Drones over Gatwick

defender

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I doubt that the perpetrators of this event would worry about licensing.  This has the hallmarks of someone well organised who has carefully planned the operation.  TO have enough batteries, keep appearing at sufficiently frequent intervals, avoid airport GPS restrrictions etc. 

Like those who use guns illegally can (apparently) obtain them easily enough, so it would be with drones.

John from UK's comments have led me to this what if thought :-

What if this is indeed being carried out by an organised group and was actually a demonstration of it's ability to cause absolute chaos prior to a demand. Give us lots of money or we'll do it again somewhere.  A bit of conspiracy thought but ??? 

Think about it, 3 or 4 vehicles with a drone each at different points around the perimeter.That would explain why its been so hard to pinpoint them. 

How come the airport authorities have been able to say open for business at 16:00 and then 19:00 hours, have they or the cops received a message.?

More people than the yanks can come up with a conspiracy. 

Forgot to say......a tad fanciful but?

Edited by Sha Bu Le
Omission

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I doubt that the perpetrators of this event would worry about licensing.  This has the hallmarks of someone well organised who has carefully planned the operation.  TO have enough batteries, keep appearing at sufficiently frequent intervals, avoid airport GPS restrrictions etc. 

Like those who use guns illegally can (apparently) obtain them easily enough, so it would be with drones.

Does anyone believe that the GPS restrictions are real🤔 I'm thinking it would be incredibly difficult to maintain this invisible barrier.

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Does anyone believe that the GPS restrictions are real🤔 I'm thinking it would be incredibly difficult to maintain this invisible barrier.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36717538

Not sure how widespread its use - or any opt out is.  Reports this morning suggested that it is widely used and you have to 'hack it' to opt out, but that may not be true.

Cannot believe that something so cheap should cause such a calamity - surely the potential is there to bring down an Aircraft thus the Army should be on site within 20 minutes - if we cannot cope with such a basic threat then the Russians must already be busy buying drones on Amazon. How long ago was it that someone landed one on HMS Queen Elizabeth? Surely lessons should have been learned. Shoot the things down - in reality what are the odds of a falling bullet hitting somebody? 30 armed personnel and the jobs done.

There is something more to this, without doubt. You have to assume the drones being used are not your average Argos peice of kit. Anything else would be equipped with GPS tracking in case the drone is lost in flight or can fly home in event of a disconnect from the controls. All airports in the UK are 'geo fenced' as are a lot of stadiums, meaning that must have been bypassed to get anywhere near. Under normal circumstances the drone would fly back to the operator. The fact there have been multiple sightings is a clear indication something sinister is going on. A shotgun would get rid of the threat no problem at all and no risk of stray rounds. If something was strapped to the drone to cause more damage than just a strike, that could stop it being shot down. Most commercial aircraft can hold up to multiple birdstrikes, a drone to the engine, while it's not good, wouldn't be enough to bring it down. There's something they ain't telling us, I'd bet my ticket on it lol

Edited by MarcMaxus

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36717538

Not sure how widespread its use - or any opt out is.  Reports this morning suggested that it is widely used and you have to 'hack it' to opt out, but that may not be true.

Didn't read all the link, but from the looks of it, register with a stolen credit and go where you please?

6 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Cannot believe that something so cheap should cause such a calamity - surely the potential is there to bring down an Aircraft thus the Army should be on site within 20 minutes - if we cannot cope with such a basic threat then the Russians must already be busy buying drones on Amazon. How long ago was it that someone landed one on HMS Queen Elizabeth? Surely lessons should have been learned. Shoot the things down - in reality what are the odds of a falling bullet hitting somebody? 30 armed personnel and the jobs done.

Looks like you have your wish…..https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2018/dec/20/gatwick-airport-drone-travel-chaos-disruption-live-updates

Thats if your drone is GPS enabled I would have thought, or the chip/antenna removed maybe.

Maybe its hacked or disabled ?
This morning they were saying its 'a professional drone operator , with an industrial drone, that has a 5 mile range'

Cant be that many of those around ?

36 minutes ago, MarcMaxus said:

There is something more to this, without doubt. You have to assume the drones being used are not your average Argos peice of kit. Anything else would be equipped with GPS tracking in case the drone is lost in flight or can fly home in event of a disconnect from the controls. All airports in the UK are 'geo fenced' as are a lot of stadiums, meaning that must have been bypassed to get anywhere near. Under normal circumstances the drone would fly back to the operator. The fact there have been multiple sightings is a clear indication something sinister is going on. A shotgun would get rid of the threat no problem at all and no risk of stray rounds. If something was strapped to the drone to cause more damage than just a strike, that could stop it being shot down. Most commercial aircraft can hold up to multiple birdstrikes, a drone to the engine, while it's not good, wouldn't be enough to bring it down. There's something they ain't telling us, I'd bet my ticket on it lol

Yep, and now the Army are involved, as you say more to this than we are being told.

39 minutes ago, MarcMaxus said:

Most commercial aircraft can hold up to multiple birdstrikes, a drone to the engine, while it's not good, wouldn't be enough to bring it down. There's something they ain't telling us, I'd bet my ticket on it lol

Marc

Are you a BALPA member? If so have you received the newsletters regarding drones.

Plenty of us would disagree with your statement having knowledge of engine failures due to bird strikes