Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

1 minute ago, Scully said:

You must be great craic on a night out! 😳

You didn't like the car in the hedge story? That's a pity, because I promise I was at least trying ...

Let's face it though, this is a thread about what will shortly become a national emergency that's very likely to leave an awful lot of people bereaved. If there were no other choice but to take it, perhaps better to laugh and make the best of it than whine and grizzle. But when people are going to die as a result of a policy decision that will almost inevitably be reversed by foreseeable circumstances. maybe I'm missing something but I can't find much levity there.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Retsdon I don't understand why you selectively quote elements of a post, rather than considering them in the full context. I agree with much of your last two posts and it's a shame that your post is written to suggest that it is an opposing view, when that is not the case. 

19 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

You didn't like the car in the hedge story? That's a pity, because I promise I was at least trying ...

Let's face it though, this is a thread about what will shortly become a national emergency that's very likely to leave an awful lot of people bereaved. If there were no other choice but to take it, perhaps better to laugh and make the best of it than whine and grizzle. But when people are going to die as a result of a policy decision that will almost inevitably be reversed by foreseeable circumstances. maybe I'm missing something but I can't find much levity there.

I believe you....you’re very trying! 😀
I can obviously see how serious it is, I just tend to try to be positive regarding most things and get on with my life. We are at the whim of overriding government policy etc etc; there is no alternative but to just get on with our lives, despite how incompetent those who rule over us would seem to be. There is no point getting despondent and negative regarding things over which we have no control. There is no other choice but to take it; we just have to carry on carrying on. What else would you have us do, or suggest we do? 

5 minutes ago, Scully said:

There is no other choice but to take it; we just have to carry on carrying on. What else would you have us do, or suggest we do? 

When did people in Britain become so passive? 

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

How narrow minded

It was a joke! Look who asked me the question.

10 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I think you need to think of the big picture, doff your tin foil base ball cap , and think outside the box...

Who is the virus most likely to kill ?

Are you suggesting that the govs inaction is a kind of euthanasia for the old and costly ?

I don’t know why they don’t just let this virus run its course, they are not going to stop it and according to the experts after a small drop in cases during the summer it will come back just as strong come autumn/winter 2020/2021.

16 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Brexiters

Well there’s not much hope for me then, Brexiter and 69. :bye2:

A touch of context,  so far this season there has been 34million case of flu in the US, 350,000 hospitalised from it and 20000 dead. 

I've previously posted the uk's average of 17000 annual  deaths from the flu and 2014/15s whopping 28k dead. 

So far Corona has 110000 infected and 3000 dead worldwide. Only 6 in the UK and 600 outside of China. I think more people have died of car crashes in the last week than this virus from the beginning. 

Regardless of whether China is telling porkies over the infected and death rate we can reasonably assume everyone else is telling it as it is. 

I'm far more concerned about the flu. Thats seasonal flu btw, not some pandemic swine flu or bird flu (150k to 500k estimated dead worldwide and far from the end of the world).  I don't get the scaremongering and impending doom, it's not helpful and is somewhat defeatist at the least. 

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

I don’t know why they don’t just let this virus run its course

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

after a small drop in cases during the summer it will come back just as strong come autumn/winter 2020/2021.

It will almost certainly do both of the above, but the longer you delay the peak - the more chance a number of people - particularly those at high risk may be able to benefit from a vaccine - which according to some estimates may be available as early as autumn/winter 2020/21.

23 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It will almost certainly do both of the above, but the longer you delay the peak - the more chance a number of people - particularly those at high risk may be able to benefit from a vaccine - which according to some estimates may be available as early as autumn/winter 2020/21.

I guess the question is, how long can the world shut down for?

According to reports coming out of the U.S. a safe vaccine is unlikely for at least 18 months.

Edited by old'un

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

According to reports coming out of the U.S. a safe vaccine is unlikely for at least 18 months.

There are so many different estimates; one report said that China was already testing a vaccine on human subjects.  This may be a case where you accept a degree of risk and adopt a shorter emergency testing regime.  I guess it depends on the risks of the virus versus the vaccine - and a judgement made on that basis.  My feeling is that the scientists who develop any vaccine may have a feeling (based on experience and how closely it is related to existing products) of whether they see large or small risks from a new vaccine.  There are an awful lot of very clever minds that are going to be working on this one.

15 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

There are so many different estimates; one report said that China was already testing a vaccine on human subjects.  This may be a case where you accept a degree of risk and adopt a shorter emergency testing regime.  I guess it depends on the risks of the virus versus the vaccine - and a judgement made on that basis.  My feeling is that the scientists who develop any vaccine may have a feeling (based on experience and how closely it is related to existing products) of whether they see large or small risks from a new vaccine.  There are an awful lot of very clever minds that are going to be working on this one.

Theres also an awful lot of press releases from drugs companies, one of the front runners Moderna Pharmaceuticals did such a press release In late February, its shares prices soared 30% when the company announced it had delivered doses of the first coronavirus vaccine candidate to the National Institutes of Health, pushing its stock market valuation to around $11 billion.

:hmm:

17 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Vote labour , so he can get his family in free

Perhaps we should leave my family out of this? Anyway, only one of the four of us isn't British. My kids can trace an unbroken Scottish lineage back to 1781. Which, if we're going to start waving flags,  is a lot more than can be said for the prime minister and half his  dodgy cabinet of chancers and spivs.

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

Possibly; we’ll never know until he replies. If he does. 

OK, if you're happy that the government's response is to tell you to wash your hands, fine. If it were me, I'd be writing to my MP;. I'd be writing to the newspaper, I'd actually be arguing in public forums that the government's response is inadequate, etc, etc. I'd be trying to make my voice heard. If enough people did that....

But you do what you like. I'll predict though, that in in the end the public will be making a noise. Only it'll be too late to do much good.

Edited by Retsdon

8 hours ago, Teal said:

So would everyone. But at what cost would you be prepared to pay.

Indeed, that is the absolute hard question in all of this.

If you stop the country people will die as consequence of that.

Even if we took an extreme approach, being an island of purity amongst a sea of poop is no good.  If the poop is washing up on every shore then there is only one inevitability and it’s a smelly one.

So many comments on this thread based on nothing but emotion, understandable, but no way to run a country.

12 hours ago, Retsdon said:

OK, if you're happy that the government's response is to tell you to wash your hands, fine. If it were me, I'd be writing to my MP;. I'd be writing to the newspaper, I'd actually be arguing in public forums that the government's response is inadequate, etc, etc. I'd be trying to make my voice heard. If enough people did that....

But you do what you like. I'll predict though, that in in the end the public will be making a noise. Only it'll be too late to do much good.

Oh yeah, hadn't thought of that;  a sternly written letter, that'll cut it! 😃

I will do what I like, thank you. I'm off up to Kelso for a three day art event, hopefully the people of Scotland have a bit more about them and they'll actually turn up. 👍

Just get on with your life , and perhaps cheer up a tad; you seem to take everything far too seriously.