kids education suffering media doom and gloom

Saltings

my neighbour is involved with school maintenance so i can tell you for a fact YOUR children’s desks are NOT being set out two metres apart so the government rule to keep YOU safe will not be applied to YOUR children someone care to explain why the government are ignoring their own rule? 

I didn't realise your neighbour spoke for every school in the country. I heard a rumour, from a friend, who know someone who once went to school that all schools will be complying with government rules. Problem solved.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can say my partner is working planning lessons, meetings at a load of other stuff she tells me about but I don’t listen. 

She is also 5 months pregnant and there is not a chance she is going anywhere near a school, children or other staff. Especially as the reason is economic rather than scientific. 

4 hours ago, Bumble said:

What do you do for a living?

They won’t tell you that.  I wonder why????????

I want to go back to some ordinary, SAFE way of working, I’ve happily put up with viruses, scabies, head-lice and all body fluid (just watch how many kids wash their hands after visiting the toilet, then touch a computer mouse) but not something that could put my life at risk. I'm happy to be furloughed until October, if that’s what the public want. But I’ll stop work.

Go back to work.  Schools are just like many other businesses.   We are open for drive through and contactless payments! Click and collect the work at the door, we do digital and paper based activities each week.

How many of the ‘teacher kickers’ would go into a packed pub, this Friday night?

Edited by markm

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Very hard and difficult for you as a parent 

are you comfortable with the social bubble type of schooling plan 

or would something work better in your opinion? 

trying to find a solution here no good sitting about being critical

Sorry a busy afternoons work, my kids want to go back to school and my misses works in a school so once they open she will be in, so I know the two schools we are associated with are working hard to make things work. 

At the moment we are happy for our kids to go back, otherwise I would take time off, but I'd rather not, so unless something changes our kids will be going back.

The small groups will work I think but only for small numbers,  fine for the 3 years going back but I don't see how it can work for all years at primary school. 

2 hours ago, AVB said:

It’s all well and good saying that “teachers are still working” but according to the chair of the Education  Committee, Robert Halfon MP (who imo is a great MP) 90% of vulnerable children are not receiving education at the moment and 50% of children had not received any communication from their teachers as at early April. If this is the case then clearly not all teachers are working. 

A lot of this will be down to the parents,  things need to be set up online in order to get the work sent through, it would be no surprise that the children who need the most help are the least likely to get it unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

I didn't realise your neighbour spoke for every school in the country. I heard a rumour, from a friend, who know someone who once went to school that all schools will be complying with government rules. Problem solved.

and how does your RUMOUR solve the FACT that two schools do NOT have the room to have desks two meters apart if that’s the case nobody needs to observe the two meter rule why que at tesco just walk in it’s ok you can ignore rules if you like 

and how does your RUMOUR solve the FACT that two schools do NOT have the room to have desks two meters apart if that’s the case nobody needs to observe the two meter rule why que at tesco just walk in it’s ok you can ignore rules if you like 

It isn't the truth - I was merely pointing out that one persons' secondhand view can't be extrapolated across the country, without inviting ridicule. Hence my post.

1 minute ago, Gordon R said:

It isn't the truth - I was merely pointing out that one persons' secondhand view can't be extrapolated across the country, without inviting ridicule. Hence my post.

just making the point they are breaking the rules nobody’s child will get over infecting grannie they would be scarred for life 

22 minutes ago, clangerman said:

just making the point they are breaking the rules nobody’s child will get over infecting grannie they would be scarred for life 

They aren't breaking the rules,  they will be going to school within the rules, and shouldn't unfortunately be within 2mtr of grannies.

On 15/05/2020 at 07:53, millrace said:

Sorry but at some point the teachers need to be told who pays their wages,get back and stop making up excuses....the science tell you it's safe so get on!!!.....

Or as I heard this morning .... oh but some are old,are over weight have diabetes  or are looking after others,,,,,right if you not "fit for purpose"...get rid....

Real world were all the same but teachers well their always just that "little bit better"!!!!!!......

👍

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

They aren't breaking the rules,  they will be going to school within the rules, and shouldn't unfortunately be within 2mtr of grannies.

maybe grannie should sit at a desk they might be two meters apart then instead of about the three foot they are going to have at present for someone insisting we follow the rules the government obviously thinks it’s do as i say not as i do 

maybe grannie should sit at a desk they might be two meters apart then instead of about the three foot they are going to have at present for someone insisting we follow the rules the government obviously thinks it’s do as i say not as i do 

Perhaps you should be a politician. You have talking gibberish off to a fine art. 🙂

7 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

It would have been more sensible for you to look at your posts and accept you were jumping to a massive conclusion, based on the experience of one person. It was daft and you should be big enough to accept that.

i’m so glad i have you to decide if my comment has any meaning or worth but being slightly picky i will leave that up to the chaps thanks 

Just coming back to read this thread since the last time I looked on Friday. There is nothing here that can, in way shape or form, be considered as lighting up the education system of the UK in glory.

I say this balancing the fact that the other half of my life long best pal is deputy head of a special needs school in Brentwood - she has worked throughout the lockdown, in school on the basis of the fact that the students are "vulnerable" and need the regular face to interaction. This has been implemented through a rota system.

On the other hand, another good friend of mine has a daughter studying remotely at a prominent Uni, staying on Campus in student digs. They have been told that despite the fact that there is no return date, they MUST continue paying for the digs as it is a contractual obligation.

Caveat: The first point I know to be a fact. The second reflects the situation early doors of the lock down, I hope it's changed but wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't.

7 hours ago, Raja Clavata said:

On the other hand, another good friend of mine has a daughter studying remotely at a prominent Uni, staying on Campus in student digs. They have been told that despite the fact that there is no return date, they MUST continue paying for the digs as it is a contractual obligation.

There was a piece on Northwest news about this, students having to pay rent, and uni fees despite not being there.

1 hour ago, Bumble said:

Aren’t most uni digs run by privately owned companies separate to the uni? I know my 1st year halls of residence certainly were. 

The piece I saw wasn't even in halls it was a house, end of the day the rent needs paying. 

I do have to say that I am somewhat disappointed in the school my two go to (4th year and 6th form (first year) in old school money) - they are getting work set via email but there has been no communication with them either using teams or Zoom or whatever - there should be at least 15 minutes a week per subject with about 5 or 6 students in the call just to have a catch up and keep them focused. We actually overlook the school - and see they have about 10 kids in - we see them out at lunch time - no social distancing for them

Spoke to my two grandkids last night  year six lad gets regular work every day .The year nine lass has to log on at 8.45am but doesn't receive any thing from her teacher until 12.30 and she says it's all stuff they have already done with some work that's way over her head and with no input from the teachers makes it a waste of time  (and she is a very bright girl) but her mam thinks she is loosing her work ethic cos of the way things are.

38 minutes ago, discobob said:

I do have to say that I am somewhat disappointed in the school my two go to (4th year and 6th form (first year) in old school money) - they are getting work set via email but there has been no communication with them either using teams or Zoom or whatever - there should be at least 15 minutes a week per subject with about 5 or 6 students in the call just to have a catch up and keep them focused. We actually overlook the school - and see they have about 10 kids in - we see them out at lunch time - no social distancing for them

no social distancing? nice to see someone else has found the rules ARE being broken puts a new face on my gibberish comments thank you 

Problem with most areas of school work is available bandwidth. My wife, support worker, is working from home ATM and they must log onto the council server, but it has to be before 08-30 or after 17-00 due to the server crashing during the first week of lockdown. Even for the teachers at present the server is so slow so this is why there are problems with home working and homework.

Re social distancing, most children who are in hubs presently are ASN and/or at risk/vulnerable and for the majority of them you can tell them as many times as you like but attention spans are short, others don't see the problem as their friends look fine so must be fine... My wife tried to keep them social distancing but gave up and used good hygiene and individual games as the safest option in this scenario. Classrooms are easier to set up for 2m distancing but they are at 5-10% capacity, a full school...no chance.

3 hours ago, discobob said:

e actually overlook the school - and see they have about 10 kids in - we see them out at lunch time - no social distancing for them

That is most probably the key workers kids, and probably the same kids every day so no need to social distance,  they are likely in the same space all day.

2 hours ago, clangerman said:

no social distancing? nice to see someone else has found the rules ARE being broken puts a new face on my gibberish comments thank you 

The rules aren't being broken in schools.

Now I saw 15 lads out last night on bikes, just cruising down the road,  they weren't bothered about what distance they were apart.