THE LOCKDOWN From Today May 11TH.

lancer425

23 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

When they dont pay up ,the usual way unless things have changed is you issue a summons. If they refuse to attend court, then it's an arrest warrant. In the end in if the system works they eventually got a small sentence usually 14 to 28 days. Ay least that's how it used to work

I don't think any court business is actually taking place.  There will be a massive backlog building up.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, lancer425 said:

:unhappy::unhappy:  There is always something Dark and horrible lurking out there besides the virus.

In respect of the fox population in your area ,am I right in thinking that one minute after midnight tomorrow ,something horrible to them will be lurking out there 😁

1 hour ago, Bigbob said:

Because Sturgeon reckons we are two weeks behind England with the virus so its impossible for the four country's to work at the same pace 

If that's the case then I don't blame NS for wanting to do things differently,  it's a shame Blackford didn't word his question along those lines.

Has there been much mention of the numbers who are dying in care homes in Scotland?

I've just been looking at Scotland's figures and they are lower than I thought they would be,  so if they are rising still then obviously its sensible to be cautious, but almost 50% of deaths are in care homes.

4 hours ago, Farmboy91 said:

I imagine the reason 'shooting' wasn't mentioned is because it's not PC. I do respect how Boris has handled this but he's not going to rock any boats by using the S word.

I get why you feel like that but I think this is over sensitive, the government aren't likely to mention every single possible hobby/job that can be done and shooting is undertaken by a relatively small section of society.

8 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

I get why you feel like that but I think this is over sensitive, the government aren't likely to mention every single possible hobby/job that can be done and shooting is undertaken by a relatively small section of society.

No, wouldn't expect them to mention every single possible situation or job or hobby but due to the lack of common sense that's what expected of him. 

Honestly when is shooting ever mentioned in a positive light in the media? Easier to say nothing.

This time it's not about politics it's about peoples lives and if the powers that be make a mistake there's going to be another peak and lots more folk could die talking to people those that don't even like Nicola are praising her for being catutios 

l reckon there hoping to open the country's slowly and carefully and more people will be exposed to and catch the virus  but it will then be in managble numbers 

1 hour ago, TRINITY said:

When they dont pay up ,the usual way unless things have changed is you issue a summons. If they refuse to attend court, then it's an arrest warrant. In the end in if the system works they eventually got a small sentence usually 14 to 28 days. Ay least that's how it used to work

Unfortunately we have been plagued with neds at work stealing everything that's not nailed down and whilst giving a statement to the police they are saying the time to take cases to court has been extended on nearly everything most motoring offences have been extended to a year now 

2 hours ago, TRINITY said:

In respect of the fox population in your area ,am I right in thinking that one minute after midnight tomorrow ,something horrible to them will be lurking out there 😁

:lol:  Well probably not midnight i needs my beauty sleep these days but something big black and horrible will be out there again at some point that’s for sure.

Have just asked after a mates parents who are both in their late 70’s. He told me that we were into three weeks of the lockdown before they knew about it! His mam had phoned to ask why he hadnt been round for so long, and he then explained what was going on; they had just thought there were queues at Morrison’s because they were so busy! 😀

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Have just asked after a mates parents who are both in their late 70’s. He told me that we were into three weeks of the lockdown before they knew about it! His mam had phoned to ask why he hadnt been round for so long, and he then explained what was going on; they had just thought there were queues at Morrison’s because they were so busy! 😀

Bless em.

15 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

The jist is that there re higher fines - and the fines go up for repeat offenders ....... up to a maximum of £3200 I think it was - not sure if that is £3200 'cumulative' or £3200 per offence once you have clocked up enough.

Not sure how you set about collecting these fines from certain groups ......

Well that's true of all fines, I'm not in touch with the actual figures any more but some years ago approx. half the fines imposed by Magistrates Courts (excluding motoring fines) were never paid 

Just now, Vince Green said:

Well that's true of all fines, I'm not in touch with the actual figures any more but some years ago approx. half the fines imposed by Magistrates Courts (excluding motoring fines) were never paid 

I was thinking more along the following lines.

1. Of the fines that are paid I suspect that many are for things like speeding, parking, forgetting to renew licences (inc TV), traffic cameras, overlooked bald tyre/blown bulb, late payments, low level crime etc.  These things happen - and for most people, you kick yourself, pay the fine, and get on with your life.
  2. For the fines that are not paid, many will be to people who deliberately as part of their daily lives simply ignore the rules, fines, and have no intention of either obeying or paying.  They are often the same people who police are very 'aware of' for various reasons, and who have no job, no visible assets to seize,  and likely won't turn up at court, but if they do, they may get an order for a low weekly 'payment on account' on which they are likely to default.  They are well aware that they will 'get away with it'.

Police (understandably) don't like to follow these up as they know it will take a lot of time and ultimately achieve little of material value - and won't change the perpetrators habits.

11 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I was thinking more along the following lines.

1. Of the fines that are paid I suspect that many are for things like speeding, parking, forgetting to renew licences (inc TV), traffic cameras, overlooked bald tyre/blown bulb, late payments, low level crime etc.  These things happen - and for most people, you kick yourself, pay the fine, and get on with your life.
  2. For the fines that are not paid, many will be to people who deliberately as part of their daily lives simply ignore the rules, fines, and have no intention of either obeying or paying.  They are often the same people who police are very 'aware of' for various reasons, and who have no job, no visible assets to seize,  and likely won't turn up at court, but if they do, they may get an order for a low weekly 'payment on account' on which they are likely to default.  They are well aware that they will 'get away with it'.

Police (understandably) don't like to follow these up as they know it will take a lot of time and ultimately achieve little of material value - and won't change the perpetrators habits.

In the film the Dark Knight the Joker says to Batman "You can't hurt somebody who doesn't care"

I often reflect on that statement because its so true

2 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

In the film the Dark Knight the Joker says to Batman "You can't hurt somebody who doesn't care"

I often reflect on that statement because its so true

Exactly, and I think there will be a big overlap between 'the usual suspects' for not paying fines and the people who repeatedly ignore lockdown, quarantine and other 'virus measures' rules ............ because they don't care.

23 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Agreed, but the 'nanny state' has (in my opinion) reduced the breadth of personal experience, and narrowed perceptions, reduced perspective.  We used to 'learn by our mistakes' and that did of course have occasional unpleasant consequences, but also did work for many many people.

Morning John. I agree with the stuff in bold above but do not necessarily agree it's done to the nanny state because my interpretation of that phrase is based on the notion that government impose overly restrictive rules and regulations on the public. At best I feel that's only part of the story.

The world has certainly changed from when you and I were kids, that's for sure. There are things my brother and I would regularly do which, if repeated today, would most likely see the police called, the road closed and perhaps even the police helicopter attending the "incident" - yes, I think this kind of thing can be attributed to the nanny state.

We did all sorts of things that would be taboo today and would probably have resulted in a visit from social services. That said, we weren't bad kids and never got into trouble with the plod but we loved an adventure and pushing boundaries in the process.

Today, as an example, we see anti-social behaviour which limits the amount of time sensible decent kids living in towns and cities spend outside. I find this heart breaking.

Another example of the way society has changed - please forgive the nature of the example - say I convinced a girl to show me her boobs when I was a teenager, it would have happened "behind the bike sheds" and unless I spouted out about it afterwards nobody else would be any the wiser and at worse it'd be hearsay. Today a girl flashing a pic of her boobs via a social media app could see the pic go viral globally in a matter of hours if it gets into the hands (screen) of a wrong-un.

So, whilst my son would have no clue how to be safe out on the edge of the tide by Bradwell as it turns to come back in, or how to safely scale a foot bridge and walk across it on the outside etc. his experiences, perceptions / perspectives and sensitivities reflect a very different world to the one I grew up in. 

4 minutes ago, Raja Clavata said:

I agree with the stuff in bold above but do not necessarily agree it's done to the nanny state because my interpretation of that phrase is based on the notion that government impose overly restrictive rules and regulations on the public.

We probably have a slightly different interpretation; my interpretation is more "that government impose overly restrictive rules and regulations on the public where the public should have free choice and use common sense".

I grew up in the deep country.  We knew our local policeman by name and respected him, but we weren't 'frightened' of him.  He also knew us by name - who our parents were - and wouldn't have hesitated to have 'had a word' in their ears - and they in turn would have had 'several choice words' in ours.  That was how it worked.

As a general example, we used to have local fetes and open days etc to raise money for the local church/village hall/church bells/cricket pavillion etc.  Several have been phased out now because there are so many rules and regulations and insurance has become very expensive - because you may get sued if someone stubs their toe on a step.  Apparently, one local event believed they were making more money for the insurance company than the charity if it rained and attendance was a bit low.

Similarly, I have heard that local coffee mornings etc are now worried that if someone with a nut allergy gets a bit of nut in a cake, they may get sued.

We used to have 'open gardens' in the village where one day of the year gardens were open in aid of the Nursing Association, the good ladies of the village put on teas etc.  That stopped after someone locally had a break in afterwards and the insurance assessor suggested that the thieves may have used the open day to 'choose suitable properties and do reconnaissance.

I can't directly assign a cause .......... but overall, we don't live in the same 'free, friendly and enjoyable society' in which I grew up.

22 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I can't directly assign a cause .......... but overall, we don't live in the same 'free, friendly and enjoyable society' in which I grew up.

I can, the legal profession!  Those parasites hover like vultures surveying every aspect of life, the slightest slip up they swoop for the kill to line their own pockets. The up shot is everyone now 'treads on eggshells' for fear of litigation.

Edited by TRINITY

Just now, TRINITY said:

I can, the legal profession!  Those parasites hover like vultures surveying every aspect of life, the slightest slip up they swoop for the kill to line there own pockets. The up shot is everyone now 'treads on eggshells' for fear of litigation.

I'd blame a significant portion of that culture on the US.

3 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

I can, the legal profession!  Those parasites hover like vultures surveying every aspect of life, the slightest slip up they swoop for the kill to line their own pockets. The up shot is everyone now 'treads on eggshells' for fear of litigation.

Easy to blame the legal profession but it also needs people with low moral values to feed them. It was the same in respect of blaming the banks for the financial crises when it was as much the fault of the general population for overcommitting themselves. 

1 minute ago, TRINITY said:

I can, the legal profession!

That is certainly one part, but I think there are more varied aspects - one of which is the 'values' with which people are brought up. 

For example, local hospital, more NHS staff are using the bicycle park area as the nice weather and risks of public transport  - (plus exorbitant parking charges for cars I hear) has encouraged them to cycle.  Certain elements of the community have spotted this and there has been a surge in bicycle thefts from the hospital cycle racks.  Apparently they are then advertised 'for spares' on Facebook as they are damaged due to getting the locks off.  Police and hospital security are 'aware' there is an ongoing problem according to local paper.  That isn't the lawyers - that is just plain criminals.

11 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

All widely aided by the overall opening of "no win no fee" by Teflon Antony B Liar in 1998

7 minutes ago, AVB said:

Easy to blame the legal profession but it also needs people with low moral values to feed them. 

There have always been plenty of people with low moral values, but in the past the law and society in general were stacked against them and kept them in check. They now have a friend is is more than willing to step in on their behalf in order to make money . Furthermore they way the legal profession advertise their 'services ' and the possible financial gains people can make by using them ,is blatantly encouraging people with low morals to exploit every possible situation. How many of us have had that mysterious and unsolicited phone call asking us about the accident we were involved in an not our fault.

4 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

How many of us have had that mysterious and unsolicited phone call asking us about the accident we were involved in an not our fault.

The next lot of phone calls will probably be something like...

Did you loose property or wages because of how the government handled the coronavirus outbreak then call this number , chancers one and all.