flattening the curve

peck

A scenario could be the new Nightingale hospitals will be equipped with all the kit needed including new ventilators to manage and focus on COVID19 only and the mainstream hospitals get back to the new "normal" for everything else that people need.  It is clear the NHS will need to change so much now and less throughput because of all the new risks requiring PPE for everything.  

Do the Dyson ventilators have approval?  Dyson will not be out of pocket and I am sure he has his eye on more farms to buy.

If we can make more ventilators than we need - great - sell them to help our balance of payments and manufacturing industry not to mention helping people in other countries.  

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The country and its wonderful NHS have enough capacity because the curve has been flattened.

Yes and there will be lots of other firms that have done their bit too.

Do you not get it? The curve may have been flattened and we may have enough vents and ppe for now but there is a disaster waiting to happen. We need all the ventilators and ppe we can get our hands on, Its not just about flattening the curve its about keeping cases as low as possible so that the NHS can cope with numbers. According to government advisers there are approx 50 million people who could become infected  We may be able to cope with those numbers now but "when not if" we get another spike we may not be so lucky. Its what all the fuss has been about, us not being prepared well if we are not stockpiling vents and ppe now its going to be the same scenario in a week or two when we get another rise in the curve.   

59 minutes ago, peck said:

Do you not get it? The curve may have been flattened and we may have enough vents and ppe for now but there is a disaster waiting to happen. We need all the ventilators and ppe we can get our hands on, Its not just about flattening the curve its about keeping cases as low as possible so that the NHS can cope with numbers. According to government advisers there are approx 50 million people who could become infected  We may be able to cope with those numbers now but "when not if" we get another spike we may not be so lucky. Its what all the fuss has been about, us not being prepared well if we are not stockpiling vents and ppe now its going to be the same scenario in a week or two when we get another rise in the curve.   

So how many ventilators are you suggesting we get. One million, 10 million, 50 million? 

1 hour ago, peck said:

hello, i agree with you there, Dyson put in 20 million for R and D and his team worked around the clock to make their ventilators now sat in a warehouse, no mention of being paid for them? then you have the PPE coming from China with no Labels ? , if we do get another rise as you mention we will need every type of equipment,  

11 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i agree with you there, Dyson put in 20 million for R and D and his team worked around the clock to make their ventilators now sat in a warehouse, no mention of being paid for them? then you have the PPE coming from China with no Labels ? , if we do get another rise as you mention we will need every type of equipment,  

But where do you draw the line. We haven't made use of the additional ventilators so do we keep making them. As someone already said how many 10 million or 50 million. If we spend hundreds of millions on equipment we don't use how long before people start kicking off about government wasting money 

Just now, toontastic said:

But where do you draw the line. We haven't made use of the additional ventilators so do we keep making them. As someone already said how many 10 million or 50 million. If we spend hundreds of millions on equipment we don't use how long before people start kicking off about government wasting money 

hello, at this point in time i do not think its wasting government money or tax payers buying for the NHS, i think the sums were wrong on quantity required and now difficult to purchase, but a wonderful effort with uk citizens making masks/ head shields/gowns/ wash bags to up the short fall,

1 minute ago, udderlyoffroad said:

They haven't got regulatory approval and are unlikely to get it.  They're less than useless.

hello, if your right it is a shame with all the work gone in to making those under the Dyson flagship

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i wonder why the Government think these ventilators are not required when they a building more Nightingale hospitals, and did we not hear NHS hospitals state we do not have enough ventilators? is it not better to have more not less

The London Nightingale has only treated 51 patients and the one near Newcastle is unlikely to ever be needed according to the local NHS trust. 

1 minute ago, kennett said:

The London Nightingale has only treated 51 patients and the one near Newcastle is unlikely to ever be needed according to the local NHS trust. 

hello, yes i see that but i think its better to have more than less, anyway what i realy hope is the curve of deaths from all this goes down to a level that shows the NHS are winning the war on this virus,

33 minutes ago, clangerman said:

if these ventilators are not up to approval i hope they are not being paid for this needs investigation 

Weather we pay for them or not they’ll write it off as development costs

as for investigation by who for what just to waste more money 

I’m not sure how you get approval and I’m sure there’s a rigorous testing to go through many won’t meet the criteria 

10 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Weather we pay for them or not they’ll write it off as development costs

as for investigation by who for what just to waste more money 

I’m not sure how you get approval and I’m sure there’s a rigorous testing to go through many won’t meet the criteria 

48 minutes ago, clangerman said:

if these ventilators are not up to approval i hope they are not being paid for this needs investigation 

Dyson is paying for them himself. Also the NHS have said that they are no longer needed anyway as we have enough. 

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

Really? Had they been needed then they will have been tested and used, you cant just make things for the NHS and expect them to go straight into use.

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have just seen a report on south bbc where another company is making more ventilators, will they be not required ?? 

There are people all over making bits, I've got mates making things in Blackpool,  I've no idea what, one lad said he was furloughed but others are working on ventilator parts 

3 minutes ago, Mice! said:

Really? Had they been needed then they will have been tested and used, you cant just make things for the NHS and expect them to go straight into use.

There are people all over making bits, I've got mates making things in Blackpool,  I've no idea what, one lad said he was furloughed but others are working on ventilator parts 

hello, yes i did read many companies are making different parts, this firm is making the complete unit like Dyson

Just looking at the briefing tonight, the talk of lowering the R. and in the uk its between 0.6 & 0.9.

I just noticed on CNN the New york Govenor. just gave new york states  R as 1.1.  Not exactly sure on their data compared to our, and The uks figures were broad because of different models. But do you think that New yorks R 1.1 will be achievable in the same time scale as we have managed, or will the population size play a part.

On 29/04/2020 at 13:44, AVB said:

Dyson is paying for them himself. Also the NHS have said that they are no longer needed anyway as we have enough. 

UK just bought a load from China and flown into Oxford. 

2 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

Just looking at the briefing tonight, the talk of lowering the R. and in the uk its between 0.6 & 0.9.

I just noticed on CNN the New york Govenor. just gave new york states  R as 1.1.  Not exactly sure on their data compared to our, and The uks figures were broad because of different models. But do you think that New yorks R 1.1 will be achievable in the same time scale as we have managed, or will the population size play a part.

I can't take this R idea seriously as a bluntpolicy tool, it makes no sense. If the country is below 1 but any part of the UK  is above 1 we still have a problem. Unless of course we go for differentiated release, ie area by area. A combination area by area together with a mandatory contact tracing and management makes sense but we don't do mandatory so well. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

I can't take this R idea seriously as a bluntpolicy tool, it makes no sense. If the country is below 1 but any part of the UK  is above 1 we still have a problem. Unless of course we go for differentiated release, ie area by area. A combination area by area together with a mandatory contact tracing and management makes sense but we don't do mandatory so well. 

How i see it is some areas of new york state or the uk, are out the trouble , right now. But other areas are not, and suppose some are still rising.

this was why i asked with a big population a big country or continent, How can it ever be under control.?

the drug trials might be a relief and at least prevent some death or long term damage from the virus. But the future looks rather uncertain, The States is a Worry.

3 hours ago, oowee said:

Agree ... but I guess that’s where the track & trace should help to deal with local outbreaks.