Clapping for the NHS

Scully

Did you all do it? Just watched the results on the news; fabulous stuff and quite emotional.

We did it, and it was apparent that many in the village did also. OH’ s parents were out in the garden, and we could hear our neighbours about 100 yds away clapping. Great stuff. 👍

Edited by Scully

Can’t edit post for some reason? But anyhow, watching it just brings home to you how hard this thing is for some people. We have it very easy compared to some who are living in multi storey flats, who don’t have gardens and are cooped up like chickens with nowhere to go. 

1 minute ago, washerboy said:

Sorry I found it pointless unless an NHS member of staff could hear it. 

My Mrs stood on the doorstep and clapped, only one to hear her was me. 

She felt better doing it so no harm done 

I thought the same initially, but it’s also about the unity thing of us all being in the same boat.
It occurred to me later that there is a MacMillan nurse in the village and a couple of carers. 

I work in hospital discharge but found it a bit cringe to be honest. 

It’s only a real gesture of support for the NHS if people follow through with the thought. 

Standing at your door and clapping for 2 minutes so you can go inside and feel good about yourself isn’t going to get us out of this mess. 

Joining the NHS volunteer force is going to help. 

Volunteering with your local council to deliver food and medical supplies to the vulnerable and isolated is going to help. 

Staying home and avoiding spreading the virus round is going to help. 

2 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I work in hospital discharge but found it a bit cringe to be honest. 

It’s only a real gesture of support for the NHS if people follow through with the thought. 

Standing at your door and clapping for 2 minutes so you can go inside and feel good about yourself isn’t going to get us out of this mess. 

Joining the NHS volunteer force is going to help. 

Volunteering with your local council to deliver food and medical supplies to the vulnerable and isolated is going to help. 

Staying home and avoiding spreading the virus round is going to help. 

I don’t work in the NHS but interesting you say that and I also find it the same. Easy for people to clap for a couple of minutes and then forget about it. 

I worry about the volunteer force though. These are people who could be carriers or not yet have had the virus and isn’t there a risk that they will expose the vulnerable, or themselves? If it works then great but has it just been rushed out in order to make people feel like they can do something. 

3 minutes ago, AVB said:

I don’t work in the NHS but interesting you say that and I also find it the same. Easy for people to clap for a couple of minutes and then forget about it. 

I worry about the volunteer force though. These are people who could be carriers or not yet have had the virus and isn’t there a risk that they will expose the vulnerable, or themselves? If it works then great but has it just been rushed out in order to make people feel like they can do something. 

It’s been rushed out but better than people starving in their homes, or going out because they can’t get anything and then deffo catching it. 

36 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

It’s been rushed out but better than people starving in their homes, or going out because they can’t get anything and then deffo catching it. 

Yes I get that but I believe the volunteers were also going to be used to transport patients and NHS staff. If it works safely the great. 

Applause? That fills how many food baskets? Pays how much to a nurse's rent and rates? Or their mortgage?

A spontaneous Italian action hijacked by Johnson. Who yesterday was stood on the Downing Street steps within inches of Chancellor Sunak. What does the advice from that very NHS say? I was married to a nurse. She hated these "stunts". She said "Don't give us plaudits. Give us a proper salary." So I won't be doing it same, just as she also advised, as I don't give to charity "chuggers" collecting for special care baby units, cancer wards, air ambulances and etc. I give a "No thanks. Because I don't think our National Health Service should be funded by charity collections. Do you?"

If people want to make a difference, and you run a business, now or when things recover, give a discount to health workers.

Edited by enfieldspares

13 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Applause? That fills how many food baskets? Pays how much to a nurse's rent and rates? Or their mortgage?

A spontaneous Italian action hijacked by Johnson. Who yesterday was stood on the Downing Street steps within inches of Chancellor Sunak. What does the advice from that very NHS say? I was married to a nurse. She hated these "stunts". She said "Don't give us plaudits. Give us a proper salary." So I won't be doing it same, just as she also advised, as I don't give to charity "chuggers" collecting for special care baby units, cancer wards, air ambulances and etc. I give a "No thanks. Because I don't think our National Health Service should be funded by charity collections. Do you?"

If people want to make a difference, and you run a business, now or when things recover, give a discount to health workers.

I agree with the sentiments entirely, and have always advocated better pay and conditions for our NHS nurses and doctors, and have said numerous times to my OH that I hope the politicians don’t forget what they’re doing and have done, when all is back to normal. 
It’s just a Thankyou, that’s all, which we’d still be doing regardless of how much they are paid.