Pop up hide

Farmboy91

20 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Jerermy Thorpe should have used one...

I'm guessing jerermy Thorpe was from before my time... 

3 minutes ago, peejay said:

used 1 for sitting waiting for a fox, but wouldnt recomend 1 for pigeon shooting...

Thanks, got some time on the spring drillings after rooks, just want something with a covered top. 

7 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Decathaton do a proper camo net brolly just for this purpose.

28 minutes ago, ditchman said:

there is one hide i have never used but might one day, and that is a green fishing brolly with camo draped over the top...then add a 3 legged fold up stool...bobs yer uncle..

Do you think this would be a good compromise for decoying pigeon and rook? 

Not had the opportunity to decoy before so I'm a total novice. 

On 30/05/2018 at 14:07, Scully said:

Nephew had a pop up hide as a youngster. It was ok but not very hard wearing. 

If you get camo’d up ( hands and face too ) and keep still until they’re in range, in the bottom of a hedge, it can be more effective than you think.

thats the cheapest form and as scully says...even better if you can snuck in a ditch with a bit of cover behind and infront of you...take a pair of scequters with you and cut some small branches off and stick them in the ground infront of you if you are in a ditch...you dont need to cover yourself completly...just break up your out -line...and only move slowly when the birds come in...then pick your shot...smooth and swift..............

On 30/05/2018 at 14:21, Graham M said:

I heard he got off Scott free ..................................

Only older  will understand that one

thats quite clever.....................actually acording to hugh grant it cost him £30..

Have one and use one frequently for deer and tree rats. Bushwear ...I think was £60 and it has paid off many times. Set up in max 3 minutes but getting it back in the satchel is fun as it has a mind of it's own.  I have used it in fairly breezy conditions but added extra tie downs to those provided. The metal 'stakes' are a bit inadequate but some good tent pegs solve that problem.  The bag can be carried like a ruck sack and is not heavy.  Not really any good for shotgun work on flying stuff but I find it superb for rifle.

Edited by Walker570

6 hours ago, Scully said:

Nephew had a pop up hide as a youngster. It was ok but not very hard wearing. 

If you get camo’d up ( hands and face too ) and keep still until they’re in range, in the bottom of a hedge, it can be more effective than you think.

Yeah I was looking to get some basics like a long sleeve camo top a mask and some thin gloves, there's a nice big anti social looking Bush in one corner so I might give getting in there a go. 

4 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Have one and use one frequently for deer and tree rats. Bushwear ...I think was £60 and it has paid off many times. Set up in max 3 minutes but getting it back in the satchel is fun as it has a mind of it's own.  I have used it in fairly breezy conditions but added extra tie downs to those provided. The metal 'stakes' are a bit inadequate but some good tent pegs solve that problem.  The bag can be carried like a ruck sack and is not heavy.  Not really any good for shotgun work on flying stuff but I find it superb for rifle.

The easy set up was what I was going for, and hopefully just being able to slide along to a different spot if things weren't working out. 

Thanks everyone for the replys. 

Yes, I have done this a number of times. In a move situation you don't have to re pack it completely because you can fold it small enough to carry a short distance and then when you let go it wil just pop back up ready to be aligned and pinned down.  I have had deer walk so close I could almost touch them. This muntie doe came to eat some apples I had put out. Shot on standard lens not telephoto and she brought her boyfriend along.

DSCF1886 (800x618).jpg

DSCF1875 (800x600).jpg

wp_ss_20171126_0001.png.dc68d388e6a5aedcb662d433f7764725.png

as for camo i bought this last year and it's pretty good considering how cheap it is, I can get my cap under it if I want, and it's not too hot. I have a head like a turnip and this fits great, one I ordered wouldn't fit my daughter but said it was for an adult.

8 hours ago, motty said:

I would always prefer nets and poles. You should be able to erect a decent hide in 3 minutes.

I never use a roof for shooting blacks.

Think I'll look into some poles and nets too, thanks. 

7 hours ago, Mice! said:

wp_ss_20171126_0001.png.dc68d388e6a5aedcb662d433f7764725.png

as for camo i bought this last year and it's pretty good considering how cheap it is, I can get my cap under it if I want, and it's not too hot. I have a head like a turnip and this fits great, one I ordered wouldn't fit my daughter but said it was for an adult.

Thanks mice!, I think for the sake of a fiver one of them is definitely worth a look. 

OR, just cam up and learn to sit still.  Scent and movement are the key  plus SSS  shape shine and shadow.  That face mask would work well. I have one I made myself out of some camo netting and a free bee baseball cap, the scruffier the better, and break up the shoulder line.  The other alternative is a ghillie suit which you can also make yourself.

I'm just an old frump. Like my creature comforts, somewhere to put my coffee mug, sandwich box and sweeties:/:good:

Edited by Walker570

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i used one years ago with a internal seat,quite heavy and bulky, okay if you have a lot of rabbits, i left mine up in field and moved on occasion, changed to 2 poles and 10/12 feet of camo net, another idea is the decathlon camo shooting brolly/ hide? £25

I'm going to have a look at that brolly now, I don't mind spending a bit on the right kit, it's just as its a new perm I want to make a good impression and try and bag a few sharpish lol 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

OR, just cam up and learn to sit still.  Scent and movement are the key  plus SSS  shape shine and shadow.  That face mask would work well. I have one I made myself out of some camo netting and a free bee baseball cap, the scruffier the better, and break up the shoulder line.  The other alternative is a ghillie suit which you can also make yourself.

I'm just an old frump. Like my creature comforts, somewhere to put my coffee mug, sandwich box and sweeties:/:good:

I'm going to go down the camo route anyway no matter what I get hide wise, but yeah I like the idea of being out of the wind with something to sit on haha. 

2 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

I'm going to have a look at that brolly now, I don't mind spending a bit on the right kit, it's just as its a new perm I want to make a good impression and try and bag a few sharpish lol 

I'm going to go down the camo route anyway no matter what I get hide wise, but yeah I like the idea of being out of the wind with something to sit on haha. 

Big Sarah comes to mind then!