old man

2 hours ago, B725 said:

There was a bloke from the Daily Mirror and a Labour MP trying to justify his journey, one rule for them and another for us. 

I saw that, quite sickening really, just shows the low esteem the general population is held in?

Really embarrassing too, trying to say that the Kinnock and cohorts could have justifiable reasons to ignore the advice, neither of the lefties had the sense to not have an opinion.

Piers has his uses over the virus situation, tells it as it should be. Follow the rules for all our sakes!

49 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Everyone else would have just made a phone call or face time in these troubled times.

Why would he put his parents at risk by visiting. 🙄

I've just seen it on the tv, he sat away from them, but still made a pointless journey,  saying he had to deliver essential supplies??

They also showed a footballer who had done a stay at home video, who crashed his car coming back from a party!!! Now that guy is a clown

https://www.irishpost.com/news/piers-morgan-slams-shameful-jack-grealish-crashed-range-rover-parked-cars-party-182470

The footballer is a tool, slam dunk black and white case of stupidity.  However I'm kind of straddling the fence on the Kinnock story.  Yes, he's "broken the rules".  Plenty said against him above, but to offer a bit of balance...

Out of interest how many of the disapproving comments are from people who still have parents alive?

Our parents are the rock we cling to from birth, and it doesn't matter if we are newborn and they are 30, or if we are 60 and they are 90.  They're still our parents and there's a primal bond between us that transcends anything else at times.  Maybe those who are now the oldest generation left in their family have had the time to forget that. Maybe that was the last chance Kinnock thought he had to see his Father?

Just imagine if he didn't visit and his Dad dies before he ever sees him again.  That's enough to break anyone.    In my particular situation that's the thing I'm dreading the most.  You can see how the primal instinct we all possess can make us ignore rules imposed upon us - especially if we feel we are intelligent enough to understand why the rules exist, and our common sense can guide us in our actions.  In the months to come I feel there will be a lot more resentment of the manner in which our civil liberties have swiftly been stripped away from us.

I've never been terribly political, and Kinnock was around in politics when I was a kid - I neither care nor don't care for him but he's still human.

My parents are in their 70s, in isolation and only a 10 minute drive away.  I've been round there twice since BJ's message to the nation last Monday - both times to drop off shopping which I've taken home first, unpacked, sprayed with anti-viral sanitiser and re-packed into sanitised carrier bags, delivered with clean hands copiously doused in sanitising gel and dropped outside the door for them to take in - on strict instruction to throw the bags in the bin and wash their hands afterwards!  Probably complete overkill, especially as covid19 isn't really in our neck of the woods at all yet.  But as I say to my Dad I need someone to teach my son how to fish and Grandad is a much better fisherman, and teacher, than Daddy will ever be.

I don't know what Kinnock's exact actions were during his visit but I'm pretty sure he is intelligent and diligent enough not to be reckless in his actions.  His crimes appear to be a person known to the general public and getting caught.  10 minutes or 2 hours away, your parents are at the other end of a car journey, it makes no difference.

Kinnock's family visit is a pretty far cry from things like the absolute dimwits filming themselves licking the poles and hand rails in public places like tube trains and shopping centres.  He didn't take his entire family down to the park and have a BBQ, followed by a game of twister, capped off with a ceremonial passing of the drinking horn around everyone present.  We need to keep things in perspective, apply common sense and above all be careful not to start burning witches at the stake.

If only there could be a law passed that simply states "Don't be a d!*k" it would be much easier to enforce.

This whole torturous episode is just like a massive social psychology experiment and there are some people who may look back on the things they've said with utter shame and disbelief.

Not as big a rant as last night, you'll all be glad 😆

Edited by Jim Neal

8 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

The footballer is a tool, slam dunk black and white case of stupidity.  However I'm kind of straddling the fence on the Kinnock story.  Yes, he's "broken the rules".  Plenty said against him above, but to offer a bit of balance...

Out of interest how many of the disapproving comments are from people who still have parents alive?

Our parents are the rock we cling to from birth, and it doesn't matter if we are newborn and they are 30, or if we are 60 and they are 90.  They're still our parents and there's a primal bond between us that transcends anything else at times.  Maybe those who are now the oldest generation left in their family have had the time to forget that. Maybe that was the last chance Kinnock thought he had to see his Father?

Just imagine if he didn't visit and his Dad dies before he ever sees him again.  That's enough to break anyone.    In my particular situation that's the thing I'm dreading the most.  You can see how the primal instinct we all possess can make us ignore rules imposed upon us - especially if we feel we are intelligent enough to understand why the rules exist, and our common sense can guide us in our actions.  In the months to come I feel there will be a lot more resentment of the manner in which our civil liberties have swiftly been stripped away from us.

I've never been terribly political, and Kinnock was around in politics when I was a kid - I neither care nor don't care for him but he's still human.

My parents are in their 70s, in isolation and only a 10 minute drive away.  I've been round there twice since BJ's message to the nation last Monday - both times to drop off shopping which I've taken home first, unpacked, sprayed with anti-viral sanitiser and re-packed into sanitised carrier bags, delivered with clean hands copiously doused in sanitising gel and dropped outside the door for them to take in - on strict instruction to throw the bags in the bin and wash their hands afterwards!  Probably complete overkill, especially as covid19 isn't really in our neck of the woods at all yet.  But as I say to my Dad I need someone to teach my son how to fish and Grandad is a much better fisherman, and teacher, than Daddy will ever be.

I don't know what Kinnock's exact actions were during his visit but I'm pretty sure he is intelligent and diligent enough not to be reckless in his actions.  His crimes appear to be a person known to the general public and getting caught.  10 minutes or 2 hours away, your parents are at the other end of a car journey, it makes no difference.

Kinnock's family visit is a pretty far cry from things like the absolute dimwits filming themselves licking the poles and hand rails in public places like tube trains and shopping centres.  He didn't take his entire family down to the park and have a BBQ, followed by a game of twister, capped off with a ceremonial passing of the drinking horn around everyone present.  We need to keep things in perspective, apply common sense and above all be careful not to start burning witches at the stake.

If only there could be a law passed that simply states "Don't be a d!*k" it would be much easier to enforce.

This whole torturous episode is just like a massive social psychology experiment and there are some people who may look back on the things they've said with utter shame and disbelief.

Not as big a rant as last night, you'll all be glad 😆

Can't agree Jim, sorry. Experiment or not we are in it?

I am personally trying to stay alive for me, family and very elderly sick MIL. Just doing the best I can for us all. 

As far as it goes, Kinnock and Grealish are way over my line. 

Sentiment may not help survival maybe?

I detest the Kinnock’s. However, in this case I can’t see what he did wrong. In his opinion his visit was critical. His decision, nobody else's. He maintained social distancing. 

The problem is that too many people have an opinion on what is critical. “You went out and only bought one pint of milk - that’s not essential”. 

My uncle is 90, has dementia and is cooped up in a nursing home. The only thing keeping him alive is seeing his daughters who travel every day to stand outside his window and wave to him. Is that essential? They feel it is. 

Essential is subjective.