New Brexit Thread

Vince Green

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

https://www.ft.com/content/63450adc-a025-11ea-b65d-489c67b0d85d

This. And for Johnson it's only ever now about protecting his ERG financier cronies. Also Joihnson is breaking his word as to what the UK Government has previously agreed with the EU. And note too how, now, chlorinated chicke and over antibiotic dosing of beef has been swept away by Gove.

Have no doubt the Tories WILL throw everyone else under the bus. Some with pleasure others with reluctance but if anyone thought that ERG support for Brexit was about anything other than protecting offshore funds from proposed alignment with domestic EU nation tax rules they are living in cuckoo land. Any benefits to the rest of us from Brexit are not what motivated those wealthy funders who backed "Leave"...it's all about Dyson wanting to avoid tariffs on far East vacuums, Rees-Mogg about offshore funds, the Wetherspoon's man about denial of workers' rights, Mike Ashley of Newcastle United the same with his "sweat shop" warehouse in the Midlands. 

The Romans asked "cui bono". Who benefits? Any benefit to you, thee, me will be secondary to the benefits to the slimy fat cats above. And overall those benefits to THEM will be...loss of tax revenue so we Income Tax and VAT payers make up the shortfall...less workplace rights....at OUR direct cost.

Do you actually believe any of that?

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Mr_Nobody said:

The Brexit extension has officially been rejected. As Guido says, it's either Australia or Canada now.

https://order-order.com/2020/06/12/breaking-uk-and-eu-formally-accept-no-transition-extension/

I was just about to post the same thing but from a different site.

I really do hope the Government are being so **** poor in other areas because they all over this and got it covered, somehow though...

Covid has come to the rescue of brexit i reckon. The reccession following this appaling handling of the pandemic will mask the down turn. Add to that huge levels of unemployment will depress wage rates and make the country more competitive. 

5 minutes ago, oowee said:

Covid has come to the rescue of brexit i reckon. The reccession following this appaling handling of the pandemic will mask the down turn. Add to that huge levels of unemployment will depress wage rates and make the country more competitive. 

There’s always an upside! 😀👍

I just read this.

The Times has caught up (paywall) with yesterday's story about the government's plans to waive border checks on incoming goods, come the beginning of next year when the transition period ends.

Apparently, it isn't quite the free-for-all that might have been imagined. The government is planning to phase the implementation of controls, with three "waypoints": January, April and July.

From January, full customs checks and tariffs will be applied to what are known as "controlled goods". These include alcohol, tobacco and firearms. For other goods, importers will have up to six months to submit completed customs declarations and to pay any tariff that they have accrued. There is no general payment waiver, and records will have to be kept.

There will also be limited phytosanitary checks, but these will only apply to live animals (which will, presumably, take in pets) and high-risk plants. The health checks in be widened out in April, when all products of animal origin including, meat and meat products, pet food, honey, milk or egg products will have to pass through inspection points. Pre-notification will be required and, on presumes, fees will be payable.

After six months, starting on 1 July, the government then intends to make all goods will be subjected to customs declarations at the point of importation, with tariffs payable on entry. The levels have yet to be settled.'

In other words, we're getting the outcome that we wanted; that's happening on the date we wanted; that we have known would be the inevitable result of our political red lines; that we've had years to prepare for - AND YET WE ARE STILL TOTALLY UNPREPARED.

So we'll cobble together some kind of future 'plan' and announce it as if it were government policy. And when the time comes and that plan doesn't survive contact with its implementation  (as none of our plans ever do) - no problem, we can always announce another one. 

It's a funny old way to run a country. 

2 hours ago, Retsdon said:

Bet it still beats Thailand and Saudi though :lol:

Shall we go in with NO plan whatsoever then ?
We are still playing games, the EU need to believe we are serious about no deal, because I think we are.
Not ideal , but necessary when the EU are talking about punishing us again....

5 hours ago, Retsdon said:

I just read this.

The Times has caught up (paywall) with yesterday's story about the government's plans to waive border checks on incoming goods, come the beginning of next year when the transition period ends.

Apparently, it isn't quite the free-for-all that might have been imagined. The government is planning to phase the implementation of controls, with three "waypoints": January, April and July.

From January, full customs checks and tariffs will be applied to what are known as "controlled goods". These include alcohol, tobacco and firearms. For other goods, importers will have up to six months to submit completed customs declarations and to pay any tariff that they have accrued. There is no general payment waiver, and records will have to be kept.

There will also be limited phytosanitary checks, but these will only apply to live animals (which will, presumably, take in pets) and high-risk plants. The health checks in be widened out in April, when all products of animal origin including, meat and meat products, pet food, honey, milk or egg products will have to pass through inspection points. Pre-notification will be required and, on presumes, fees will be payable.

After six months, starting on 1 July, the government then intends to make all goods will be subjected to customs declarations at the point of importation, with tariffs payable on entry. The levels have yet to be settled.'

In other words, we're getting the outcome that we wanted; that's happening on the date we wanted; that we have known would be the inevitable result of our political red lines; that we've had years to prepare for - AND YET WE ARE STILL TOTALLY UNPREPARED.

So we'll cobble together some kind of future 'plan' and announce it as if it were government policy. And when the time comes and that plan doesn't survive contact with its implementation  (as none of our plans ever do) - no problem, we can always announce another one. 

Sounds good to me. It’s the British way;  always has been always will be. 
What are you expecting? 

On 12/06/2020 at 20:43, oowee said:

What a load of nonsense, it is exactly the other way around. It has let the remainers off the hook, however give it a few years and I believe we will see the UK trading well, as the EU crumbles, it's already starting with Germany refusing to print more money to bail out the likes of Greece, many of the Mediterranean countries are likely to go bust and the internal conflict that will ensue in the EU will be it's downfall. 

37 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

What a load of nonsense, it is exactly the other way around. It has let the remainers off the hook, however give it a few years and I believe we will see the UK trading well, as the EU crumbles, it's already starting with Germany refusing to print more money to bail out the likes of Greece, many of the Mediterranean countries are likely to go bust and the internal conflict that will ensue in the EU will be it's downfall. 

Fingers crossed. 🤞

Like I said, there’s always an upside. 🙂