Why so many planes flying over the UK?

fern01

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, AVB said:

farmer who I shoot for (I only have one) has said he will prioritise shooting in the future for those who have helped him out during this period. 

That's called blackmail 

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I will be contacting Leicestershire Police and Stafforshire Police  and Warwickshire Police by e mail for clarification.  I need it from the horses mouth in print before I will go out.

I'll bet you get three different answers. 

2 hours ago, AVB said:

You lost all credibility by quoting Piers Morgan and that you watch Good Morning. 

Everything has it's uses, he was fantastic today pointing out the flaws in policy, equipment and actions. Not one had or gave a truthful reply.

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

That's called blackmail 

He can use whatever method he wants to decide who to allow to perform pest control for him. I suppose he sees it as choosing people who are reliable and not fair weather shooters. I am not saying that people who decide not to perform pest control duties in the current climate are ‘fair weather’ but perhaps that’s how he sees it. 

Edited by AVB

I am certainly not 'fair weather'. In normal life without this virus problem a day very rarely goes by that I do not have a rifle or shotgun in my hand controlling vermin of one kind or another for farmers.   At the moment I am very reluctant to even leave home but the one field being hit at the moment is almost within walking distance of my home. I can drive there and shoot without endangering anyone else or myself from the virus.  We will see what response I get from Leicestershire as that is my licensing force. I can then, if positive , use that reply to approach the other two forces within which I shoot on a regular basis, then see what replay I get from them if any and then approach Derbyshire.

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

You can go on Heathrow Flight arrivals and check if you don't believe me. Cargo flights don't land at passenger terminals. I can't imagine who is on them, last thing I would want to do is spend eight hours on a plane from New York

I don't like Piers Morgan but he is by far the best at interviewing the politicians at the moment because he doesn't let them off the hook. The BBC ones just say thank you for that and let it go

Eight hours on a Plane from New York, not been have you or if you did that was one hell of a scenic tour.....

6 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Eight hours on a Plane from New York, not been have you or if you did that was one hell of a scenic tour.....

I used to live/work  in New York State,  Been back and forwards many times. From the time you actually  board till the time you get off its not far short of eight hours. Mind you its always quicker coming this way.

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, fern01 said:

Now I read that up to five plane loads of East Europeans are been flown into Stanstead to work on farms yet I cant take my dog for a walk where I want to without fear of a fine or arrest.

hello, yes all are from Romania, seems not enough people applied to work on the UK farms, not even going into self isolation just a quick temperature check, and straight to the farm/s were they have been deployed

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Its safe for a group of imported people to be doing a job in a field but its not safe for someone to be doing an important job for another farmer, isolated in a deserted field, if he has a gun.

I honestly cannot see how politicians and police chiefs see the logic in that. :oops:

10 hours ago, fern01 said:

.... I cant take my dog for a walk where I want to without fear of a fine or arrest.

Bit of a difference between not being able to take your dog for a walk where you want to and food rotting in the field!

9 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, yes all are from Romania, seems not enough people applied to work on the UK farms, not even going into self isolation just a quick temperature check, and straight to the farm/s were they have been deployed

Fully screened, and isolated into small groups according to the news.

9 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Its safe for a group of imported people to be doing a job in a field but its not safe for someone to be doing an important job for another farmer, isolated in a deserted field, if he has a gun.

I honestly cannot see how politicians and police chiefs see the logic in that. 

Again there is a difference between a harvest rotting away and small amounts of crops being eaten by woodpigeons, never mind the economic impact.

1 minute ago, henry d said:

Bit of a difference between not being able to take your dog for a walk where you want to and food rotting in the field!

Fully screened, and isolated into small groups according to the news.

Again there is a difference between a harvest rotting away and small amounts of crops being eaten by woodpigeons, never mind the economic impact.

hello, oh well i dont believe that will happen henry, maybe at first for some publicity , then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it will be a picking scrum, i posted on another thread watching a field with 50/100 pickers, i do ask my self why the UK cannot be more efficient when it comes to employing seasonal farm workers,

If, and there are ifs, they are clear of the virus via our tests in the UK, they are isolated on farms, are conscious that they should not be meeting others, then they are safe and so are we. What is more they are helping our supply chain just like the truckers etc.

Why do our own British working age people not want to work in the fields? Surely that is obvious, too hard and doesn't pay enough? I remember 25 years ago seeing the berry buses parked in the council estates full of families and heading off to the farms, then the DHSS started to do checks on the farms and the work dried up, the farmers advertised for workers from Europe and got hard working people cheaply. Can we go back to that? Not unless people change their minds on what work means to them and are poor enough or desperate enough to do this essential work

2 minutes ago, henry d said:

If, and there are ifs, they are clear of the virus via our tests in the UK, they are isolated on farms, are conscious that they should not be meeting others, then they are safe and so are we. What is more they are helping our supply chain just like the truckers etc.

Why do our own British working age people not want to work in the fields? Surely that is obvious, too hard and doesn't pay enough? I remember 25 years ago seeing the berry buses parked in the council estates full of families and heading off to the farms, then the DHSS started to do checks on the farms and the work dried up, the farmers advertised for workers from Europe and got hard working people cheaply. Can we go back to that? Not unless people change their minds on what work means to them and are poor enough or desperate enough to do this essential work

Yep, sad but true!

2 minutes ago, henry d said:

hello, maybe the pickers from Romania are desperate to, have you ever been to the country ?

25 minutes ago, henry d said:

If, and there are ifs, they are clear of the virus via our tests in the UK, they are isolated on farms, are conscious that they should not be meeting others

The thing is they need to shop for food?

22 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, maybe the pickers from Romania are desperate to, have you ever been to the country ?

Always used to get fruit pickers coming to Arbroath,  earning more picking fruit than their normal job at home.

28 minutes ago, henry d said:

Can we go back to that? Not unless people change their minds on what work means to them and are poor enough or desperate enough to do this essential work

People are happy in some cases to sit at home and have things paid for,  no chance will they go and pick fruit working all day.

On a funny note, my little lad asked for something last week, possibly a biscuit, I said you can have one once you have spotted a plane. He soon twigged there weren't any around,  and it was hours later when we spotted one, just one all day.

:hmm::hmm::hmm: How come, if you try to apply to the scheme to get Brits to do this work, all vacancies are filled for April, yet we are still flying workers in :hmm::hmm::hmm:

http://hopslaboursolutions.com/seasonal-work/

https://www.concordiavolunteers.org.uk/feed-the-nation

Edit - inadvertently I answered my own question I think. The workers being flown in were always coming! Even though we are in a pandemic!!!

Edited by Newbie to this

2 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

:hmm::hmm::hmm: How come, if you try to apply to the scheme to get Brits to do this work, all vacancies are filled for April, yet we are still flying workers in

Because we are half way through April and need more people in May, even more in June... you see whee this is going?

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Always used to get fruit pickers coming to Arbroath,  earning more picking fruit than their normal job at home.

Yeah spoke to one at a fire near Smokeyville, he was a doctor back home...