Update from BASC / DEFRA

52 minutes ago, Mentalmac said:

I was talking to the head FEO of Essex Police - the FEO made it clear that ‘protecting grass so idiots can bat balls around it later’ isn’t essential. 

I have a shooting friend who works as a groundsman at a golf course.

That is exactly his view on golfers as well!

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

just had one of my farmers phone up, lots of pigeons on new drilled corn can i come out, i said no we must stay in buy the police and BASC, he said ok fine, will put a gas banger out.

They've literally just finished drilling one of the fields next door, my local dept are only open 10-12 so im going to give them a call tomorrow, if they say no, so be it. 

21 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

just had one of my farmers phone up, lots of pigeons on new drilled corn can i come out, i said no we must stay in buy the police and BASC, he said ok fine, will put a gas banger out.

Tell him to save his gas for when they are doing some damage.

10 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

😂 to be fair I'm looking out the kitchen window as I type and there are blacks on it already.

Blacks or pigeons, out of the two it’s blacks I would be keeping my eye on.

3 minutes ago, motty said:

I think they could well be doing damage on drilled fields. 

think being the key word.

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

If you say so; I was merely making an observation. They’ll still be feeding somewhere won’t they?  

motty was referring to a drilled field in his post that you replied to.

Yep, they could well be hitting some growing crops somewhere in the country.

15 minutes ago, Scully said:

Ah, I see. My mistake, sorry. 

No mate, no need for sorry, I am just saying I have never seen a drilled field fail due to pigeons, blacks on the other hand can be a real problem and especially as it starts to shoot, around here maize seems to-be one of their favourites seeds to pull up as it comes through.

With this spell of warm weather , kids off school , work places shut down and dog owners still allowed to get out and exercise this have led to more people than normal using the countryside , if you had been out you would have noticed many more people using foot paths and a few are straying well off the foot paths .

In these calm conditions the sound of a shot is quite loud and members of the public is drawn to gun fire , when you are set back in a hedge with a magnet going , a pecker , decoys set up with a couple of floaters added for good measure you will attract the odd member of public who have took the wrong turn at the style , this is where a problem begin , we know they should not be there but they are and if you are out you will need to be extra careful , not everyone of the general public is over keen on shooting and could easily think that when your using battery operated machines with dead pigeons on that you are using dead birds and another phone call to the police and how things are now, the less contact with the police at the better . 

21 minutes ago, marsh man said:

With this spell of warm weather , kids off school , work places shut down and dog owners still allowed to get out and exercise this have led to more people than normal using the countryside , if you had been out you would have noticed many more people using foot paths and a few are straying well off the foot paths .

In these calm conditions the sound of a shot is quite loud and members of the public is drawn to gun fire , when you are set back in a hedge with a magnet going , a pecker , decoys set up with a couple of floaters added for good measure you will attract the odd member of public who have took the wrong turn at the style , this is where a problem begin , we know they should not be there but they are and if you are out you will need to be extra careful , not everyone of the general public is over keen on shooting and could easily think that when your using battery operated machines with dead pigeons on that you are using dead birds and another phone call to the police and how things are now, the less contact with the police at the better . 

Think part of what you say is true but the weekend shooter as always had the problem of walkers during the summer months, couple of years ago a farmer I know had the police turn-up in the yard with complaints of someone shooting on a field of laid corn, he told them there was no one shooting but there is a gas gun, don’t think the public would know the difference between the sound of a gas gun and a shotgun.

45 minutes ago, old'un said:

motty was referring to a drilled field in his post that you replied to.

Yep, they could well be hitting some growing crops somewhere in the country.

The reason I say this, is because I shot a very healthy bag of pigeons last Saturday, on some drilled wheat. There were thousands of pigeons around. Walking the field, I could barely find any seed, but it was there, just under the surface in some places. Several pigeons were shot with full crops. I reckon they DO scratch below the surface of the soil, in which case, I did the farmer a big favour.

Also, there are peas going in at any time, and with that amount of pigeons around, they will get seriously hit!

49 minutes ago, old'un said:

No mate, no need for sorry, I am just saying I have never seen a drilled field fail due to pigeons, blacks on the other hand can be a real problem and especially as it starts to shoot, around here maize seems to-be one of their favourites seeds to pull up as it comes through.

👍

25 minutes ago, motty said:

The reason I say this, is because I shot a very healthy bag of pigeons last Saturday, on some drilled wheat. There were thousands of pigeons around. Walking the field, I could barely find any seed, but it was there, just under the surface in some places. Several pigeons were shot with full crops. I reckon they DO scratch below the surface of the soil, in which case, I did the farmer a big favour.

Also, there are peas going in at any time, and with that amount of pigeons around, they will get seriously hit!

As a general rule most corn sown at this time of year on a well drilled seed bed will NOT suffer any great loss from pigeons, they may scratch the surface lightly but if the field is well sown the seeds should be at least half an inch below the surface, if its direct drilled then there is no way any pigeon will get to that seed, on the other hand a broadcast field with light harrowing may suffer some lose of seed to pigeons, but like I said, I have never seen a sown field fail or partly fail due to pigeons.

Blacks on the other hand a completely different story.

On 31/03/2020 at 13:41, David BASC said:

I do not appreciate being called naïve when all I am doing to trying to help, as always when I do my best it soon descends  into people taking pot shots at me / BASC simply because I am giving you the answers but its simply not the answer you want!

We can do not more than keep lobbying on your behalf, and if that's not good enough, well what can I say.

I will leave it there and simply reiterate that updates will be on the BASC web site

To be honest David i think you must have the patience of a saint to keep posting on this forum when all surely must have seen the government guidelines for themselves .It is very simple to understand  not ambiguous at all we have a global pandemic that the government is trying very hard to manage as best  it can the measures taken have i think helped so far.

Why these clowns need BASC to get involved is beyond me they must be completely thick without a braincell between them ,this is about more that shooting surely ?What do they all expect Basc to say ...."yes fine carry on as normal and if you need an emergency service etc just tell them Basc said it was fine to carry on its not our fault we didnt know .When i see what the NHS is doing every day and then read the absolute garbage being written on here it makes me sick to the stomach !