Amazing Shot with .22lr

Evil Elvis

7 hours ago, walshie said:

This seems to be a recurring theme in your posts. I think it's healthy for people to question what they may think to be unethical. It would give the antis as you call them far more to go on if group back slaps were handed out for every questionable shot as it would imply we all do the same. 

That was my thoughts exactly .But I couldn't find the words to express it as well as you did. :good:

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/27/2018 at 23:11, Graham M said:

Oh I do like reading these sort of posts, because it is possible to shoot rabbits at 200yds with a scoped  match rifle such as an old BSA or Anschutz that has been set-up to shoot over that known distance. We had a warren in a bank that we knew was 185yds from our shooting hide, and with match ammo, that had been previously sighted in on a target on that bank, we could reliably drop rabbits with some consistency on a nice calm day.

The one I really liked though was the lad on guntrader, who dropped a fox at 700yds with his .22Hornet..........................that he had sighted in at 150yds:whistling:

Good to know :unhappy:

On 29/01/2018 at 10:45, Rewulf said:

Good to know :unhappy:

You're not a politician are you. It's just the way you underlined the word "some" in order to change the context of the post. OK we were taking body shots, which meant that the shooting was done for pest control and not for the pot, so some consistency meant we were hitting them on a very regular basis; much like you would on and regular hunt.......................or do you never miss anything.

And if you looked at the whistling emoticon at the end of my post you will see that no-one actually believed the lad had actually achieved the shot.

15 hours ago, Graham M said:

You're not a politician are you. It's just the way you underlined the word "some" in order to change the context of the post. OK we were taking body shots, which meant that the shooting was done for pest control and not for the pot, so some consistency meant we were hitting them on a very regular basis; much like you would on and regular hunt.......................or do you never miss anything.

And if you looked at the whistling emoticon at the end of my post you will see that no-one actually believed the lad had actually achieved the shot.

When you say 'some' consistency , that makes me think that you are missing or wounding some of the time.
Then you say its ok, its for pest control?
What difference does it make? You aim to kill the animal cleanly all the time dont you ?

If Im shooting live quarry, I aim to kill it in one shot, that means shooting at a range I can be confident I will hit where Im aiming.
If you are ok with what you are doing, crack on, but if youre trying to tell me you can consistently kill a rabbit at 185 yards  with one shot with a .22lr :hmm:

Did you actually read my post?

We were using match rifles (Old BSA and Anschutz) and match ammo that was grouping into less than 1 MOA at 100yds and @ the same at 200yds (@ 2 inches) it was a calm day, we had sighted in at a target on the bank, and yes we were consistently killing them. And as I said we weren't losing any more than anyone shooting at regular distances of 60-70 yds using subs.

And yes I do shoot match rifle as well as vermin control.

And no I wouldn't take the shot with a CZ and Eley subs.

And no I wouldn't encourage anyone without such a set-up to try it, but it isn't  difficult if you have the right equipment and the weather is right for it. So please think before judging others.

5a71df389f02c_Anschutzandscope.jpg.976a12be65aefedae4132eaa807a4a25.jpg

1 hour ago, Graham M said:

We were using match rifles (Old BSA and Anschutz) and match ammo that was grouping into less than 1 MOA at 100yds and @ the same at 200yds (@ 2 inches) it was a calm day, we had sighted in at a target on the bank, and yes we were consistently killing them. And as I said we weren't losing any more than anyone shooting at regular distances of 60-70 yds using subs.

And no I wouldn't encourage anyone without such a set-up to try it, but it isn't  difficult if you have the right equipment and the weather is right for it. So please think before judging others.

Not for me to judge. 

I just went on what you said, you said 'some' consistency, I took that to mean some shots missed, wounded?

How is that changing the context? 

But then you got rapidly defensive. 

If you had said to start with that you can consistently get a 2 inch group at 200 yards, with your setup, then job done. 

And well done, because that is extremely good for. 22lr whatever gun or ammunition. 

2 hours ago, Graham M said:

That is some set up well done

Was going to say the same as others, very well done. That is some shooting, still not for me esp with live targets but like u say I bet many can't group as well as u at 100m with subs, possibly I would think different if I had the gear and the skill and put the practice time in :good:

Ps There is absolutely no comparision between the above post and the original post for all distance is similar.

Instead of someone taking a pot shot at night of a single stick and estimating the range wrong by 30%, to someone who knows there rifle and ammo well and wot it is capable off, waiting till the weather conditions are spot on with a rifle already zeroed for that range, and I imagine/guess shooting of a very stable position

The scope is a fixed 20 X  Redfield 3200. The clarity at 200 yds is phenomenal. Put a bipod on the front and a bag under the butt and shoot Tenex, and that rifle will group into the size of your thumbnail at 100 yds; so less than 2 inches at 200 yds. Body shots on a calm day were actually quite predictable, although we had to watch for any wind picking up. Other that that it was little more than long-range target shooting with a rifle that was up to the mark.

Now if I'd said it was with my Sako Finnfire and .22 Winchesters I could have understood the scepticism ;)  

There are some great reply's on here... if he did it fair play to him, having never owned a 22lr I don't know the ballistics and drop at x distances so cant comment on that but what I will say is I've taken some long shots with an air rifle and acieved a clean kill, I used to often take shots with my hmr well over 200 yards and acieve clean kills only missing a couple of times. I wouldn't let a novice take shots like that however unless they could shoot well. The best was a tad over 250 with the hmr and a perfect headshot however due to inconsisencies in ammo and the fact over 200 they don't reliably expand I don't bother anymore, we've all shot things that people would say are too far to be shooting at and I for one know if you mention over 40 yards with an air rifle people get a bit nouty about it but the right conditions, the right ammo and a rough knowledge of range estimation then why not if you can pretty much guarantee a clean kill? 

11 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Just out of interest Graham - why were you shooting at such a distance? Why not move your hide closer and take head shots?

The warren is in a bank on the side of a field facing houses. There is no practical way to get near without spooking them, so rather than lie down for ages under a camo net, which at my age is a bit of a no-no these days, we thought we would go for the long range tactic. It was only the one time though as I don't like taking my match rifle into the field (can't anymore anyway since the firearms people started getting stroppy about where .22 rifles can be used; approved ranges and all that) but it proved very effective. And let's face it, it was something we wanted to try............and it worked.

Have the .17Hmr now of course which is a lot better in many ways but a lot more prone to the slightest breeze than the .22 was.

Is that an Izhmash?

Edited by Graham M

The warren is in a bank on the side of a field facing houses. There is no practical way to get near without spooking them, so rather than lie down for ages under a camo net, which at my age is a bit of a no-no these days, we thought we would go for the long range tactic. It was only the one time though as I don't like taking my match rifle into the field (can't anymore anyway since the firearms people started getting stroppy about where .22 rifles can be used; approved ranges and all that) but it proved very effective. And let's face it, it was something we wanted to try............and it worked.

Have the .17Hmr now of course which is a lot better in many ways but a lot more prone to the slightest breeze than the .22 was.

Is that an Izhmash?

:hmm: The .22lr is more commonly WORSE in the wind than HMR, compare a few!

https://www.federalpremium.com/products/rimfire.aspx

Edited by Dekers

Ok, I'm not trying to start this off again.

She was good, especially free standing, and apparently 300 yards, bear in mind she was also sighted, experienced and had several goes, but the grouping was good!

Again, nobody has said the .22lr isn't capable of these distances, the .308 is capable of 1000, but how often would you use it at those distances in the field?

4 hours ago, Dekers said:

Ok, I'm not trying to start this off again.

She was good, especially free standing, and apparently 300 yards, bear in mind she was also sighted, experienced and had several goes, but the grouping was good!

Again, nobody has said the .22lr isn't capable of these distances, the .308 is capable of 1000, but how often would you use it at those distances in the field?

She certainly did very well - anyone  who's into competitive 10m air rifle shooting knows it's no where near as easy as it looks.

I was a bit concerned that she thought the .22 might not have enough "Oomph" to break the egg at that distance though. Also, we have no idea how many misses she had before a hit, yes we saw several but 20 others may well have been edited out.