Update from BASC / DEFRA

• Replies 700
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

They've literally just finished drilling one of the fields next door, my local dept are only open 10-12 so im going to give them a call tomorrow, if they say no, so be it. 

Be interesting to see how you get on FB as you same area/county as me. Worth asking your farmers to ring to. If he is asking you to shoot!?  I did! You may get answer phone, we did. Rural crime officer got back to us and gave permission. Said shooting pests and vermin for crop protection would be classed as essential. Shooting game is not! Use common sense! May check on you. . . . . Two farmers have asked me to shoot. I went only to there farms/fields being hit assessed situation safety wise and Shot! If farmers ask i will go! Simple!  . . I ran this by my family and friends who work NHS front line. All said get in them fields and shoot! Two were amazed it would even be a problem. Said look after the farmers as they gona be feeding us all! That says it all really! . . . . .  And as for supermarkets buying beef in from Poland at this time and farmers having to pour milk away! WRONG! Support ya farmers folks! My NHS friends will be clapping for them Thursday!

If farmer asks for help and you not happy with it or think crops don't need protection at seed time. Tell him so!  It's your risk!

It's easy for me as i am single! No contact with anyone! . . . .  If farmers don't ask i'll not go at this time. Simple! . . .Has anyone asked Norfolk police how they stand?

Only grief i have had is off other shooters. As i expected!  As got grief  last year for shooting when the GL fiasco was being sorted!      NB

15 minutes ago, Mentalmac said:

Totally Dave - the head FEO was quick to say ‘it’s not a licensing issue’ - it only becomes ‘his problem’ If we get in Trouble with the law
I went out tonight and shot 3 rabbits in 15 mins and walked the edges of the donkey and horse land I keep rabbits low on... even still, I got a URN. 
I also poo-picked the donkey paddock, dropped some local fresh eggs to the old chap of 90 who lives near the land (anti bact the box first!) and left some fresh eggs in the stables for the horse owner for when she turns up tomorrow at 5am. 
All good if it’s essential pest control.  

That's good to know. 

I have just emailed our FLO asking if they have published an advisory:

Hi, Is there a published advisory about what your dep't consider to be essential pest control that might avoid several unique enquiries at this most important time of the year for pest control? My own circumstance that I have been putting off is I have three adjoining pest control permissions within 1 mile by foot or two miles by road to a vehicle entrance.

This is at xxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxx: rabbit and corvid, a paddock to the south of it for rabbit to protect horse hoofs breaking through turf. and spring drillings to the north of it - rabbit, corvid and fox going to a lambing field further away. Calibres would be 17HMR and 17 REM. I understand an advisory call to 101 would be a requirement and I would be conducting this alone, preferably being mostly in a 4WD. I have deliberately abstained until it has become urgent. Thanking you in advance,
xxxxxx xxxxxxx

31 minutes ago, NatureBoy said:

Be interesting to see how you get on FB as you same area/county as me. Worth asking your farmers to ring to. If he is asking you to shoot!?  I did! You may get answer phone, we did. Rural crime officer got back to us and gave permission. Said shooting pests and vermin for crop protection would be classed as essential. Shooting game is not! Use common sense! May check on you. . . . . Two farmers have asked me to shoot. I went only to there farms/fields being hit assessed situation safety wise and Shot! If farmers ask i will go! Simple!  . . I ran this by my family and friends who work NHS front line. All said get in them fields and shoot! Two were amazed it would even be a problem. Said look after the farmers as they gona be feeding us all! That says it all really! . . . . .  And as for supermarkets buying beef in from Poland at this time and farmers having to pour milk away! WRONG! Support ya farmers folks! My NHS friends will be clapping for them Thursday!

If farmer asks for help and you not happy with it or think crops don't need protection at seed time. Tell him so!  It's your risk!

It's easy for me as i am single! No contact with anyone! . . . .  If farmers don't ask i'll not go at this time. Simple! . . .Has anyone asked Norfolk police how they stand?

Only grief i have had is off other shooters. As i expected!  As got grief  last year for shooting when the GL fiasco was being sorted!      NB

I'll let you know what's said if I get through.

I'm not worried about picking up or spreading anything as such as to access the perm I literally have to walk out the back door, across my garden and through the gap in the hedge. No gates. No styles. Zip. He's having a big rabbit problem at the moment too. For what it would be worth to them I always fill my game diary in, even to the extent of our phone call earlier, what's going in on that field and what I could see from the window. 

We'll see anyway 👍

9 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

I wouldnt call shooting 3 rabbits essential 🤔

I started seeing lots of people walking the path near the bottom field looking up when I took a shot so I called it a day before any issues. However again, I was out for an hour - took the car exactly 1.5 miles only. 

besides, it’s essential enough for our FEO so happy enough with that 😂

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

What issues if your FEO said it was OK ? Guilty feelings 🤔

Lol no, just couldn’t be bothered with the agro, I’d enjoyed my hour out, shot a few bunnies, went and had a lovely dinner cooked by the other half and ate in the garden. Also blessed to have nothing each side of the house and infinite walking pathways from the door so really not bothered - hardly see any humans. 
I’m also a key worker, and have spent a lot of personal money on donating masks and face shields to the NHS and care sector having brought in containers of them. 

so quite happy to be judged on a pigeon watching website by someone who obviously needs to get out and get some fresh air 😂

Dont know how you lot have time to shot anything at the moment. Green house to clean and get going, same with potting shed. Porch roof to clean too. Compost heaps full of stuff to spread about garden, seeds to plant, house to tidy, garage to sort, kids to entertain, beer to drink. I'm flat out and currently go to work for a break. 

45 minutes ago, Mentalmac said:

so quite happy to be judged on a pigeon watching website by someone who obviously needs to get out and get some fresh air 😂

Shooting 3 rabbits in a donkey field is not essential 🤯 I am getting my fresh air at the minute on my daily dog walk , haven't been shooting as not essential. Believe me  I would love to be out at the minute as have plenty roe bucks to cull but it's not essential . If I get a phone call of a fox killing lambs that is classed as essential and will act accordingly depending on the current circumstances. Well done on supporting the NHS as this is what is important 👍

9 minutes ago, Farmboy91 said:

@NatureBoy I got that same non committal response. ' were not giving out advice it's up to you to use your judgement on what's essential' would have been nice to have a response like Essex gave. 

Hope the blacks lay off it for a while lol.

In my own personal view that is the correct response.

I can't see how the matter has anything whatsoever to do with firearms licensing and certainly nothing to do with a FEO or the licensing manager for that matter. It is not their job to decide which crops or livestock and indeed when they need protecting. That is for  pest controllers to determine themselves, as long as they can justify their actions were crucial and they were taking movement and social distancing into account if challenged then they have broken no law.

As I said elsewhere, I have stopped people shooting here on the farm and put the bangers out because I strongly believe social distancing is the way to go, and quite frankly, do not consider a few bushels of barley or the odd lamb is worth a human life.

I realise sitting in a field miles away for anyone is as safe as one could get, but personally I think it's wrong for shooters to be seen traveling to farms to enjoy their hobby.

That said, I lost some lambs to a fox the other night so had a walk round with the rifle for a couple of nights .........never did see it.

This. I can’t understand why folk are seeking the ‘permission’ of the police to go shooting. Just as always,  each individual has to justify to themselves the relevance of what they are doing. If you can do this then you should be able to justify it to others if the need arises. 

8 minutes ago, CharlieT said:

As I said elsewhere, I have stopped people shooting here on the farm and put the bangers out because I strongly believe social distancing is the way to go, and quite frankly, do not consider a few bushels of barley or the odd lamb is worth a human life.

The voice of reason 👍

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

This. I can’t understand why folk are seeking the ‘permission’ of the police to go shooting. Just as always,  each individual has to justify to themselves the relevance of what they are doing. If you can do this then you should be able to justify it to others if the need arises. 

good point why do people seemed scared the police won’t arrest you they don’t bite some even shoot 

As I said in my other post, and also said to the firearms dept, I'm not travelling anywhere. I called them because other forces seem to be giving out sensible advice, or, a urn so I don't get the police turning up unnecessarily. I, like the farmer am quite capable of using my common sense and sorting what needs doing. As we all know the same can't be said for other people. 

Edit to add, I was simply trying to save myself and possibly the police any future bother should they be called because 'someone's out shooting in the lockdown'. 

Edited by Farmboy91

14 hours ago, Dave-G said:

That's good to know. 

I have just emailed our FLO asking if they have published an advisory:

Hi, Is there a published advisory about what your dep't consider to be essential pest control that might avoid several unique enquiries at this most important time of the year for pest control? My own circumstance that I have been putting off is I have three adjoining pest control permissions within 1 mile by foot or two miles by road to a vehicle entrance.

This is at xxxxxxxxxxx  xxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxxx: rabbit and corvid, a paddock to the south of it for rabbit to protect horse hoofs breaking through turf. and spring drillings to the north of it - rabbit, corvid and fox going to a lambing field further away. Calibres would be 17HMR and 17 REM. I understand an advisory call to 101 would be a requirement and I would be conducting this alone, preferably being mostly in a 4WD. I have deliberately abstained until it has become urgent. Thanking you in advance,
xxxxxx xxxxxxx

Got my reply today:

Hello xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx

At this moment in time there is no published advisory reference shooting and pest control. The Leicestershire Firearms Licencing are following the government guidelines.

xxx xxxxxxx the firearms licencing manager is giving the above advice to all telephone and email enquiry's until we are informed by the chief officer of police or the government of any changes.

Stay at home, save lives.

Regards

xxxxxx xxxxxxxxly 

Seems their stance on whether to revoke or not has to flow down from higher pay grades too. 

This is what I expect BASC to be addressing for its members - making representations to  those high ranking personal who can make a decision as to if we are risking our licence if someone calls in about us doing fairly local pest control alone and at social distancing many many times greater than staying home.

Long story short I'm still not confident I'd keep my ticket if a called out bobby or his boss who doesn't personally approve my being there takes the issue further.

Edited by Dave-G

8 minutes ago, clangerman said:

don’t be fobbed of top of the trough fire one of to the chief constable no joy with him police commissioners office 

I pay BASC to be doing that sort of thing - in a more professional manner with a bigger collective voice than a lone shooter with poor word power could hope to achieve.

Edited by Dave-G

Just now, Dave-G said:

I pay BASC to be doing that sort of thing - in a more professional manner than a lone shooter could hope to achieve.

basc did try but they have to be polite about it dealing with certain organisations you have to make them aware you won’t be pushed around or fobbed of 

15 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

I wouldnt call shooting 3 rabbits essential 🤔

You are making assumptions, I feel.

Maybe the intention was to shoot more. Does it really matter? I am out shooting as I type this. I phoned 101 etc. No questions were asked about how "essential" it is. 

15 hours ago, NatureBoy said:

Phoned them today. Logged my location etc. No problem!

3 hours ago, FOXHUNTER1 said:

Shooting 3 rabbits in a donkey field is not essential 🤯 I am getting my fresh air at the minute on my daily dog walk , haven't been shooting as not essential. Believe me  I would love to be out at the minute as have plenty roe bucks to cull but it's not essential . If I get a phone call of a fox killing lambs that is classed as essential and will act accordingly depending on the current circumstances. Well done on supporting the NHS as this is what is important 👍

I don't class walking the dog as essential, but there we are.

7 minutes ago, motty said:

You are making assumptions, I feel.

Maybe the intention was to shoot more. Does it really matter? I am out shooting as I type this. I phoned 101 etc. No questions were asked about how "essential" it is. 

Phoned them today. Logged my location etc. No problem!

Slow on the pigeons then?

6 minutes ago, motty said:

Plenty about, but birds going elsewhere. Not surprising, I suppose, considering they have been hit hard over the last week or so.

Post up some of your recent outings then Motty. I need a good read.