Fireworks ban

team tractor

I wouldn't have expected a shooting dog to be bothered, we took our old gwp to a display years ago, people were amazed and he loved all the attention, but some fireworks these days are crazy loud, my kids will have hearing protection on tomorrow night at the display.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

My old vsizla would happily sit in the open back of my Landie whilst I zeroed rifles 25yrds away and he would fall asleep.  Even the distnat 'woof'  ...... no pun intended of a rocket going off in the next village and he would in the corner of the kitchen shaking.  I had to drive him around up on the Downs one weekend near Marlborough when a show was going on in the town so he couldn't hear them.  They do cause a huge amount of distress to dogs in particular and must effect wildlife in general. 

One does wonder if this is promoted by lobbyists for the firework display trade. Like the HS2 project, which to date, I have as yet not met one person who supports it.

Don't give the authorities any ideas! Or they will be trying to ban fireworks, by following the lead of NRW and NE who are using presumed "disturbance" as a reason to invoke the so called "precautionary principle" as an excuse to ban/curtail Wildfowling!

6 hours ago, Dougy said:

Illegal to buy at a certain age. Sort that out 1st.

Ilegal to use in the street.

Sort that out

And if used to deliberately try and hit someone then use the firearm law to sort out. 

Controls are already in place so use them in stead of pussyfooting around already existing laws. 

That would mean the police/cps doing something & as plod can't even turn up for break in's cant see them doing much. Also whoever thought it was a good idea to sell them before Hallowean. Sorry i think they should be banned apart from public events. 

These petitions pop up every year-  though at the rate things are going it wouldn't be surprising if it went through.

Building noise sometimes drives me up the wall but I still don't start petitions to ban powertools. It's just one of those things and when it comes to fireworks it's a pretty limited issue beyond November 5th and New Year. I think easiest the solution is to just deal with it...

The nanny state will eventually ban everything in my opinion. There are no private bonfires in my home town anymore; when I was a kid there were dozens. These were slowly replaced by council organised bonfires in designated places, and when my kids were small the only bonfire was organised and run by the local school on the Fair Hill, with the local fire brigade in control of all fireworks. Even that has gone now, so families just get together where they can, such as their own back gardens, but then neighbours complain, so even those are slowly going.

Tgere was even a call on the news tonight for a temporary ban on inflatables after some kids had been injured at a firework display while in inflatables if some kind.

A man has been stabbed to death in Bromley today, and another at Clapham Hill(?) junction earlier this week and another in Birmingham. Let’s ban knives too, or just ban idiots.

3 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Or just make the idiots accountable for their actions and compel them to comply with the law!........By those that are paid to identify those responsible and to enforce the law!

Perhaps you should consider becoming a 'Special Constable' and lead by example  ?

17 minutes ago, Westley said:

Perhaps you should consider becoming a 'Special Constable' and lead by example  ?

Well if the police don't protect the public and enforce the law, it isn't much of a leap to a time when vigilantes will! And It's no good the authorities using legislation that punishes everyone for the actions/crimes of the few! That risks eventual civil disobedience and law breaking by formerly law abiding citizens too?

As for becoming a "special constable" it may be 40 odd years too late! Lol! But hang on! Is that not an unpaid role? Without most of the powers of a regular police officer? If so why would I want to be an unpaid, volunteer, pretend copper?

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

Well if the police don't protect the public and enforce the law, it isn't much of a leap to a time when vigilantes will! And It's no good the authorities using legislation that punishes everyone for the actions/crimes of the few! That risks eventual civil disobedience and law breaking by formerly law abiding citizens too?

As for becoming a "special constable" it may be 40 odd years too late! Lol! But hang on! Is that not an unpaid role? Without most of the powers of a regular police officer? If so why would I want to be an unpaid, volunteer, pretend copper?

NO, you are thinking of the PCSO's.  Specials have most of the powers of a Police Officer when on duty, they just did not want to 'give up the day job'  !  You are doing the right thing then, stay in the relevant safety of your own home and er......criticise  ?

Nope! I'm not thinking of PCSO's they are paid......Special constables ain't........wanna argue with that statement too? Real coppers and PCSO's are paid to do a job, which judging from the reported ever increasing  lawlessness, the failure to attend reported crimes and the carp detection rates, they obviously ain't doin!...why should I or any other private citizens want to become Special Constables"? To bail em out by doing their job for them unpaid?............I don't think so!.........but you can if you want!

4 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Nope! I'm not thinking of PCSO's they are paid......Special constables ain't........wanna argue with that statement too? Real coppers and PCSO's are paid to do a job, which judging from the reported ever increasing  lawlessness, the failure to attend reported crimes and the carp detection rates, they obviously ain't doin!...why should I or any other private citizens want to become Special Constables"? To bail em out by doing their job for them unpaid?............I don't think so!.........but you can if you want!

And that just about sums today’s society.

Moans n groans - wishes and wants on various subjects, but without wish to provide the input/ changes required

You might be “forty years too late “ ( then again as the upper age limit for a special is quite high that would make you nearly 90 in order to avoid volunteering), but your never to old to contribute if you wish to do so.

1 hour ago, panoma1 said:

Special Constables in England and Wales are unpaid volunteers with all the powers of a regular constable throughout England and Wales.

PCSOs, paid employees with restricted powers.

1 minute ago, panoma1 said:

Yep I looked it up too! Lol! 

I knew it anyway, our younger daughter was a special until she became a regular, and our SIL was a PCSO until he too became a regular.

It used to irritate him that his then girlfriend had more powers than him!

11 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

And that just about sums today’s society.

Moans n groans - wishes and wants on various subjects, but without wish to provide the input/ changes required

You might be “forty years too late “ ( then again as the upper age limit for a special is quite high that would make you nearly 90 in order to avoid volunteering), but your never to old to contribute if you wish to do so.

Nothing will ever change if individuals do not speak out and highlight what they see as the current problems in society! But if your happy with everything as it is, just continue to say nothing........except of course when sitting at your keyboard criticising those that do! 👍

Well we had a great night tonight .

I lit 2 fires and had a massive box of fireworks and 10 of the loudest biggest rockets ever .the kids loved it (got involved ) the dog watched keenly ..

And my mate the police officer helped me send it all up in flames .

Awesome evening .

It will be a sad day when my kids say ."do you remember the fireworks shows we used to have in the garden dad " 

Why cant we do it any more .

😭

Yeah you can watch a  computer animation of it on your ipad son its almost the same. 

8 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Strange that the law requires you to hold an explosive licence to buy, transport, store and keep black powder....but you can purchase and store without any licence whatsoever, as many fireworks containing as much black powder as you wish to obtain!

Its a government petition so it’s official and already has 30,000 votes. 

I cannot help but think that there's a hidden agenda behind this, maybe to keep that part of society that easily get offended from stockpiling...

37 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Nothing will ever change if individuals do not speak out and highlight what they see as the current problems in society! But if your happy with everything as it is, just continue to say nothing........except of course when sitting at your keyboard criticising those that do! 👍

Now you see that’s the diff poss between you and I, am hoping to join as a Special in 2020 when our part time work contract kicks in.

It was one of my choices before I got into Aviation .....

6 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

My dog will probably be in the garden enjoying the show with my kids. 

Gun dogs shouldnt be afraid of loud noises .

Hmmm, my next door neighbour has two labs, sit and pick up absolutely fine on shoot days. When a booom of a rocket goes off they hate it. They are conditioned to work in the field with guns going off. Not to be in their home hearing booms and squeels that they have no idea where the noise is coming from. So think to say they shouldn't be afraid is quite a closed view.