AVIATION Draw Down.

TIGHTCHOKE

Just now, Vince Green said:

Flybe was great, I could fly up from Cornwall to London in 55 mins and it wasn't expensive. The planes were never more than half full though and I could never understand why but I think it was because they offered a hand luggage only deal. If you wanted to take anything more they crucified you on price.

I also thought they were great. I used them to travel from Leeds to Southampton for work however with companies using video conferencing for meetings now the business travel market started drying up for them which was a fairly big chunk of their revenue. They had been struggling for a while before the virus.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Yes just think of Florida, you don't have to look any further than that.

Now this is in the category of strange but true, a message on facebook today from a couple we have known for years but rarely see. They are flying off today on holiday to Turkey. I couldn't believe it when I saw it this morning.

There message was along the lines "can't stand it anymore, off to the sun and freedom" and NO they are not joking. I know exactly where they are going

Turkish airlines I'd imagine, surprising though.

I wonder what percentage of the world economy and the number of people relying on tourism based on visitors arriving by air is globally - that's pretty much worse case scenario I guess.

Whilst I don't particularly care much for Vegas (only ever visited for CES with work), I do care about towns in places like Imlil in the Atlas mountains and Marrakesh, just to name two.

I had set an ascent of Ama Dablam as my personal Everest (don't fancy the circus at the real one) but that would be an impossibly long expedition by road or boat 😞 There again, maybe I could cycle there... 

3 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

I also thought they were great. I used them to travel from Leeds to Southampton for work however with companies using video conferencing for meetings now the business travel market started drying up for them which was a fairly big chunk of their revenue. They had been struggling for a while before the virus.

The train is good to Cornwall but not very suitcase friendly again. The racks are tiny and the isles are narrow. 

9 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

wonder what percentage of the world economy and the number of people relying on tourism based on visitors arriving by air is globally - that's pretty much worse case scenario I guess.

I'm sure there will be places like Majorca and the canaries,  Dominica republic and many many more who rely on the tourist industry. 

Not just islands. In mainland Spain they are saying there's no point opening the hotels if the Brits can't travel. I'm supposed to be going Benidorm next month for a 50th bash / school re-union, bad enough by plane, no way am I going if the only option is by car.

The impact globally will / would be massive, almost beyond comprehension... 

7 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

Not just islands. In mainland Spain they are saying there's no point opening the hotels if the Brits can't travel. I'm supposed to be going Benidorm next month for a 50th bash / school re-union, bad enough by plane, no way am I going if the only option is by car.

Absolutely,  they were just the first places that came to mind.

A brit who is stranded in Spain and a neighbour of mine out there keeps in touch. Latest rumour is that country will be closed to tourists from UK till October.

However if I could get over then I would think twice. No way going on a plane while this virus is still out there and no cure or vaccine.

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

The Spanish bubble had burst before all this came along, it had been in decline for many years. This will probably kill it off though. More so on the islands but property prices and profitability has been going down for a long time.

The Spanish answer to taking less money in the tills was to put the prices up and that made to situation worse. 

Edited by Vince Green

1 hour ago, Raja Clavata said:

Very difficult to envisage indeed. Huge, huge desire for a return to 'normality' but how? Will the Spanish government subsidise holidays to encourage us to go there? Will there be anyone able to operate the flights?

9 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

A brit who is stranded in Spain and a neighbour of mine out there keeps in touch. Latest rumour is that country will be closed to tourists from UK till October.

However if I could get over then I would think twice. No way going on a plane while this virus is still out there and no cure or vaccine.

The risk of catching something airborne on an aircraft is lower than on any other form of public transport due to the HEPA filters. 

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/f1163430bba94512a583eb6d6b24aa56/cabin-air-quality.pdf

1 hour ago, JTaylor91 said:

The risk of catching something airborne on an aircraft is lower than on any other form of public transport due to the HEPA filters. 

https://www.iata.org/contentassets/f1163430bba94512a583eb6d6b24aa56/cabin-air-quality.pdf

You can place some people in space suits and they still won’t travel.

Then again, they also don’t like supermarkets/cinemas/ pubs/people/ outdoors and probably even shout at the tv too 😂

Good job there aren’t any other diseases out there that could harm us isn’t there !!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, JTaylor91 said:

Even if they are good which is debatable. You are still packed like sardines. Someone coughs behind you and you get it before the filters can play their part. However it's not only that, planes surfaces are well known to be extremely dirty. 

However if you could eliminate some of the flight risk, then it's the queues getting on and off, security queues and passport control. I honestly cant think of a more unsafe activity than the experience of flying.

3 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Even if they are good which is debatable. You are still packed like sardines. Someone coughs behind you and you get it before the filters can play their part. However it's not only that, planes surfaces are well known to be extremely dirty. 

However if you could eliminate some of the flight risk, then it's the queues getting on and off, security queues and passport control. I honestly cant think of a more unsafe activity than the experience of flying.

Can't argue with that: I have always been a reluctant flyer - not so much because I hate flying, but because I hate airports and the whole experience, plus almost always felt stressed and worn out by the whole experience.  I used to fly on business from time to time - and I'm so glad that retirement has meant no more flying.  (I have only flown for holidays once in my life).

3 hours ago, Vince Green said:

My first thought was Easy Jet out of Stanstead but I don't know, they are regulars to Turkey they have been going back and forth for decades several times a year

I hope they face two weeks of isolation when they get there and another two weeks when they get back because its hard to imagine a more close proximity environment than an aircraft.

5 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, just heard Grant Shapps looking at self isolation for travellers coming in to the UK??

Well they are supposed to be doing that now but clearly people are not doing it. The Piccadilly line links Heathrow Airport with London, travellers are seen daily with suitcases on the trains.. 

45 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

I reckon you would be more at risk on a packed underground train surely?

Edited by JTaylor91

2 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

They say that but I rarely travel transatlantic and not get a cold afterwards. Mind you, every part of the process is an infection nightmare when you start to look at airport lounges etc

18 minutes ago, JTaylor91 said:

I reckon you would be more at risk on a packed underground train surely?

Maybe so, but train underground journeys mostly last minutes,flights last hours. Then getting on and off the train is no where near anything like arrivals and departures at airports. However ,tube journeys can be avoided in many cases. Where you need flights it's difficult to get a feasible alternative.

Massive over capacity and massive costs to run an airline without any passengers. 

Very likely that returning to the mad world that commercial aviation was pre Covid 19 will either take an awful long time or will never return to the dizzy heights.

Money speaks very loudly and if those with lots of it are getting out of this sector, who are we to argue?

21 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

Warren Buffett has just sold all Berkshire's airline holdings. Taken a hit for billions, but can't see an upside. Berkshire is normally hoovering up distressed stock in a crisis, so for them to cut their losses is almost unprecedented.

That tells you everything you need to know