Steel no4 / full choke

Hi All,

I have been invited wildfowling tomorrow and have a semi auto with full choke, it is steel proofed but I have only ever used lead through it on the pigeons, the local shop has 36 gram steel no4 shot carts , would these be ok through full choke or do I need a more open choke. Tks in advance for replies.

scobydog

However many replies you get, you'll get precisely two groups of answers from the chaps on here.

The first is from the school which

• doesn't care about the CIP / proof house recommendations
  • considers chokes and guns to be disposable items
  • is happy to play the odds

who will tell you to shoot (what I'm assuming will be High Performance steel - because of the case length / pressure rather than the shot size) through a full choke and not worry about it.

The second is from the school which

• assumes that the CIP / proof house recommendations were written by people who know about the subject and had done some experiments to investigate it
  • doesn't like the idea of scoring the barrel of a gun which cost them a year's pocket money or more
  • isn't content to play the odds

who will tell you to follow the recommendation of "half choke, or less" in a 12 gauge and therefore find an alternative gun or an alternative cartridge.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

My question to you would be "why?"

If it's a fixed choke gun and your only one, you've no choice, but steel generally patterns so well that a half choke will get your pattern as far as it needs to go, before #4 pellets run out of oomph. Full adds very little, except making it harder to hit birds in range and more likely that anything close will get blown to bits.

If you have to use that gun, then I suggest that the difference between an ordinary 32g/#4/2¾" steel load and an "high performance" 36g/#4/3" steel load will be negligible. Since you've asked the question, I'm assuming you're unsure, which means you may worry about it in the field and that in turn might upset your shooting. Be that the case, I'd ask the shop if they have any Gamebore Super Steel or something else of 32g/#4/2¾" and use those. "Normal" steel will go through a full choke just fine (though it'll still probably pattern very tightly, which may be a handicap) and you won't need to worry about whether you're on the edge of what your gun is designed for.

Edited by neutron619

Well, if it was me, I wouldn't bother finding another choke - though of course, it might be a useful thing to have in stock if you think it'll get more use in future.

I assume because you're talking about using steel #4 that you aren't looking to shoot a lot of geese, so I'd try to find a 32g/#4 load that isn't "high performance" and use that. In all honesty, I don't think you'll notice a difference of 20 pellets either way. By taking that approach, you won't be asking yourself "is my gun going to survive this?" when you should be shooting the ducks you're going to take home for dinner. For what it's worth, when I shoot my auto, I actually go the other way and use that "duck" load on pigeons, rabbits, etc. using a half choke across the board because it works so well. It's always my fault if a bird comes down flapping at any rate.

For a handful of shots, your gun will probably suvive perfectly well shooting steel magnums through full - but there are, one assumes, reasons why the people in the know recommend not doing it. Just decide how much you think it's going to bother you in the moment of taking the shot and then choose the option that gives you the best chance of making a good shot and hitting the bird.

Neutron, have you used much steel? By your answers so far, I would suggest not.

1 hour ago, sportsbob said:

In simple terms NO, you are at a greatly increased risk of the gun being damaged it could even blow the barrels and injure you or someone else and YOU would be LIABLE.

Greatly increased risk? Please, don't make me laugh!

Did my non steel proofed 10 with super full choke in it blow up this morning, whilst firing 50 grams of 4.8mm steel through it?

Nope!

1 hour ago, motty said:

Greatly increased risk? Please, don't make me laugh!

Did my non steel proofed 10 with super full choke in it blow up this morning, whilst firing 50 grams of 4.8mm steel through it?

Nope!

Motty your wasting your time and efforts with Mr Study it Read it believe it Neutron619.

My old aya no 3 Magnum fixed choke has had plenty of Steel through it I'm still here as you and plenty of others are 

Oh want to guess Motty who he tries to read the riot act to !!?!!!  :hmm:

Edited by 6.5x55SE

2 hours ago, motty said:

Yes and no. A fair amount for someone who mostly shoots woodies but not as much as a regular wildfowler. As I said, steel is all that goes through my 12 gauge auto.

I'm not sure what about my answer would make you think I didn't use it. I use Gamebore's Super Steel 32g/#4 and nothing else in that gun. It kills pigeons very well at good ranges, and rabbits too although not quite as far out. I've accounted for a reasonable number of high-ish ducks too - mostly wigeon and mallard - but I only 'fowl once or twice a year on average, so not hundreds by any means.

You'll have noted, I'm sure, that I didn't express a strong opinion in either direction on the question - only pointed out the two schools of thought, both now illustrated by the replies above - and left it to the OP to make his own choice and focussed on the fact that he needed to be confident in whatever he chose. If I've argued one or other postion more strongly than I should have done in the past, then let's put my new approach down to greater pragmatism and experience since those occasions.

I'm afraid however, that I don't recall reading the riot act to anyone in the past and that I won't be baited into doing so now. I've got my opinions and if you prompt me to do so, I'll argue them - but I'm not going to be the one who starts the bun fight. If you want one of those, you've come to the wrong place. Either way no-one is ever going to persuade anyone else that they're right and that person is wrong about anything, because no-one has anyone else's experience and perspective on which to base it - so let's not waste the time, ok?

I wouldn't worry about the gun/choke issue at all. My only worry would be ending up with ducks that are full of steel, but again this depends on ranges. If you're shooting 40-50yard ducks exclusively I would probably shoot my full choke with a similar load, but if flighting on a pond I wouldn't want much more than 3/8 choke and 32g of 4/5 shot

8 hours ago, scobydog said:

Hi All,

I have been invited wildfowling tomorrow and have a semi auto with full choke, it is steel proofed but I have only ever used lead through it on the pigeons, the local shop has 36 gram steel no4 shot carts , would these be ok through full choke or do I need a more open choke. Tks in advance for replies.

scobydog

Will be fine through full choke have  a Franchi with full choke thousands of rounds through it nothing bigger than BB no problems whatsoever.

If it's steel proof as said CIP says shot size up to 4.1 mm (BB) is ok through any choke.

Over that size  then 1/2 choke  max.

From what I've read though,  in practice the pattern size with steel using half is the same as full usinf lead and using tighter than half can blow patterns.

The BASC website gives all thd info you need. 

Edited by Paul1440

As I said, I have never used steel so can't give a knowledgeable answer. Did read a chuck Hawks review a while back and he did say never more than half choke, but that did seem to be the benchmark from most corners. Maybe it would be prudent to keep withing safe boundaries by sticking to half choke just in case you had some balling of the shot due to rust, or are modern steel shells really rust proof??

5 hours ago, sishyplops said:

if you want peace of mind call into a gunsmith and buy a 1/2 choke, or borrow one if you have mates with same gun, what is the gun??

It is a W & S 810 semi auto, went out today very little flying about but  we managed to get a couple of Canada's, gun worked absolutely fine with the carts mentioned, looking forward to more days out on the foreshore.

Thanks for all your replies.

S

Edited by scobydog