2 weeks off

Dougy

Just in case you all wondered were I have been for the last 2 weeks. 

I've been cruising round the med, 1st time cruising for me and the Mrs, and probably the last, some aspects of the experience was very good, the service food and entertainment but fighting your way round the doughnuts and wana be royalty was just not my scene. 

The bragging at the dinner table with the obligatory "How many cruises have you done" question was asked on every table. 

I got wise and replied by adding up each night we were at sea, by mid of week 2 it got to double figures. We where old hands at this cruising lark. Lol.

So to all you folk that missed me tuff I'm back. 

?

I love cruises , you wake up in a different place every day and get the whole day there to wonder around places you’d never visit normally like Morocco etc. Get back on the boat at tea time and fill your boots. 

Oh and I’ve been on 5 :) 

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Don't they have clay shooting of the stern these days ?  About the only thing which would get me on one of 'em.  I'd be 'stare crazy' before the first day was out.

I used a 5 shot pump when I was 15 and managed 25/30 which made me apply for my sgc . Never managed it since :/ 

Edited by team tractor

26 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Same goes for me the thought of being stuck on a ship with 100s of people, having to listen & talk to people during dinner sorry not for me, the only company I really enjoy is my dog’s ?

But does he enjoy yours? :whistling:

10 hours ago, Ollieollie said:

Never liked the thought of going on a cruise, with the exception of the Arctic circle and fjords cruise which I will do one day

The right cruise these days is an affordable way to get back that long lost tradition of customer service.
You actually feel like you are looked after and valued, the food is usually of very good restaurant quality, if Im honest, the best dinners Ive ever had ,have been on cruises.
Picking which line to use, and the destination is everything, and the better stuff will obviously cost more.

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

I love cruises , you wake up in a different place every day and get the whole day there to wonder around places you’d never visit normally like Morocco etc. Get back on the boat at tea time and fill your boots. 

Fill your belly to excess usually with me, I eat like a hobbit when Im on one.

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

Same goes for me the thought of being stuck on a ship with 100s of people, having to listen & talk to people during dinner sorry not for me, the only company I really enjoy is my dog’s ?

You dont have to sit with others at dinner, I dont.
Pick a cruise with plenty of restaurants and you could literally eat somewhere different every night.

1 hour ago, winnie&bezza said:

Cruises aren’t for me as all you hear about is them getting struck with vomiting bugs ? the thought of being stuck on a ship with 100s of sick passengers ?

Its not as common as they make out, and if you keep your own hygiene sorted, you should be fine.
Its never got me, and there are usually hand sanitiser stations throught the ship, just keep using them and you should be fine.
Noro normally breaks out when the ship has docked at a port that has an issue with it, a passenger will bring it on board and it spreads from there.
A general rule of thumb is less developed countries =more noro.

Hygiene standards are well above that of many other food outlets I've sèen, there are hand wash stations at the entrance and exit of all the eateries and you are reminded to use them if you forget. 

There will always be snobs in life, it's just one of those things, how you accept them or deal with them is up to you. For me now having been on one, (I understand there are more expensive cruises) I can't see what those that do think they are royalty get the idea from. It's not the 1900's.

We started off flying to Malta 10 of May 

11th at sea

12th Corsica

13th P.a. Spezia

14th Civitavecchia 

15th sea 

16th Messina

17th Malta 

18 sea

19th Piraeus 

20th Santorini 

21st heraklion

22nd Rhodes 

23rd sea

24 back to Malta and home. And back to rain. 

6 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Some great destinations there, did you not enjoy them?

From all those we would go back to Rhodes (not the busy end, the old part) Corsica, Messina and of course Malta even though they are spoiling it since joining the eu. 

13 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

So it's you that brought it back = It's been fine for two weeks:/:lol:

Annoying I know, put all the dirty washing in when we got back  expecting to get it dry on the line ?NO chance. Should have had it done on board. 

5 hours ago, team tractor said:

Oh and I’ve been on 5 :) 

I used a 5 shot pump when I was 15 and managed 25/30 which made me apply for my sgc . Never managed it since :/ 

We heard you like cruising....For Men.

Ive not missed ya dougy...

Have you been away? Didnt see you at Catton, we assumed you had got stuck in a rut somewhere.

14 hours ago, Ollieollie said:

Never liked the thought of going on a cruise, with the exception of the Arctic circle and fjords cruise which I will do one day

Only clvi cruse I have been on was up along the Norwegian coast from Bergen, stopping off at all the villages and towns along the way, crossing the Arctic circle and doing the crossing of the line ceremony twice, just so the other half could get it on camera. Then on around the North cape to the edge of Russia, with a dog sledging excursion and a visit to the ice hotel. The food in the restaurant was the best I have ever had, with at least 6 to 8 fish dishes every evening, there were of course many other meat dishes including reindeer. Cost 2 arms and 2 legs but well worth it as we saw the Northern lights, which was one of the reasons to go. The other was seeing the route of the Russian convoys during the 2nd WW, which my uncle had sailed many times to Archangel and survived torpedoing in the Northern waters as well. We went at the end of November so there was very little daylight and our visit to the North Cape monument was in total darkness and pretty stormy, which it usually is, just the severity changes!. 

Edited by Flyboy1950

My parents love going on cruises, they're both retired and go on several every year. They go with Thompson's and really rate the service and entertainment. In fact they only arrived back from one about a week ago. Not sure but it might have been the same area as you sailed.

You didn't happen to run into anyone who was in the ton+ for number of cruises did you?

28 minutes ago, Danger-Mouse said:

My parents love going on cruises, they're both retired and go on several every year. They go with Thompson's and really rate the service and entertainment. In fact they only arrived back from one about a week ago. Not sure but it might have been the same area as you sailed.

You didn't happen to run into anyone who was in the ton+ for number of cruises did you?

We actually had one or two couples look for us while waiting for the entertainment, 1couple were from up north so if they were on the same cruise there's a chance. 

The entertainment was brilliant, 2 violinist's Electra were superb, 4tunes again superb and a theatre group were just awesome.