Boxes / slabs VS 1000

Is everyone buying their carts per 1000 these days? 

I recently used two boxes of carts at the clay ground, which were budget carts and the wad broke up like confetti when fired, absolute rubbish they were! 

At their price per box if I buy very good carts 1000 at a time I can shoot them for the same/ very similar price per box!! 

I picked up some white gold carts today as I wanted to give them a go, they work out at £6.20 a box VS around £6 a box down the clay ground... will see if my scores are any better. 

Is everyone buying in 1000’s these days?

Lloyd it all depends what you want, I can buy very well priced shells at the 1000 rate when out at a local ground for practice, the Grounds minimum price per slab (250) is £53 and the shop is £45, consequently the ground do not get my money.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE
Correction

Do they work out even cheaper again when buying 3000 etc? I know some people have a few like that but I thought that was just because they then got delivery 

53 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Lloyd it all depends what you want, I can buy very well priced shells at the 1000 rate when out at a local ground for practice, the Grounds minimum price per slab (250) is £53 and the shop is £45, consequently the ground do not get my money.

The clay ground has previously said you have to use their carts, if I can’t use the ones I’ve bought then I’ll just go elsewhere. 

I buy a slab of 410s at a time, with my reloads that does me for the season but I'm not shooting clays. One or two of us talked about this yesterday at this 'pretend day' I went on and we all agreed that certainly for game shooting the price difference is irrelevant when your season daily costs are taken into consideration and the extra cost of a quality shell is niether here nor there.   OK, I realise that not all of us has the readies to go out and buy the best available, but I cannot understand therefor why more clay shooters are not reloading their own. Back in the 70's our force clay team purchased a PW 375 reloading press and we loaded all of our shells for the team.  We only used factory for competitions.  Not beyond the realms to have a few friends pooling for a press and then loading their own. 

Paradoxically, I don't shoot too many so buy in bulk. I've knocked the game (walked up) on the head and don't do clays so that just leaves the pigeon and rooks and there's non too many of the former. Several smaller purchases over the same period that the bulk buy lasts runs the risk of getting - at least currently in my experience and it seems to be getting more common - varying loads - particularly shot size -  and performance from any one cartridge make. This way, consistency is maintained.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I buy a slab of 410s at a time, with my reloads that does me for the season but I'm not shooting clays. One or two of us talked about this yesterday at this 'pretend day' I went on and we all agreed that certainly for game shooting the price difference is irrelevant when your season daily costs are taken into consideration and the extra cost of a quality shell is niether here nor there.   OK, I realise that not all of us has the readies to go out and buy the best available, but I cannot understand therefor why more clay shooters are not reloading their own. Back in the 70's our force clay team purchased a PW 375 reloading press and we loaded all of our shells for the team.  We only used factory for competitions.  Not beyond the realms to have a few friends pooling for a press and then loading their own. 

The reason why more people don't reload for clays is because (unless you have access to cheap/free lead) it isn't really financially viable. Not only that, you can't use reloads in competition.

Hah!!  It IS cheaper loading 410s but I didn't think otherwise of course.  I know some clay grounds didn't like reloads even for practise/pleasure and having seen some efforts can see why.

I think if I was shooting as many clays as I did back in the 60s and 70s then I would lash out and buy as big a load as I could based on my yearly requirement or as many as I could afford in one go.   Need to bear in mind we all have different scales of purchasing power but possibility to form a purchasing syndicate.  There again the members would all have to agree on a specific cartridge ....not an easy task.

When on the mainland I used to buy 3000 a time at a minimum. Over here we are limited to 2000 so I tend to buy 1000-1500 at a time. Most people have a 1000 limit and i don't think I have seen anyone else buy more than 250 a time. There is no official price for over 250 in my local rfd but he often knocks a good chunk off. That said cartridges are cheaper on the mainland.