Coronavirus (Covid-19) Is this it?

Doc Holliday

3 hours ago, stuartyboy said:

Looking on the positives, the price of diesel has fallen recently with all that's going on. Every cloud and all that

That was exactly my thoughts today, when on my way out of town (taking the wife to the Chinese and Indian supermarkets....she's worried about a rice shortage!). Anyway, the price of diesel here in sunny Hartlepool is now 116p/litre.  As I'm out tomorrow shooting (50 mile round trip) I thought I'd get 20 quids worth at Morrisons.  To my utter dismay, ALL the diesel pumps were locked off, empty tanks, I presume.  My wife suggested that I could call at the petrol station, approx 7 miles away, which is one of the branded names (BP, I think) so as I drive in I notice the price of their diesel....127p / litre!   Greedy pigs!  So after only getting a tenners worth (I'm also greedy!) I decided that 'karma' didn't like the way I was thinking....and it ended up costing me 86p more than it would have!  Oh...and remember to wash your hands...and anything else that's dirty!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the figures referring to deaths from the virus do not take into account the associated deaths.

All very well self isolating but not much chance in getting emergency health care when the hospitals and medical system is in meltdown, be it RTA, child choking etc. etc. 

A lot of medical staff will get the virus too so that's them out of the game for a bit.

Ridiculing toilet roll hoarding is a bit odd when we appear to be in deep.........

3 hours ago, bluesj said:

As I see it people that keep on about in being no worse that the flu haven't grasped the numbers, yes the flu kills a lot of people and hospitalises a lot more but the health services etc know this and plan for it but if just 5% of the UK get the virus in the next few months that would mean around 390,000 people could need hospital treatment! There are around 170,000 hospital beds in the UK, has your local hospital got plans in place to deal with over twice its normal number of people coming through the door?

Hmm - there'd be space for emergency marquee's and camp beds in car parks if hospital visits are banned to help stop the spread.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/research-finds-huge-impact-of-interventions-on-spread-of-covid-19

An article on research on the Wuhan outbreak showing how if the Chinese government had taken measures two weeks earlier, 66% of cases wouldn't have happened. Three weeks earlier and the figure would have been over 90%.fewer cases. But really, this isn't anything groundbreaking. Only the numbers are new.

I watched that absurd fireside chat yesterday from No 10 between Johnson and that woman Harries and immediately knew, as he fed her leading question after leading question, that rather than being given sound scientific advice l was instead being subjected to a political broadcast justifying a high level political decision to do nothing.

It's quite shocking that because of this feckless and morally bankrupt government a lot of people are going to die. And then in the end, circumstances will force them to introduce measures anyway! 

What a mess.

Edited by Retsdon

About 03-30: 

I decide its a good time to do a weekly shopping trip while the local all night supermarket is likely near empty of shoppers and stocking its shelves BUT....

Her indoors has hidden the new pack of rubber washing up gloves I bought recently to avoid skin contact with shopping trolleys. I'd selfishly left them on the kitchen worktop so they'd be in our faces and not get forgotten next time we go out. I've spent about 20 minutes unsuccessfully trying to find them.

Edited by Dave-G

3 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

About 03-30: 

I decide its a good time to do a weekly shopping trip while the local all night supermarket is likely near empty of shoppers and stocking its shelves BUT....

Her indoors has hidden the new pack of rubber washing up gloves I bought recently to avoid skin contact with shopping trolleys. I'd selfishly left them on the kitchen worktop so they'd be in our faces and not get forgotten next time we go out. I've spent about 20 minutes unsuccessfully trying to find them.

Be careful with rubber gloves. Seemingly they're virus magnets and can carry contaminants for a long time. The policy I'm using is to carry a few of those very wet Dettol wipes in a little plastic bag in my pocket and to take one out to wipe down any surface like shopping trolley handles etc;that I'll have to handle. And avoiding touching surfaces in public places. It's no good washing your hands if you immediately contaminate them again turning off the tap! 

46 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Be careful with rubber gloves. Seemingly they're virus magnets and can carry contaminants for a long time. The policy I'm using is to carry a few of those very wet Dettol wipes in a little plastic bag in my pocket and to take one out to wipe down any surface like shopping trolley handles etc;that I'll have to handle. And avoiding touching surfaces in public places. It's no good washing your hands if you immediately contaminate them again turning off the tap! 

Thanks for the heads up. I bought several pairs with the idea I'd wash them after use then leave them till the others have all been used and washed too. wife has bought some Dettol wipes.

Edited by Dave-G

1 hour ago, Dave-G said:

I bought several pairs with the idea I'd wash them after use then leave them till the others have all been used and washed too.

I got this from another site..

"Generally speaking, pathogens will survive longer on glove surfaces than they will on the skin. And, unless you adopt the aseptic technique when removing the gloves, you may transfer contamination to the hands when you take off the gloves.

In high risk food environments, unless gloves are required for protective purposes, I've always preferred food handlers not to wear gloves for prolonged period. You actually get higher counts off gloved hands than you do from workers with bare skin.'

Make of it what you will.

29 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I got this from another site..

"Generally speaking, pathogens will survive longer on glove surfaces than they will on the skin. And, unless you adopt the aseptic technique when removing the gloves, you may transfer contamination to the hands when you take off the gloves.

In high risk food environments, unless gloves are required for protective purposes, I've always preferred food handlers not to wear gloves for prolonged period. You actually get higher counts off gloved hands than you do from workers with bare skin.'

Make of it what you will.

I shall keep that in mind thank you.

2 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Trumps closed the borders to the eu, both people and trade. I'm wondering if this is the excuse he's been waiting for to rebalance the trade with the eu. 

A strange speech.  https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/03/11/watch_live_trump_addresses_the_nation_on_coronavirus_from_oval_office.html As others have pointed out, he doesn't look at all well, notably around the 30 second mark. 

11 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

A strange speech.  https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/03/11/watch_live_trump_addresses_the_nation_on_coronavirus_from_oval_office.html As others have pointed out, he doesn't look at all well, notably around the 30 second mark. 

Just think he is squinting at the autocue so much and that he mispronounced/ then corrected himself- time for Specsavers Mr President 

How about this? https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-11/italy-doctors-coronavirus-covid-19-quarantine-milan-health/

Martina Crivellari, an intensive care cardiac anaesthesiologist at the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan.....
 "There are a lot of young people in our Intensive Care Units (ICUs) - our youngest is a 38-year-old who had had no comorbidities (underlying health problems). Adding that there are, "A lot of patients need help with breathing", she complains that there are not enough ventilators.

"They've told us", she then says, "that starting from now we'll have to choose who to intubate - priority will go to the young or those without comorbidities. At Niguarda, the other big hospital in Milan, they are not intubating anyone over 60, which is really, really young". 

A little over two weeks ago Italy had the same number of cases as the UK. OK, the Italian rate of increase was faster than the UK's has been to date but it's difficult to know what the real figures are because testing regimes differ so much. In any event this virus is obviously horribly contagious, and in the absence proper and effective measures to slow the spread, barring a miracle  it's almost inevitable that Britain will at some point be in the same boat as Italy is now.

I'm not trying to be a Johah here. I'm just pleading with people to take as much care as possible out there. This isn't something that can just be wished away. 

28 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Doing a good job of it though....

Well, if one single PW member thinks maybe that bore Retsdon might be right after all, and decides on a whim to take a bit more care and as a result avoids contracting a virus that might well kill them or someone they might pass it on to, then I don't care if I come across as aJohah. 

56 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I'm not trying to be a Johah here. I'm just pleading with people to take as much care as possible out there. This isn't something that can just be wished away. 

I kinda hope you are - if I remember my Sunday school correctly nothing actually happened to Ninevah. 

Which he got very cross about and had a strop. 

It’s very important that we all try not to put any unnecessary pressure on the NHS, try & stay safe lads the hospital doctors have not got any time to try and remove a black & decker drill from somebody’s head, leave any DIY till later in the year. 

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

How about this? https://www.itv.com/news/2020-03-11/italy-doctors-coronavirus-covid-19-quarantine-milan-health/

Martina Crivellari, an intensive care cardiac anaesthesiologist at the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan.....
 "There are a lot of young people in our Intensive Care Units (ICUs) - our youngest is a 38-year-old who had had no comorbidities (underlying health problems). Adding that there are, "A lot of patients need help with breathing", she complains that there are not enough ventilators.

"They've told us", she then says, "that starting from now we'll have to choose who to intubate - priority will go to the young or those without comorbidities. At Niguarda, the other big hospital in Milan, they are not intubating anyone over 60, which is really, really young". 

A little over two weeks ago Italy had the same number of cases as the UK. OK, the Italian rate of increase was faster than the UK's has been to date but it's difficult to know what the real figures are because testing regimes differ so much. In any event this virus is obviously horribly contagious, and in the absence proper and effective measures to slow the spread, barring a miracle  it's almost inevitable that Britain will at some point be in the same boat as Italy is now.

Yes I already said that, Italy not incubating anyone over 65, the U.K. will have to do the same if they have a big rush on hospitals. 

There won’t be enough breathing equipment to go around. 

23 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Yes I already said that, Italy not incubating anyone over 65, the U.K. will have to do the same if they have a big rush on hospitals. 

There won’t be enough breathing equipment to go around. 

Yes, that video in the ITV report I linked to of the Italian doctors talking is hellishly sobering stuff. Another heads up from it is the  bit about asymptomatic children as carriers.

I really don't know why British schools are still open. 

1 hour ago, strimmer_13 said:

Well ive just been told you can go to London sit in a secure facility for 2 weeks with a telly but no outside contact with a dose of corona for £3.5k. Apparently my misses work colleague has signed up 

Well if Trump extends his ban to the UK my holiday will be cancelled so can I sign up??? is broadband supplied (at least that way I can work too)

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

I'm originally from Italy (relatives still there, so I know how things rapidly deteriorated) and living in Scotland now. I'm afraid people here in understimating the seriousness of the situation, exactly how Italians were doing 2-3 weeks ago. Only hope the tragic lesson from Italy won't be ignored here and all over the world.