You have to love old tech

Lord Geordie

Well, with Christmas lunch being prepped I was dreading the veg prep and space the veg takes up on the hob. Then remembered I have my grans old pans that I use in the caravan. Luckily for me I empty the van for winter storage so they were in the back of the kitchen cupboard!

i am now cooking with gas! Well electric actually but some of the older generation will get what I meant :lol:

IMG_1495.JPG

22 minutes ago, Jbob said:

My wife on other hand is a boiling fan and boils the living bejizers out of everything

Mine's the same, peels an inch off everything (so most gets thrown away) and then boils it to a mush.

Only way you can tell what it is is by the colour.

4 hours ago, Jbob said:

I'm another big fan of the steamer to. Stack em high and save space and food tastes better IMO. My wife on other hand is a boiling fan and boils the living bejizers out of everything. Guess there's several way to cook a spud lol

Delia Smith once quoted "water is the enemy of potatoes" she went on to say that it took away the taste and that they should be steamed to retain the qualities, taste being the utmost. I try and steam spuds whenever i can, around 20 mins, then mix in butter, a little milk and season. 

Remember me gran having similar pans, very practical.

atb

7diaw

5 hours ago, Jbob said:

I'm another big fan of the steamer to. Stack em high and save space and food tastes better IMO. My wife on other hand is a boiling fan and boils the living bejizers out of everything. Guess there's several way to cook a spud lol

The trick is to cook veg with VERY little water, and NO salt. You get the taste of the veg and not salt. Any water from carrots, peas, sweetcorn etc use for gravy. But not the water from spuds of brassica. 

15 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

My mother had a set of half ones, AgA brand I think. Very good on an Aga where plate space is limited.  Funny, we had a 'full size' Aga, but the 'summer' gas cooker always had to be pressed into service at Christmas.

The split pans are swan, the trio are Meyer 

Edited by Lord Geordie

24 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

The trick is to cook veg with VERY little water, and NO salt. You get the taste of the veg and not salt. Any water from carrots, peas, sweetcorn etc use for gravy. But not the water from spuds of brassica. 

The split pans are swan, the trio are Meyer 

Could have been Swan, but most stuff was Aga.  Quite possibly Swan supplied Aga.  I think (like many Aga things of that period), the handles eventually gave out - they were quite brittle a bit like Bakelite