Self employed

AVB

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

That’s a bit of a ramble! There’s nothing like a sweeping generalisation is there? 🙂

My work vehicle is diesel, my partners vehicle is petrol. In case you didn’t know, it states what type of fuel you bought on your receipt. I’m not VAT registered. 
Id be very interested in hearing from you why ‘according to the chancellor’ my time is up? 
Punctuation would help. 👍

Yep, Same here Skully!?  I been self employed qualified tradesman since i was 21. Nearly 35 years. Always played and paid fair! Always knew and accepted and kinda enjoyed the risks and uncertainty of having/finding work! No paid holidays sick pay or when weather was bad. Enjoy the flexibility, managing my own time and doing different jobs. No longer do site work because of restrictions, bad payers and no money in it now. Building trade has always been hard! . . . I ask how we stand because now suddenly they have asked/stopped us working and no income for the foreseeable future! it is certainly going to be different! These are my big earning months. Had tough times before! Haven't asked for and never expect any hand outs! If they do clobber us  after this i do know that a lot of good tradesmen who ride this out will give up. I have found it hard to get good trades people as it was when i needed help. A lot of people think we have it easy! The big boys have always wanted rid of us! This is there chance to squeeze us out if Gov take notice of them! . . . Just more control over those who dare to be individual and try to better themselves!            NB   

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

These are my big earning months

Can you not still do exterior work? Or have the jobs been pulled because of the uncertainty?

This is my third stint contracting,  I enjoy the flexibility,  being able to say I'm working these hours rather than being told what I'm working. 

You'll often get guys moan your on more money than them but you haven't got the assurance they have like now, and often their not good enough or brave enough to take the risk of contract work.

17 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Yep, Same here Skully!?  I been self employed qualified tradesman since i was 21. Nearly 35 years. Always played and paid fair! Always knew and accepted and kinda enjoyed the risks and uncertainty of having/finding work! No paid holidays sick pay or when weather was bad. Enjoy the flexibility, managing my own time and doing different jobs. No longer do site work because of restrictions, bad payers and no money in it now. Building trade has always been hard! . . . I ask how we stand because now suddenly they have asked/stopped us working and no income for the foreseeable future! it is certainly going to be different! These are my big earning months. Had tough times before! Haven't asked for and never expect any hand outs! If they do clobber us  after this i do know that a lot of good tradesmen who ride this out will give up. I have found it hard to get good trades people as it was when i needed help. A lot of people think we have it easy! The big boys have always wanted rid of us! This is there chance to squeeze us out if Gov take notice of them! . . . Just more control over those who dare to be individual and try to better themselves!            NB   

😂😂😂

Like I said originally stop the bull **** oh and by the way apologies for the punctuation  

I've been self employed since I finished my apprenticeship.

That's involved sub contracting to companies a few times but mainly finding my own private work.

I've always used an accountant to file my tax returns.

Never claimed anything from the government.

I currently have a couple of limited companies but they haven't filed accounts yet.

My own (se60) tax return is late as apparently it needed to tally with the company ones.

Also my shop is closed and has no record of what I was taking so I'll get nothing for that. (Sole trader until recently)

I've made little proffit from building work in the last couple of years as I've been ploughing it all into new business that will get nothing.

I have already had tenants tell me that they won't be able to pay their rent this month and I'll get no help there although I can maybe take a break from paying the mortgages but that's just added onto the end.

I filed a VAT return last Thursday but it seems unlikely that I will get the (not insignificant) rebate any time soon.

I'm a builder so apparently immune to this flu and have to continue to work but my customers are cancelling and supply chains are disrupted not to mention people can't work as they are either "self isolating" or can't get child care.

So 20 plus years of trying to create something being self employed is all looking very grim and I honestly don't know how I will be on the other side of this.

Still think being self employed is a big scam and this is the cummupence? 

Edd

Edited by eddoakley

On 25/03/2020 at 17:18, AVB said:

I can last for about 10 months. This is going to go on for longer. What do you mean by playing the system? I use legitimate tax reduction techniques used by all businesses.  Are you saying I should pay more? If so why and how much? How much extra do you pay over and above what you are legally obliged to pay?

The government said “nobody will be be disadvantaged by having to make the sacrifices demanded by the government” which isn’t true is it? 

This is possibly the most telling comment in this thread.

Not available to those on PAYE!

hello, they estimate around 5 million self employed in the UK, i am sure there are those as described by Heron but the vast majority are hard working decent people, this will effect all those working employed or self employed, and the money being paid out by the Government will i expect need to be recuperated, i am sure there are other countries where the citizens effected by this virus epidemic are not getting any help, lets just hope this situation we are in now will not go on to long and we can all get back to normality, what ever that be

There will be folk in the whole spectrum of employment, so it will be impossible to develop a handout package that will equitably cover all situations. Time will tell how this all shakes down. There are those who never work for anything other than cash, who are unlikely to shout about not being helped because to do so will lead to an investigation and besides they probably have the cash stashed and don’t need a handout. One thing that is certain is that we will all be paying more in tax and if after this it tightens up on the black economy then it will be more equitable for everyone in the future.

8 hours ago, The Heron said:

😂😂😂

Like I said originally stop the bull **** oh and by the way apologies for the punctuation  

So the employed have the monopoly on honesty? You’ve never swung the lead and called in sick with a sniffle, and claimed SSP? 
I’m assuming you haven’t reported all those self employed people who are flashing their 50 pound notes all over the place? 
You still haven’t explained why ‘my time is up’, nor what effect this will have on me. Take your time; there’s no rush, I’m assuming you’re sat at home getting paid for it. 😀

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

This is possibly the most telling comment in this thread.

Not available to those on PAYE!

I agree and I used to get wound up by it when I was PAYE for 35 years. Then I set up my business and missed all the things I got when PAYE - paid holiday, sick pay, pension, health insurance, life insurance etc. 

I might pay less income tax now but the difference isn’t significant when you take into account the above plus paying Corporation tax, accountancy fees, indemnity insurance, late paying/non-paying customers etc. 

If you think it’s that great give it a try.  

3 hours ago, eddoakley said:

I've been self employed since I finished my apprenticeship.

That's involved sub contracting to companies a few times but mainly finding my own private work.

I've always used an accountant to file my tax returns.

Never claimed anything from the government.

I currently have a couple of limited companies but they haven't filed accounts yet.

My own (se60) tax return is late as apparently it needed to tally with the company ones.

Also my shop is closed and has no record of what I was taking so I'll get nothing for that. (Sole trader until recently)

I've made little proffit from building work in the last couple of years as I've been ploughing it all into new business that will get nothing.

I have already had tenants tell me that they won't be able to pay their rent this month and I'll get no help there although I can maybe take a break from paying the mortgages but that's just added onto the end.

I filed a VAT return last Thursday but it seems unlikely that I will get the (not insignificant) rebate any time soon.

I'm a builder so apparently immune to this flu and have to continue to work but my customers are cancelling and supply chains are disrupted not to mention people can't work as they are either "self isolating" or can't get child care.

So 20 plus years of trying to create something being self employed is all looking very grim and I honestly don't know how I will be on the other side of this.

Still think being self employed is a big scam and this is the cummupence? 

Edd

You see Edd, you've bucked the trend. You've taken chances and risks,  worked damn hard trying to improve yourself and your position. 

You should have just carried on working for a boss till you reach retirement age like those that moan about what they can't claim because they are PAYE. Good luck.

13 hours ago, Mice! said:

Can you not still do exterior work? Or have the jobs been pulled because of the uncertainty?

This is my third stint contracting,  I enjoy the flexibility,  being able to say I'm working these hours rather than being told what I'm working. 

You'll often get guys moan your on more money than them but you haven't got the assurance they have like now, and often their not good enough or brave enough to take the risk of contract work.

Jobs been pulled Mice. Others are second homes and holiday lets. Some goy there kids at home, folk older or are isolating! Had lean times before i'll tough it out. Be ok for next few months. Have done estimates this week for a Norman church, school, boat, large mural and a beach hut. That's why i like the diversity of what i do and the flexibility of being self employed to be able to do such jobs. And so many people say decorating is boring! 😉 If i get  half them jobs and can get back to work in next three months i'll be OK. Not religious but i love working on old churches. Church Dioceses slow payers tho. 60 days from invoice! But hey. That's the joys of being self employed! Some local authorities etc are 90 days. Not many realise that.      NB

5 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Jobs been pulled Mice. Others are second homes and holiday lets. Some goy there kids at home, folk older or are isolating! Had lean times before i'll tough it out. Be ok for next few months. Have done estimates this week for a Norman church, school, boat, large mural and a beach hut. That's why i like the diversity of what i do and the flexibility of being self employed to be able to do such jobs. And so many people say decorating is boring! 😉 If i get  half them jobs and can get back to work in next three months i'll be OK. Not religious but i love working on old churches. Church Dioceses slow payers tho. 60 days from invoice! But hey. That's the joys of being self employed! Some local authorities etc are 90 days. Not many realise that.      NB

Well let's hope in few months you can put up some pictures of before and after 👍

13 hours ago, The Heron said:

😂😂😂

Care to expand on what/why you think what i have said is bull? Would you like to share with us what you do for a living/where you work? Why you so down on the self employed? . . . . And for what it's worth. A bunch of us you dislike set up a CV19 help network last week to help local folk for free. Sorted up running working and publicised in 3 days. Using our many contacts/suppliers and just because we can. It's what community is about at this time.    NB    

3 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Care to expand on what/why you think what i have said is bull? Would you like to share with us what you do for a living/where you work? Why you so down on the self employed? . . . . And for what it's worth. A bunch of us you dislike set up a CV19 help network last week to help local folk for free. Sorted up running working and publicised in 3 days. Using our many contacts/suppliers and just because we can. It's what community is about at this time.    NB    

First thing apologies for upsetting the genuine honest self employed and it is wrong to say that I dislike them I have friends who are self employed and usually we have a bit of banter about pros and cons of being self employed but you have to say that there was until the present situation a thriving black economy that existed where money was exchanged no question's asked 

Finally well done nature boy and all of those who are helping less fortunate people around them we are all in this together. 

23 hours ago, The Heron said:

The self employed don't make me laugh I know a lot of them every time you see them it's cash £50 notes not cards pubs I asked one if he took cards (are you joking I was told) in the garage in the family car fill it up can I have a vat receipt on the news tonight there were people saying that they were living week to week if you are that bad at business then work for somebody also there was a couple he was a painter and decorator and she was a mobile hair dresser with a fantastic house. 

I look forward to the replys from all you honest self employed the fact is that you have had it very good for a very very long time and now according to the chancellor it's time to pay up 

The words of an utter tool.

I'm self employed thru a LTD too. I have to, I can't get jobs without that due to (mainly) liability insurance. Our two main clients shutdown completely last week, so no more work. As reported, there's no 'backup' for us at all; luckily we got a good buffer but basically it's just ******* money from now on. From reading here and there that situation (in various form) could last up to 2 years, until there is a vaccine/treatment.

We'll be on benefits LONG before that, but in way, it's now the surest way to get some income! Don't work or try to drive a business, just do **** all watching daytime TV and wait for the checks in the mail.

8 hours ago, buze said:

I'm self employed thru a LTD too. I have to, I can't get jobs without that due to (mainly) liability insurance. Our two main clients shutdown completely last week, so no more work. As reported, there's no 'backup' for us at all; luckily we got a good buffer but basically it's just ******* money from now on. From reading here and there that situation (in various form) could last up to 2 years, until there is a vaccine/treatment.

We'll be on benefits LONG before that, but in way, it's now the surest way to get some income! Don't work or try to drive a business, just do **** all watching daytime TV and wait for the checks in the mail.

It's never been easy being self employed especially if you want to employ others too, whether PAYE or subcontractors.

This (whatever it is and however long it runs) will be the end of many small businesses.

There's no way that this will just disappear in a couple of weeks so what happens after that?

Every time someone coughs a business will have to "isolate". I've a few people in my offices, what happens if someone has a cold? Nobody in for 2 weeks?

Ah- but we work in construction so we can just carry on? 

My office is attached to manufacturing company (ductwork). They have already told staff that if they decide to go self isolate the business will fold in a matter of days.

I'm seriously contemplating winding everything up now, saving what I can and just claiming benefits sooner rather than later.

It sucks.

Edd

2 hours ago, eddoakley said:

My office is attached to manufacturing company (ductwork). They have already told staff that if they decide to go self isolate the business will fold in a matter of days.

And that's not right, their being forced to work .

What's wrong with the company doing the furlough thing and claiming 80%

2 hours ago, eddoakley said:

It's never been easy being self employed especially if you want to employ others too, whether PAYE or subcontractors.

This (whatever it is and however long it runs) will be the end of many small businesses.

There's no way that this will just disappear in a couple of weeks so what happens after that?

Every time someone coughs a business will have to "isolate". I've a few people in my offices, what happens if someone has a cold? Nobody in for 2 weeks?

Ah- but we work in construction so we can just carry on? 

I'm seriously contemplating winding everything up now, saving what I can and just claiming benefits sooner rather than later.

It sucks.

Edd

hello, no one could blame you Edd

Have been self employed /sole trader for 20years and don't expect any help from the gov,what we will get will be to little to late for some and even then they will suffer later on pay back.

A lot of small business will not be able to ride this one out,I can remember living week to week,it's going to sink the cash in hand guys,so may be a boom if we all live to see it,given skills shortage anyway.

Gov.uk  says we can still work and in people's houses ,how.....all the merchants have shut and I am not risking my or my families lives for money.just staying at home getting on with renovation improvements to the property ,when everyone was panicking buying I just ordered materials ready for isolation so I could get loads done.

Already lost £50k  contract and work has just evaporated,times will be hard especially once this gets a real hold in next few weeks,remaining alive is priority over money,looking after family is the only thing now,staying at home now and picking up what we can if we come out the side.

I have friends and relations in the NHS and they have not got the correct ppe yet,some only now being measured for the masks at £15 a Pop lasts 4 hours compared to these wrap rounds that last 4minutes ???,so if you have the  cheap masks 4 minutes and then vapour on mask then renders it useless and you can still be infected through your eyes ?

Stay home,don't go out to meet corona and will never be able to follow you home.

Edited by vampire
Spelling

17 hours ago, The Heron said:

First thing apologies for upsetting the genuine honest self employed and it is wrong to say that I dislike them I have friends who are self employed and usually we have a bit of banter about pros and cons of being self employed but you have to say that there was until the present situation a thriving black economy that existed where money was exchanged no question's asked 

Finally well done nature boy and all of those who are helping less fortunate people around them we are all in this together. 

Ahh! The old black economy line! Ant heard that onr for a while! No! no one has to say it! I can only speak for the building trades, but the big boys and gov have used that stick to beat us for years every time there's a dip in the economy or they want to squeeze us! They  tried it with the CIS scheme. High threshold! Loads of skilled lads packed in because building company's and contractors ripped them off over deductions!. . . Look at wrong doing higher up the line before you keep having a go at us!. . . . I was up against a big utility company a while back doing local authority work and couldn't work out why they aggressively wanted to squeeze me out so i looked them up. Turned out there company is registered in the Netherlands. Has multi million pound turn over yet paid less tax in this country than i did! That's whats wrong! I flagged it up to local council and in press. I/we could do the contracts for a 1/3 of what they were charging and still make good money! Yet i was out and they ended up with/still have all contracts. Top heavy/share holder company's doing dodgy deals at the top with benefits (back handers) using/wasting/taking tax payers money! 

There's always been a few "Loads of Money" Self employed gobby chancers in the trades. They don't last long! But it's that image you and others tarnish the rest of us with!

Many be People/ Gov who wana have a go/get rid the self employed also need to remember the Gov/Ministers expenses scandle? Elected MPs grabbing what tax payers money they can on expenses.  . . .John Gummer ( Lord Deben) is a interesting local example of that. Remember him claiming for a tennis courts constructed at his country home ect? Or better still. Him claiming hundreds to have a jackdaws nest removed from his chimney and a duck house built on his pond. Big con! False invoices. Know his gardener who did it and he still get loads of stick about it.😉 Gummer has cottage in his grounds full of casual east European workers he use. Crime rate often goes up locally when they go back home/change. Also have a look at his and his family's environmental company's before judging the self employed. There returns and cosy environmental and "advisory" contracts with the government.

Would you say the same about the ol boi doing a bit of gardening for cash to top up his pension!  Or ol gal/single mum doing a bit of cleaning and ironing to get by? Are they "the black economy" As you see it?

And! You still haven't told us what you do?

Any How folks! Most of your local tradesmen/self employed will help you if they can at this time! . . But remember! They will really need your support on the other side of this!

I will take on/help as many as i can if i can get the work and play catch up. Have chatted to many this week who are really gona struggle!

Another rant over.        NB