Magnet fishing, it`s a thing apparently

henry d

I went for a walk today with the dog as the weather here in Central Scotland is pretty good considering. Got to the river and there are 3 guys, one has a line in his hand and at first I thought that they had taken the throw bag from the post next to them, but they were magnet fishing.

I`ve just had a quick read about it and it baffles me a bit, I can understand people wanting shopping trolleys/bikes/jagged metal out of waterways, but this is/was a prime salmon fishing river and often gets scoured by high river levels each year so as far as I can see the best they may do is a few rusty hooks or a spinner or two.

On a positive note I got to see a nice seatrout landed, no not by the magnet guys.

6 minutes ago, figgy said:

Have a watch on YouTube, some good artefacts have been found by magnet fishing near historic places and bridges.

Lots of videos to watch.

I was being flippant when I said they may just get rusty fishing gear as there was a Roman settlement nearby, but they didn`t know they were right next to where the farmer used to dump his rubbish into the river down the banking. If you go when the cover is down you can see the rusting bulk of an old tractor, or it may be just a few old bits of it. Ferro metal finds are one thing but if I was going to do that I would have other shiny metal stuff in mind.

Watching a guy do it a while back, he only pulled out junk, but some stuff was obviously old, hand made nails and bolts ect. 

Ive looked into it as something to do whilst walking the river, the magnets for a decent 300kg pull are about £40. 

On a side note, it must be good for the river pulling it out. I remember on s different note about cleaning a river, me and a mate snorkled a stretch in Cenarth, west wales, and pulled out close to 1000 1oz ball fishing weights. Wish we hadn't fired them all at each other in catapults, they really hurt 🤕

1 minute ago, strimmer_13 said:

Telling you I had brass ones that day the lampreys I saw. 2ft long. Makes me shiver thinking about it now 😬 Send walshie down he probs knows the stretch 

A lamprey is a savage looking creature, everyday aliens.

However not even the lamprey could compete with this horror.....

Not the sort of gold anybody would want to catch!!

B80054D6-58B1-4FDE-93FD-5BF679520228.jpeg

8 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Telling you I had brass ones that day the lampreys I saw. 2ft long. Makes me shiver thinking about it now 😬 Send walshie down he probs knows the stretch 

Yes I have seen large lampreys in the Wye years ago!

4 minutes ago, grrclark said:

A lamprey is a savage looking creature, everyday aliens.

However not even the lamprey could compete with this horror.....

Not the sort of gold anybody would want to catch!!

B80054D6-58B1-4FDE-93FD-5BF679520228.jpeg

What the ......... is that?

29 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Watching a guy do it a while back, he only pulled out junk, but some stuff was obviously old, hand made nails and bolts ect. 

Ive looked into it as something to do whilst walking the river, the magnets for a decent 300kg pull are about £40. 

On a side note, it must be good for the river pulling it out. I remember on s different note about cleaning a river, me and a mate snorkled a stretch in Cenarth, west wales, and pulled out close to 1000 1oz ball fishing weights. Wish we hadn't fired them all at each other in catapults, they really hurt 🤕

I'm surprised that the ducks had not eaten them all    ??    🙄

55 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

I watched a magnet fishing video tonight for pure entertainment. It beats the over produced Salvage Hunters for interest. I rather fancy having a go. Not sure what I'd do with anything I dragged out the river though. 

Don a pair of Adidas trackers and scrap it! 

hello

15 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

makes you wonder what they do with the big stuff they drag out, one lot dragged out 3 motorbike frames.

hello, they leave it on the river bank, old metal road signs/ old water pipes/ and a lot more scrap iron left by  Abingdon bridge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!