Police Action

Danger-Mouse

2 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Actually its not so much the caravan owners because the caravan parks have closed in Cornwall. Its the hated second home owners that the "Inbreds" despise with a vengeance anyway and will happily believe any tale of their deviousness without question.

as a village inbred lol we trusted no one until they lived in the village for at least 20 years or 15 if you married your cousin lol 

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

If you read the article he says exactly the same thing and asks the public to toe the line and cops to use a  bit of common sense. No where does he say that he is going to check trolleys or block roads. He also points out the vagueness of the wording of the act. 

My posting? Ok if that’s so then did you buy alcohol at the supermarket? Deodorant?

The list goes on, check yours and others recent shopping receipts before questioning others.

Have you, or others on here, purchased ‘non essential’ items online? Most are lying if they say they haven’t 

10 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

If things don't improve, and we don't get the compliance we would expect, then the next stage will be road blocks and it will be stopping people to ask why they are going, where they're going.

We will not, at this stage, be setting up road blocks. We will not, at this stage, start to marshal supermarkets and checking the items in baskets and trolleys to see whether it's a legitimate, necessary item.

"This is about reasonableness and if people are not reasonable in terms of the journeys and the trips they are taking, they are going to fall foul of the law.

The cop has urged his police officers to use their "common sense" when it comes to deciding whether to issue a fine or arrest anyone.

He also said government guidance on how to crackdown on those flouting the law "could be even clearer" as it is currently ambiguous.

PCC Adderley added: "The issue about, what is a necessary item, only go out for necessities - what is a necessity?

"If we're stopping somebody because they've bought a barbecue set or they've bought a child's toy, you could argue that's not necessary.

"On the other hand, you could argue it absolutely is necessary - because in terms of the mental health and trying to keep people entertained over this period of lockdown, that is very necessary.

"So the nuances and the interpretation is really ambiguous - that's why I'm saying to officers, use your common sense, use your discretion."

Seem pretty clear what he is trying to say.

No where does he tell the boys to get the panzers across the road and turn out peoples shopping. No where does it say that. 

We don’t have Panzers :-), odd challenger maybe 

9 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

If things don't improve, and we don't get the compliance we would expect, then the next stage will be road blocks and it will be stopping people to ask why they are going, where they're going.

We will not, at this stage, be setting up road blocks. We will not, at this stage, start to marshal supermarkets and checking the items in baskets and trolleys to see whether it's a legitimate, necessary item.

"This is about reasonableness and if people are not reasonable in terms of the journeys and the trips they are taking, they are going to fall foul of the law.

The cop has urged his police officers to use their "common sense" when it comes to deciding whether to issue a fine or arrest anyone.

He also said government guidance on how to crackdown on those flouting the law "could be even clearer" as it is currently ambiguous.

PCC Adderley added: "The issue about, what is a necessary item, only go out for necessities - what is a necessity?

"If we're stopping somebody because they've bought a barbecue set or they've bought a child's toy, you could argue that's not necessary.

"On the other hand, you could argue it absolutely is necessary - because in terms of the mental health and trying to keep people entertained over this period of lockdown, that is very necessary.

"So the nuances and the interpretation is really ambiguous - that's why I'm saying to officers, use your common sense, use your discretion."

Seem pretty clear what he is trying to say.

No where does he tell the boys to get the panzers across the road and turn out peoples shopping. No where does it say that. 

So what does “we will start to do that” (which you conveniently deleted from your quote) actually mean then?

9 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

My posting? Ok if that’s so then did you buy alcohol at the supermarket? Deodorant?

The list goes on, check yours and others recent shopping receipts before questioning others.

Have you, or others on here, purchased ‘non essential’ items online? Most are lying if they say they haven’t 

Have your read the article Or just the headline?

he does not say he will be checking trolleys . Why would he?

Hes asking for compliance from the public on the run up to a bank holiday weekend. 

Boris has already said the shops sell what they have and the public buy it. They have not prescribed a list of items. The chief also says 

If we're stopping somebody because they've bought a barbecue set or they've bought a child's toy, you could argue that's not necessary.

5 minutes ago, AVB said:

So what does “we will start to do that” (which you conveniently deleted from your quote) actually mean then?

This bit

But again, be under no illusion, if people do not heed the warnings and the pleas I'm making today, we will start to do that."

the bit where he asks for compliance? The bit where he wants the public to pay attention to the national crisis and not carry on regardless. 

still not saying "we will check trolleys" is it? And to be fair I posted the link to the entire article. Not just the headline.

Edited by GingerCat

5 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Hes asking for compliance from the public on the run up to a bank holiday weekend. 

Boris has already said the shops sell what they have and the public buy it. They have not prescribed a list of items. The chief also says 

If we're stopping somebody because they've bought a barbecue set or they've bought a child's toy, you could argue that's not necessary.

This bit

But again, be under no illusion, if people do not heed the warnings and the pleas I'm making today, we will start to do that."

the bit where he asks for compliance? The bit where he wants the public to pay attention to the national crisis and not carry on regardless. 

still not saying "we will check trolleys" is it? And to be fair I posted the link to the entire article. Not just the headline.

GC

my Post has the quote from the poster ‘mice’ in it.

I read the article and agree with you that nowhere does he say “they will”, but it’s interpreted as ‘they could’

Im with you l, was trying to state that how can the line be drawn as to what is/isn’t essential.

Hope that clarifies 😀

26 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

This bit

He is saying if people aren’t complaint then he will start checking trolleys. 100% crystal clear in black and white. 

It’s a threat as simple as that. Perhaps he doesn’t want to, perhaps it’s impractical but you can’t deny that he said it. 

And looking at all of the tweets coming out of Northamptonshire Police force it looks like he is trying to rapidly backtrack. 

Edited by AVB
Added additional point

38 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

But what do you classify as essential/non essential?

If they stock it, then sell it as whilst you might not need ‘poster paints’? I do for my children to carry out the homework set by the school etc.

Is a new kettle/ microwave needed? Well it is if you old one has broken and it’s your only means to heat /eat 

Books/ DVD’s, tools - we all need to be occupied during this time or mental health will have a greater lasting impact than this virus will.

As far as I'm concerned you can buy whatever is there to put in your trolley, otherwise it shouldn't be for sale.

And I haven't bought anything on line, although we could do with some compost. 

5 minutes ago, Mice! said:

As far as I'm concerned you can buy whatever is there to put in your trolley, otherwise it shouldn't be for sale.

And I haven't bought anything on line, although we could do with some compost. 

Phew- so much ‘cross posting’ going on that it’s becoming difficult to know who has an opinion on what 🙂

Compost? Add it to you DIY.com order .......

37 minutes ago, clangerman said:

as a village inbred lol we trusted no one until they lived in the village for at least 20 years or 15 if you married your cousin lol 

Twenty years??? its three generations at least. But not all Cornish qualify as "inbreds" its the ones who are anti everything and everybody that's not Cornish. My mate Pete reckons his car starts running funny as soon as he goes east over the Tamar and he is not joking

Edited by Vince Green

6 minutes ago, AVB said:

He is saying if people aren’t complaint then he will start checking trolleys. 100% crystal clear in black and white. 

It’s a threat as simple as that. Perhaps he doesn’t want to, perhaps it’s impractical but you can’t deny that he said it. 

I'm not denying he said it, I posted the article for all to read. What he says has to be taken into context and that's plain to see in the article. 

He's pleading with the public for a bit of help in a national crisis. When a lot of the force is off with the virus, are having people delibratly spit on them, have hardly any ppe (gloves and hand gel, face masks arrived today) yet are expected to carry on as before, have resigned themselves to the fact that they will get Corona virus and no doubt pass it to their families. In the lead up to a bank holiday weekend the chief of a county force is asking people to not take the Mickey and yet the typical pigeon watch anti police thread continues about heavy handed police abusing their power and not knowing what they are doing.

I've had about enough if this forum. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

And this would be a great time to go and arrest people,  everyone is at home.

The MET raided the 'do as you likey' site in Abbey Wood the other night, for drugs and firearms offences.

They used Flashbangs and apparently shots were fired. No one was shot.

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/18366440.explosions-heard-police-arrest-four-dawn-raids-abbey-wood/

This certainly wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the lockdown.

4 arrested in connection to an attempted murder.

Good on the MET.

Edited by Newbie to this
Added link and corrected to attempted murder

2 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

I'm not denying he said it, I posted the article for all to read. What he says has to be taken into context and that's plain to see in the article. 

He's pleading with the public for a bit of help in a national crisis. When a lot of the force is off with the virus, are having people delibratly spit on them, have hardly any ppe (gloves and hand gel, face masks arrived today) yet are expected to carry on as before, have resigned themselves to the fact that they will get Corona virus and no doubt pass it to their families. In the lead up to a bank holiday weekend the chief of a county force is asking people to not take the Mickey and yet the typical pigeon watch anti police thread continues about heavy handed police abusing their power and not knowing what they are doing.

So is it you that should be making a list of what is the rest of us should be able to buy? Welts I agree people shouldn't be going out just because they feel like it on the other hand should I be handed a fine if I stop at a shop on the way home from work and buy my Mrs an Easter egg just to try and keep a bit of normality in life?

14 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

yet the typical pigeon watch anti police thread continues about heavy handed police abusing their power and not knowing what they are doing

Checking shopping no thanks.

Clamping down on folk out for a Jolly, hell yes please.

I don't see anything wrong with police checking people's trollies, my son was queuing up this morning at B&M to buy cat and dog food but people were coming out with all sorts.

The idea is you only venture out for essentials,  and then infrequently.

Everybody seems to have a reason why they are special and the rules don't apply to them

15 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Most on PW are supportive of the police but not idiot Chief Constables who make threats and then rapidly try to backtrack. His statement was badly constructed and he should have predicted the response it would have received. Then, rather than trying to dig himself into a hole by denying that he said it (latest tweet from Northamptonshire police) he should have simply apologised. 

1 hour ago, AVB said:

I agree but the madness of many Chief Constables worries me. 

Me too; some appear to think we’re in a police state, or they can make up laws rather than enforcing existing ones. 

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

anyone with a caravan should have  it seized and crushed just for owning one let alone the lockdown 

😂

20 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

I don't see anything wrong with police checking people's trollies, my son was queuing up this morning at B&M to buy cat and dog food but people were coming out with all sorts.

Everybody seems to have a reason why they are special and the rules don't apply to them

Oh please! This is getting ridiculous!
Everybody has to venture out for shopping, unless you’re doing it online, and if there’s something on the shelves you fancy then there is absolutely nothing to prevent you buying it, and nor should there be. 
We need to get a grip folks, we really do! 

1 minute ago, Newbie to this said:

Didn't Clarkson also say the owners should be imprisoned with hard labour :lol:

It may be a misquote.

Quite possibly. It certainly sounds like something Jezza would say. 

I remember him saying we should increase motorway speeds to a minimum of 100mph and have snipers on the bridges to pick off anyone breaking that law. :lol:

Some overzealous chief officers of police have poisoned the water with a lot of gun owners with their (contrary to HO guidance) imposed  “no GP letter no Certificate” policy! PW is a shooting forum, what do you expect? Then we get another example from the Chief officer of police for Northants dictating to  the public that if they don’t do as they’re told, the police will get heavy and start turning the screw, by checking people’s shopping trollies.....******* stupid!

1 hour ago, GingerCat said:

PW generally ain’t anti the lower rank police who enforce the law and their forces policies...........it’s anti those senior police officers that make their own force’s (sorry we shouldn't use that word anymore, it’s not PC) policy.....such as the Northants COP!

Edited by panoma1

12 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I agree... to a point, but I don't see the harm if you're out getting food shopping and stick an Easter Egg in the trolley. No-one has specified what "essential" items are and some copper or PCSO rummaging through my shopping to find something he might interpret as non-essential is way beyond their remit. It seems counter-intuitive to want social distancing then have someone sticking their hands in your shopping bag and manhandling the groceries.

If there was any substance to this proposed invasion of privacy, the the shops wouldn't be allowed to sell the items.

There's 2 extremes to the way people are handling this. Neither sits well with me. 

Edited by walshie

13 hours ago, Vince Green said:

Actually its not so much the caravan owners because the caravan parks have closed in Cornwall. Its the hated second home owners that the "Inbreds" despise with a vengeance anyway and will happily believe any tale of their deviousness without question.

hello, maybe this is why the young Cornish inbreds cannot afford to buy any property do to the wealthy buying up second homes  just to use a few weeks a year,

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, maybe this is why the young Cornish inbreds cannot afford to buy any property do to the wealthy buying up second homes  just to use a few weeks a year,

And rent them out, making money on an investment, probably less hassle than renting houses out?