global warming again

Saltings

we burn less fossil fuels than ever and yet the drum is banged 100 years ago fossil fuels were used for everything inc industry and  temperatures were stable, as history shows and now a week of warm weather global warming  drum banged again , same week as school holidays begin  100 yrs ago no planes  or is it media   BS ,   I can remember paddy's in Eire on the beach at salt hill as all crops planted on the farm and that's over 40 years ago now lucky to have crops in by June or July as raining all the time   flooding as rivers no longer dredged  uk   ,  Eire thunder storms off the Atlantic  were spectacular roof slates rattling, single glazed windows  glass splitting ,outdoor farm animals killed,  the storms are not as frequent or a vicious as 50 yrs ago,  five or ten days of sunshine global warming drum again  , in the late 70 temperatures far out seeded todays as chemists were issuing salt tablet and everyone was closing their curtains in the day / newspaper on windows to keep cool does the media only remember what happened yesterday or from records began on computer data as written evidence goes way further back than any laptop data if they care to research properly,,  if in doubt ask your mom and dad back in the day how they coped  

Edited by Saltings

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

51 minutes ago, snow white said:

Think Saltings was on about coal.

He is right with what he is saying about global warming 

Exactly....and why are those figures rising ?  Mainly because we humans are polluting the earth with humans, not happy with doing it naturally we have now devised a number of ways of doing it artificially.  Less humans ..less pollution, simples.

Global warming, or at least climate change, IS a fact,

that it is man made is NOT a fact .

Humans are only producing about 10% of the CO2, the rest is produced naturally, mostly by rotting down vegetation.

There is money to be made by organisations like Greenpeace to keep the pressure on the fossil fuel debate, but, cutting down vast swathes of rainforest so we can have hardwood garden furniture is really closer to the real cause..

The Climategate scandal of a few years back really damaged the credibility of the campaigners case. Scientists were proved to be conspiring to fake the figures, because they were using those figures on lucrative lecture tours in America earning big bucks.

But their same figures, although discredited are still being quoted by other campaigners today.

When you say " we burn less fossil fuels than ever "  i assume you mean the UK. The UK is a very very small part of the World as a whole. The amount of fossil material being burnt in parts of the World such as Africa and South America is staggering. Not only there but Germany produces  and burns millions of tons of very high sulphur producing coal, but the USA produces even more than them. 

We are just a small nation who have had our time burning fossil fuels, the difference being that we we were producing a lot but the rest of the world was producing very little, now we have reduced our production of Co2 but a lot of the rest of the world have vastly increased theirs. 

governments didn't accept global warming at first but when they realised money could be made from the masses they all climbed onto the bandwagon what I want to know is what happened to the new ice age I was promised back in the sixties and seventies.

6 minutes ago, scutt said:

governments didn't accept global warming at first but when they realised money could be made from the masses they all climbed onto the bandwagon what I want to know is what happened to the new ice age I was promised back in the sixties and seventies.

I think we had it for a couple of weeks in January- hang on- wasn't that put down to global warming as well?

46 minutes ago, scutt said:

what I want to know is what happened to the new ice age I was promised back in the sixties and seventies.

1. The science got better. 2. Globalization happened and the 3rd world industrialized. Where I'm writing this (in northern Thailand), 40 years ago there wasn't a paved road in the nearby town and the local villagers would barricade their livestock behind bamboo stockades at night against predation from roaming tigers. Now the area is in town (even 5 years ago it wasn't), and there's a 4 lane highway running past our door which, three miles up the road, is being met with a brand new  6 lane motorway that will run clear across Laos all the way into China. I don't go into the town centre now if I can avoid it because of the crappy air quality and all the cars. Eighteen years ago when I first came here you could walk around the town centre and listen to the birds. And the air was fine. This pace of change might be more marked in S.E. Asia than on other continents but it's not exceptional. Wasteful consumption for its own sake, something that used to be confined to North America and northern Europe, is now an ever expanding global phenomenon. An air conditioner in every room and 3 cars in the driveway. It's the new 3rd world.

57 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

1. The science got better. 2. Globalization happened and the 3rd world industrialized. Where I'm writing this (in northern Thailand), 40 years ago there wasn't a paved road in the nearby town and the local villagers would barricade their livestock behind bamboo stockades at night against predation from roaming tigers. Now the area is in town (even 5 years ago it wasn't), and there's a 4 lane highway running past our door which, three miles up the road, is being met with a brand new  6 lane motorway that will run clear across Laos all the way into China. I don't go into the town centre now if I can avoid it because of the crappy air quality and all the cars. Eighteen years ago when I first came here you could walk around the town centre and listen to the birds. And the air was fine. This pace of change might be more marked in S.E. Asia than on other continents but it's not exceptional. Wasteful consumption for its own sake, something that used to be confined to North America and northern Europe, is now an ever expanding global phenomenon. An air conditioner in every room and 3 cars in the driveway. It's the new 3rd world.

hello Retsdon, are you having a break from work to spend with the family, i never got to see the Chiang mai area in Thailand, only been up as far as Korat, some of my friends came from villages you describe, many off the beaten track of any road way,  some from small shanty towns, i went back about 5 years ago and how things have changed since my early visits, new roads more sky high apartments buildings/ hotels, and more tourists, Chinese and Russian      

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

Globalization happened and the 3rd world industrialized. Where I'm writing this (in northern Thailand), 40 years ago there wasn't a paved road in the nearby town and the local villagers would barricade their livestock behind bamboo stockades at night against predation from roaming tigers. Now the area is in town (even 5 years ago it wasn't), and there's a 4 lane highway running past our door which, three miles up the road, is being met with a brand new  6 lane motorway that will run clear across Laos all the way into China. I don't go into the town centre now if I can avoid it because of the crappy air quality and all the cars. Eighteen years ago when I first came here you could walk around the town centre and listen to the birds. And the air was fine. This pace of change might be more marked in S.E. Asia than on other continents but it's not exceptional. Wasteful consumption for its own sake, something that used to be confined to North America and northern Europe, is now an ever expanding global phenomenon. An air conditioner in every room and 3 cars in the driveway. It's the new 3rd world.

🙂 Yep, they want what we have, and who are we to tell them they can't have it? 

People harp on about the rain forest disappearing. They're clearing the land for commercial gain, and again, who are we to tell them they can't? After all we did.

And with it all comes population growth. 🙂

2 hours ago, scutt said:

...what I want to know is what happened to the new ice age I was promised back in the sixties and seventies.

I presume you were told that we had the "little ice age" and the temperature had steadily increased through the 20th C. It was thought that it was cyclical but that, like the warming that is happening, is too simplistic a model and there are lots of possible reasons for the heating and cooling of the earth, deforestation/reforestation (population dynamics), ocean currents, volcanic activity/air travel...

The "Man Made" aspect of climate change is the greatest deception in all history; far bigger even than the statins hoax - and that's saying something!

Today "They" announce the present warming period is the most rapid for the last 2,000 years. How can they possibly know that? I'm pretty sure we didn't have many climate experts or even thermometers back in the 10th/11th centuries when it was so warm there were agricultural communities in Greenland.

If someone can prove scientifically that increasing the volume of CO2 from 0.03% to 0.04% can change the climate by increasing global temperatures I'll eat my wife's Aygo.

2 minutes ago, henry d said:

Go on, I'll bite, who are the mysterious "They"? Do they also have something to do with the statins hoax too?

Saw it on this morning's news. I didn't pay much attention to who they were, IIRC it was some advisory panel to the IPCC.

Getting well rewarded by the UN (which is another basket case BTW) for recycling the same old baloney beats working for a living doesn't it?

1 minute ago, Westward said:

Saw it on this morning's news. I didn't pay much attention to who they were, IIRC it was some advisory panel to the IPCC.

Getting well rewarded by the UN (which is another basket case BTW) for recycling the same old baloney beats working for a living doesn't it?

Hmmm, so why use "They"? There are too many conspiracy theorists, yes here on PW, ready to latch onto such mysterious use of words, plus they love someone adding in the UN, all we need is NASA and the Rothschilds and it's a full house flat earth conspiracy! 🤪

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

Not really. I know Ron and Angela very well, and despite the sales they made to a few local supermarkets like Booths, it wasn’t a roaring success, and is unfortunately no longer on the go. 

Neither are the Roman vineyards! All I could find was vineyards in the south of England, and we have those.

Pretty warm here in the shade in central Scotland today...

IMG_20190725_142009464~2.jpg

Just now, henry d said:

Neither are the Roman vineyards! All I could find was vineyards in the south of England, and we have those.

Pretty warm here in the shade in central Scotland today...

IMG_20190725_142009464~2.jpg

Not once it grew colder, no. I wonder what caused the climate to grow colder? 😉

Maybe Ron and Angela should give it another go....toasty warm here now. 😎

9 minutes ago, VicW said:

In 1976 when we had a major heatwave that lasted for nearly three weeks climate change hadn't been discovered/invented.

Vic.

And even that year it still rained most of the time in Glasgow. The legendary summer of '76 arrived up there about the 3rd week of August and lasted for a fortnight.😉