Lockdown

DazAllison

4 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I don't believe that young people are so selfish. I think it's that people generally don't understand how these pathogens work and multiply. I've promised not to be negative, but I can't help thinking that there's been a failure to articulate a clear goal that the population at large can sign up to and feel part of. Like the military says, there's no such thing as bad troops. if you provide the motivation, people will step up.

I would have thought staying alive good motivation. If Borris tells me to stop in and dont even go out the door i will. Just tell me what i have to do consider it done.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Retsdon said:

I don't believe that young people are so selfish. I think it's that people generally don't understand how these pathogens work and multiply. I've promised not to be negative, but I can't help thinking that there's been a failure to articulate a clear goal that the population at large can sign up to and feel part of. Like the military says, there's no such thing as bad troops. if you provide the motivation, people will step up.

There are no pockets in a shroud. 

Well this evening me and the missus waited till it was nice and quiet and went for a walk around to avoid going stir  crazy. We walked down to a local beauty/visitor spot . It has a couple of pubs,restaurants and cafes. It was all shutdown and eerie. However the car park had about 20 cars parked up. All young people 40/50 at least ,having a good time in what looked like an organised meet up. They appeared to be having a great time and obviously totally oblivious to government advice. 

6 hours ago, clangerman said:

hopefully only the stupid and selfish who ignore advice not to mix with others and stay in will get to use the 27,000 mortuary boards on order ASAP and we call animals dumb! 

The selfish and stupid will be happily spreading it around to those that are trying to be careful . It's time now that the country was locked down for everything except the essentials.

9 hours ago, Medic1281 said:

There’s currently a normally fit and well 13yr old in itu. 

I can't help but think, the original information given to the country by our government was spoon fed to us not to cause panic, I don't buy that this disease doesn't affect fit, young people. Italian doctors have said they've got young, healthy people in and if your admitted it's nearly 50-50 if you live or die, regardless of age.

Praying that young kid pulls through ok

hello, like all Governments they will only tell you what they think you ought to know, it is what we are not told that leads to speculation and fear, here is a thought, it is said that Corvid 19 started in China in the city of Wuhan from a sea food market and other animals are sold for consumption, this has been going on for many many years, my question is why then has not this Virus shown itself years ago, or maybe it has ?  or did this virus originate from a State owned virology lab that many people speculate including some highly respected Scientists,

Until there is a vaccin the only thing that can be done is try and keep the number of infected down.

Are we going to sacrifice 1--2% of the population to the virus and x% more due to lack of intensive care to make sure people are not bored out of their mind or to keep the economy going?

If you lock down society then care people will have to stay at home to take care of their kids and that will increase the numbers of untreated patients even more. 

I'm horrified thinking about the slums in the 3:d world larger cities and what the numbers will be like there.

This one has no easy answers exept for washing your hands often, alcohole is NOT as good/better, and keep your distance to other people.

/Markus 

22 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, like all Governments they will only tell you what they think you ought to know, it is what we are not told that leads to speculation and fear, here is a thought, it is said that Corvid 19 started in China in the city of Wuhan from a sea food market and other animals are sold for consumption, this has been going on for many many years, my question is why then has not this Virus shown itself years ago, or maybe it has ?  or did this virus originate from a State owned virology lab that many people speculate including some highly respected Scientists,

I agree, it could well be a escaped bio weapon/research that has escaped.

With regards why the virus hasn't shown itself in people before, think of it like playing the lottery, it's a filthy unheigenic market, where live non domesticated animals are kept in very close proximity to humans, virus mutate very quickly, however, it's very unlikely that any one mutation would randomly be able to latch on to human cells, but just like the lottery, no matter how unlikely something is to happen, given enough chances, if it's possible, it eventually will. There's good reason non domesticated animals have strict licencing around movement and cleanliness ect. Domesticated animals have evolved with humans over thousands of years, my guess is most of the harmful illness we could catch from them we probably have in the past and the human race will have natural immunity. China has alot to answer for in my opinion.

Edited by 12gauge82

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

agree, it could well be a escaped bio weapon/research that has escaped.

If it is a weapon who says its escaped?

Look at how much more advanced medicine is now compared to when the Spanish Flu hit and yet the entire planet seems to be helpless??

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

If it is a weapon who says its escaped?

Look at how much more advanced medicine is now compared to when the Spanish Flu hit and yet the entire planet seems to be helpless??

I wouldn't rule anything out, but I think it unlikely they unleashed this on themselves, although not impossible obviously.

14 hours ago, DazAllison said:

surely lockdown is the only solution??

What makes anyone think lockdown is a solution? All it does is slow the spread and ease the burden on medical services. I reckon that when the pandemic ends (if it does), the total casualties will be about the same whether we lockdown or not - and without lockdown it will be over sooner.

I don't pretend to have a solution to offer, but if I've learned anything in my longish life it is that knee jerk reactions almost always make things worse. Think about the panic buying caused by the relentless scaremongering from the new channels, particularly Channel 4.

The government told the schools to close to reduce contact. Brilliant wheeze! Yesterday was a fine day and dozens of kids were out playing in the park. 🙄

Instead of simply telling the public to act responsibly, the government should also be telling the same thing to their own people and also the media.

9 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I wouldn't rule anything out, but I think it unlikely they unleashed this on themselves, although not impossible obviously.

If they already had a cure I think China would definitely unleash it on their own massive population,  but this is pure worst thought scenario in my head.

5 minutes ago, Westward said:

What makes anyone think lockdown is a solution? All it does is slow the spread and ease the burden on medical services. I reckon that when the pandemic ends (if it does), the total casualties will be about the same whether we lockdown or not - and without lockdown it will be over sooner.

I don't pretend to have a solution to offer, but if I've learned anything in my longish life it is that knee jerk reactions almost always make things worse. Think about the panic buying caused by the relentless scaremongering from the new channels, particularly Channel 4.

The government told the schools to close to reduce contact. Brilliant wheeze! Yesterday was a fine day and dozens of kids were out playing in the park. 🙄

Instead of simply telling the public to act responsibly, the government should also be telling the same thing to their own people and also the media.

hello, yes still plenty of youngsters about in town and the park, even had 2 musical buskers playing very nice music,

7 minutes ago, Westward said:

I reckon that when the pandemic ends (if it does), the total casualties will be about the same whether we lockdown or not - and without lockdown it will be over sooner.

We will never know. All we can do is prioritize economy or hospital intensive care.

/M

The News reports show people still meeting in groups and ignoring advice on distancing. I would not be surprised if before long lockdown will be total except for essential trips. eg supermarket, chemist etc. My solo drive to farm to shoot will have to be regarded as going to natures supermarket for food.

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am going to add like most emergencies we are at most never geared up to cope from day 1 or think it is not necessary to stock pile in such cases, although i feel sure this Conservative Government are being more capable than Labour  or Lib Dems or Greens would ever be, but then do we realy need Boris tell us how to wash our hand properly ???

44 minutes ago, Westward said:

I'm not sure lock down is the solution, more like, at the right time, it would make the best of an awful situation, if the rate of infections start to peak higher than the NHS coping threshold, the will literally be hundreds of thousands, if not a million or so who would needlessly die, think critically ill people like heart attacks, strokes ect not able to get urgent treatment, Corona patients who would survive with ventilation, but will die because there's no spare capacity. A lock down if cases spike high enough could definitely benefit us all. Italy says they wish they'd locked down earlier.

29 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am going to add like most emergencies we are at most never geared up to cope from day 1 or think it is not necessary to stock pile in such cases, although i feel sure this Conservative Government are being more capable than Labour  or Lib Dems or Greens would ever be, but then do we realy need Boris tell us how to wash our hand properly ???

hello, now the BBC are telling us how to wash our hands properly now, perhaps we should give the V to the BBC

41 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I'm not sure lock down is the solution, more like, at the right time, it would make the best of an awful situation, if the rate of infections start to peak higher than the NHS coping threshold, the will literally be hundreds of thousands, if not a million or so who would needlessly die, think critically ill people like heart attacks, strokes ect not able to get urgent treatment, Corona patients who would survive with ventilation, but will die because there's no spare capacity. A lock down if cases spike high enough could definitely benefit us all. Italy says they wish they'd locked down earlier.

I don't disagree but it needs to be organised because there's a balance to be considered between the level at which local medical facilities break down and how long the pandemic lasts. Governments, or more specifically the civil servants who really make the decisions, never seem to get the fact that there are different conditions and circumstances in different parts of the country. Here in Glos for example, there are only 20 or so cases, and with similar levels in surrounding areas lockdown is pointless for us right now. If infections increase here it will come from outside through train and vehicle travel, parcel and food deliveries etc.

Italy shows that lockdown in a democratic society only has a small effect on preventing the spread, especially in urban areas.

8 minutes ago, Westward said:

I don't disagree but it needs to be organised because there's a balance to be considered between the level at which local medical facilities break down and how long the pandemic lasts. Governments, or more specifically the civil servants who really make the decisions, never seem to get the fact that there are different conditions and circumstances in different parts of the country. Here in Glos for example, there are only 20 or so cases, and with similar levels in surrounding areas lockdown is pointless for us right now. If infections increase here it will come from outside through train and vehicle travel, parcel and food deliveries etc.

Italy shows that lockdown in a democratic society only has a small effect on preventing the spread, especially in urban areas.

Agreed, however you can't rely on official figures. Italy locked down when there were less than 500 deaths, I'm not sure how many positive tests, however, they only test you if your on deaths door, anyone showing symptoms gets told to self isolate, without a test, so there's no telling how many infected there are, I'll guarantee you one thing, there's vastly more than 20 cases in Glos

I think some people on here need to give their heads a wobble. 

It isn’t going to kill everybody  

it isn’t a bio weapon  

it hasn’t come from space

the majority who get it will make a quick recovery

a few will need hospitalisation 

fewer still will die. The majority of these will have been poorly anyway. It’s a shame but that’s life/death.  Of the people who die nobody knows (the government have been quite clear on this) how many would have died anyway. 

It’s important that we slow the spread but slowing it isn’t a solution. 

Now if you truly think that any of the above isn’t true then I suggest you top yourself now as there is no hope for you. 

Have been self isolating since Wednesday with all the symptoms of coronavirus, 111 have advised me to self medicate and call an ambulance if i deteriorate.
Believe me it is truly awful and im fairly fit.
I understand the temptation to open bars for "take away" outside and take a few quid is it worth it????
Stop behaving like ita a bank holiday **** up, trust me, you dont want this.

37 minutes ago, AVB said:

I think some people on here need to give their heads a wobble. 

It isn’t going to kill everybody  

it isn’t a bio weapon  

it hasn’t come from space

the majority who get it will make a quick recovery

a few will need hospitalisation 

fewer still will die. The majority of these will have been poorly anyway. It’s a shame but that’s life/death.  Of the people who die nobody knows (the government have been quite clear on this) how many would have died anyway. 

It’s important that we slow the spread but slowing it isn’t a solution. 

Now if you truly think that any of the above isn’t true then I suggest you top yourself now as there is no hope for you. 

The majority might get mild symptoms, however, they class mild as not going on oxygen. Trust me, most who get it might not die, but they're gonna feel like they are