Could you self isolate?

Davyo

Hopefully this could be a wake up call to our government. When all this is over, it shows we need to stop raiding the country for every last penny and put some aside for a rainy day, properly fund our public services, have government run critical infrastructure and manufacturing and relook at globalization, which is starting to look like a failed experiment.

Also, thank god for Brexit, which meant the country has stockpiled certain essential supplies.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It just shows the culinary skills of a lot of people where it would appear that the only way they seem able to prepare for staying at home is to hoard pasta. I suppose when the loo roll runs out they could use sheets of lasagne, as long as they cook it al dente, to minimise the risk of poke-through. 

All the decent, proper fresh food would seem to be in plentiful supply. 

This was sent to me today

This explains the situation really well...

Let’s talk about just one of the people who has ‘escaped’ to the hills to ‘socially distance’ themselves. Let’s call him Brian. Brian has been at work all week, he isn’t lucky enough to work at home. Brian eats the lunch he carefully prepared at home on Tuesday, at his desk. Tom the cleaner cleaned Brian’s desk on Monday evening, but Tom had spent the weekend getting smashed in various pubs with his mates. Tom didn’t know it but he was infected. Before Tom cleaned Brian’s desk, he coughed into his hands. He doesn’t care about COVID-19 because he’s young and he believes it wont affect him. Whilst cleaning Brians desk he sheds some of the virus onto Brians keyboard. Brian has been using his keyboard all morning, and he just started eating his sandwich. Brian is now infected, but he wont show symptoms for another week.

Fast forward to the weekend and Brian decides, because he’s fit and healthy, he’s going to climb Snowdon with his wife. They arrive at Pen Y Pass after a 2 hour drive during which Brian shared some of his water with his wife. Brian is literally a virus incubator right now and if she hasn’t breathed in the virus, she’s covered in it, it’s only a matter of time. Brian pays his £10 parking charge using the machine and off he goes. There’s lots of lovely virus on the machine now, waiting for the next person...and the next...and the next. Brian and his wife decide to take the PYG track and it’s really busy. It’s so busy in fact that on the way up he has to wait in a queue to go over the stile at the Crib Goch junction. Brian isn’t wearing gloves today because the weather is nice and walking keeps you warm. He’s feeling a little more fatigued than usual though. Over the stile they both go, innocently shedding virus as they do. He’s sweating quite a bit and keeps wiping his face with his hand. At several points they have to put their hands on rock, the same rocks everyone else has to. Finally though, they get to the top, yay! They both have to wait in another queue to get onto the summit trig, which they touch, because it’s a kind of ritual. They don’t think about the 1000 other people who will do the same after them today. On the way down Brian’s wife takes a little tumble and twists her ankle. Mike, a local, comes over to offer assistance, which Is gratefully accepted. Mike and Brian support Brian’s wife to the bottom, Brian shake Mikes hand and they depart. Under normal circumstances Brian would take his wife to a minor injuries clinic, but they know the NHS is under strain because of the virus, it’s probably only a light sprain anyway, so they dont bother, they’re doing their bit to help by not going to hospital. Brian doesn’t know that he’s just infected countless people, and they don’t know either. Brian thinks what he is doing wont harm anyone and he goes home really happy with himself that he’s only doing what the government told him to do.

On the way home he really begins to feel rough but thinks he’s tired from the walk, so he stops for a coffee at the Shell garage in Betws Y Coed and gets himself a costa express coffee. After he’s chosen his drink using his bare hands on the touch screen, he uses some hand gel, because, he doesn’t want to catch the virus! He’s a responsible citizen though, so he keeps his distance from everyone else in the shop, 2 metres!

Brian has no idea he’s just unleashed a plague on North Wales in spectacular fashion.

Stay at home folks. Don’t be Brian.

Changing my car, Getting a 10 plate freelander 2 2.2 .  Buying from mate, he knows my car i know the freelander. We both have been very careful with this virus. And he says he will drive it down from York, and take mine back, both are more of less full of diesel.  And thinking about disinfecting steering wheel dash switchgear door handles on mine and he to do same on his.

Are we over reacting do you think,? what would you do when we swap over i am staying away from him, and sign log books and straight in envelope. We or i paid him online already.

Are we going way OTT or what. thoughts.

Edited by lancer425

1 hour ago, lancer425 said:

Changing my car, Getting a 10 plate freelander 2 2.2 .  Buying from mate, he knows my car i know the freelander. We both have been very careful with this virus. And he says he will drive it down from York, and take mine back, both are more of less full of diesel.  And thinking about disinfecting steering wheel dash switchgear door handles on mine and he to do same on his.

Are we over reacting do you think,? what would you do when we swap over i am staying away from him, and sign log books and straight in envelope. We or i paid him online already.

They are saying this virus can stay on some surfaces for upto 9 days , so I would be giving them a good clean , as best you can 

Today was the wife & mine’s first full day in after both developing symptoms yesterday. 
It’s not been too bad, and we’ve put together a list of stuff to do around the house that we’ve put off for a while/I’ve avoided due to going shooting. I’ve managed to bake bread, mow the lawn, have a nice long nap & spend some time reading. 
I’m not sure how bat**** crazy I’ll be in 6 days time though! 

2 hours ago, lancer425 said:

You are absolutely NOT going way OTT, this is how it must be now, its the new reality. The world has changed, otherwise you will be like my mate who tells me his local pub has closed so they all just go in round the back and knock the secret knock.  That's the Cornish for you, tell them to do something and you can be totally sure its the last thing they would ever think of doing. 

Be sensible, be safe, it may not be you that dies but somebody will

15 hours ago, Vince Green said:

This was sent to me today

This explains the situation really well...

Let’s talk about just one of the people who has ‘escaped’ to the hills to ‘socially distance’ themselves. Let’s call him Brian. Brian has been at work all week, he isn’t lucky enough to work at home. Brian eats the lunch he carefully prepared at home on Tuesday, at his desk. Tom the cleaner cleaned Brian’s desk on Monday evening, but Tom had spent the weekend getting smashed in various pubs with his mates. Tom didn’t know it but he was infected. Before Tom cleaned Brian’s desk, he coughed into his hands. He doesn’t care about COVID-19 because he’s young and he believes it wont affect him. Whilst cleaning Brians desk he sheds some of the virus onto Brians keyboard. Brian has been using his keyboard all morning, and he just started eating his sandwich. Brian is now infected, but he wont show symptoms for another week.

Fast forward to the weekend and Brian decides, because he’s fit and healthy, he’s going to climb Snowdon with his wife. They arrive at Pen Y Pass after a 2 hour drive during which Brian shared some of his water with his wife. Brian is literally a virus incubator right now and if she hasn’t breathed in the virus, she’s covered in it, it’s only a matter of time. Brian pays his £10 parking charge using the machine and off he goes. There’s lots of lovely virus on the machine now, waiting for the next person...and the next...and the next. Brian and his wife decide to take the PYG track and it’s really busy. It’s so busy in fact that on the way up he has to wait in a queue to go over the stile at the Crib Goch junction. Brian isn’t wearing gloves today because the weather is nice and walking keeps you warm. He’s feeling a little more fatigued than usual though. Over the stile they both go, innocently shedding virus as they do. He’s sweating quite a bit and keeps wiping his face with his hand. At several points they have to put their hands on rock, the same rocks everyone else has to. Finally though, they get to the top, yay! They both have to wait in another queue to get onto the summit trig, which they touch, because it’s a kind of ritual. They don’t think about the 1000 other people who will do the same after them today. On the way down Brian’s wife takes a little tumble and twists her ankle. Mike, a local, comes over to offer assistance, which Is gratefully accepted. Mike and Brian support Brian’s wife to the bottom, Brian shake Mikes hand and they depart. Under normal circumstances Brian would take his wife to a minor injuries clinic, but they know the NHS is under strain because of the virus, it’s probably only a light sprain anyway, so they dont bother, they’re doing their bit to help by not going to hospital. Brian doesn’t know that he’s just infected countless people, and they don’t know either. Brian thinks what he is doing wont harm anyone and he goes home really happy with himself that he’s only doing what the government told him to do.

On the way home he really begins to feel rough but thinks he’s tired from the walk, so he stops for a coffee at the Shell garage in Betws Y Coed and gets himself a costa express coffee. After he’s chosen his drink using his bare hands on the touch screen, he uses some hand gel, because, he doesn’t want to catch the virus! He’s a responsible citizen though, so he keeps his distance from everyone else in the shop, 2 metres!

Brian has no idea he’s just unleashed a plague on North Wales in spectacular fashion.

Stay at home folks. Don’t be Brian.

Whilst this illustrates unknowingly passing on the virus very well, you have on the other hand those ignorant and arrogant people out at the weekend climbing Snowdon, exercising in parks using and handling fitness apparatus in close proximity to others and of course those flocking to Cornish beaches etc. Some when interviewed were so arrogant in their attitudes, it really does beggar belief. What planet are these people on ? Do they not see what’s happened in Italy and now Spain and elsewhere, shortly to happen in the UK now that they have totally ignored Boris’s advice. No doubt they will be the first to moan once further now necessary restrictions are imposed by law.

OB

Without starting another thread a question for you all.

DO YOU THINK YOU HAVE DONE A GOOD JOB OF PROTECTING YOURSELF AND OTHERS SO FAR IN THIS SITUATION?

And  Where are you at exactly how long have you been locked down if you have and how long do you plan on locking down. ?

I think i have done as much as i possibly can do so far.

I just got my last of my family back from university Saturday, after he was isolating himself in his accommodation for 10 days prior.

I was effectively isolating for a fortnight up to last weekend, with a back injury, i ignored my last hospital appointment last Monday morning to stay isolated. I have been out in the car but only taking my youngest to work, but he packed in Friday. and was just a small engineering shop who decided to lock down. He will get some wages AFAIK. but i am as sure as i can be we have done as a family of five to do all we can.

We have not been out since last Monday. Everything that is delivered and the post gets sprayed or wiped with 70% isopropyl alcohol. Intending to stay put for at least a month or more.

We were lucky that I had recently bought a load of tins and dry goods for our tourer caravan ready for the weather improving. Also some provisions to take down our wood too. They will be used in the house now. 

I always keep a good stock in our large freezer. Bought some bread flour last Monday at 6am at Tesco also some soft drinks and canned beer. Got some tinned fruit for the parrots for when the fresh fruit runs out. We will be eating frozen and tinned veg when the fresh runs out. Managed to get some more dog food from Amazon last week.

When the toilet paper runs out it's a shower bidet shataff or a sponge on a stick. Managing to make a roll last more than a week at the moment by being careful.

Cancelled our appointments for a blood pressure check and did them at home and sent the surgery the results. Our next appointments at the Doctors are going to be by telephone.

We count our blessing we are retired in the position to do this.

23 hours ago, lancer425 said:

Wifes Ignis wantvin for its 1st service @ Stoneacre Suzuki on Friday.They came and collected it wiping all touchables down  1st.Popped on a seat cover and plastic steering wheel cover on before driving off gloved up.

On return they did it all again leaving me with a bottle of antiseptic solution in a sealed bag handing the key back in a bag after being cleaned.

Car will sit there till whenever as we are isolating.

1 hour ago, loriusgarrulus said:

We have not been out since last Monday. Everything that is delivered and the post gets sprayed or wiped with 70% isopropyl alcohol. Intending to stay put for at least a month or more.

We were lucky that I had recently bought a load of tins and dry goods for our tourer caravan ready for the weather improving. Also some provisions to take down our wood too. They will be used in the house now. 

I always keep a good stock in our large freezer. Bought some bread flour last Monday at 6am at Tesco also some soft drinks and canned beer. Got some tinned fruit for the parrots for when the fresh fruit runs out. We will be eating frozen and tinned veg when the fresh runs out. Managed to get some more dog food from Amazon last week.

When the toilet paper runs out it's a shower bidet shataff or a sponge on a stick. Managing to make a roll last more than a week at the moment by being careful.

Cancelled our appointments for a blood pressure check and did them at home and sent the surgery the results. Our next appointments at the Doctors are going to be by telephone.

We count our blessing we are retired in the position to do this.

You do right we are all doing the same.

59 minutes ago, Davyo said:

Wifes Ignis wantvin for its 1st service @ Stoneacre Suzuki on Friday.They came and collected it wiping all touchables down  1st.Popped on a seat cover and plastic steering wheel cover on before driving off gloved up.

On return they did it all again leaving me with a bottle of antiseptic solution in a sealed bag handing the key back in a bag after being cleaned.

Car will sit there till whenever as we are isolating.

Mate delivered the free lander just after lunch, i kept my distance at all times we signed log books on the drive , literally walked forward to pick them up with gloves on. he drove off wearing gloves, he parked free lander in the corner of the yard where it will stay now. until i need it which might be a month or more.

I think the virus will die if exposed to outside air i thought about opening it a couple of days in the day before i start using it manage with lads fiesta and wife’s 4x4 .