spreading here.  They are now even occasionally found far from any major forested area. Even your gov't folk could tell if a coiugar was about.

7 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Apparently the reason given was it was "A danger to the public"

It had supposedly moved back towards a built up area, so the danger to public safety had gone from 'moderate' to 'severe'.

The Lynx Trust are still in full blown denial. According to them on Friday it would only take a sheep every 5 or so weeks... but in their proposals for release at Kielder they said a Lynx would only kill 0.4 of a sheep a year.