Furloughed again

sam triple

I can foresee a lot of empty office space becoming available with all the people working from home and doing more in the day without the need to travel to and from work ,companies must be looking at this and asking do we need such big offices ,my mrs works from home and is saving 3 hrs a day on not travelling to and from to the office and her bosses have already said don’t expect to be back in them before Xmas 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/06/2020 at 16:17, sam triple said:

I can foresee a lot of empty office space becoming available with all the people working from home and doing more in the day without the need to travel to and from work ,companies must be looking at this and asking do we need such big offices ,my mrs works from home and is saving 3 hrs a day on not travelling to and from to the office and her bosses have already said don’t expect to be back in them before Xmas 

On the empty office space note and there is a hidden sting in the tail now as many major pension funds have large property portfolios where now their true value is open to question.  I work for a company based in Houston, Texas and they are also saying all the offices worldwide will remain closed until the end of the year.

5 hours ago, sam triple said:

Well was all set to go back next Monday ,received a phone call to inform me that I’ve got another 4 weeks furlough that’ll be 14 weeks in total so far 

Start looking for something new,  I was surprised to have agencies sending me inquiries this week asking if I was available for work, despite companies in the area making people redundant.

My place is looking at going on a new shift system to bring people back in but less on each shift, but other industries might well be looking at just bringing fewer people back.

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

Start looking for something new,  I was surprised to have agencies sending me inquiries this week asking if I was available for work, despite companies in the area making people redundant.

My place is looking at going on a new shift system to bring people back in but less on each shift, but other industries might well be looking at just bringing fewer people back.

Because they’ve  done away with one shift and put everyone on straight days those that can’t be furloughed are still working .
Until the redundancy situation is sorted I won’t be going anywhere,if I’m one of ones that the axe falls on then I’m thinking of getting out of the industry altogether, out of my hands at the moment 

On 10/06/2020 at 16:17, sam triple said:

It's an easy money saver for a company once they realise that they can actually trust their staff and that working from home isn't the skive they thought it was (the company I used to work for were like this initially), so I wouldn't be surprised if some of the more expensive offices start being sold off

4 hours ago, sam triple said:

Because they’ve  done away with one shift and put everyone on straight days those that can’t be furloughed are still working .
Until the redundancy situation is sorted I won’t be going anywhere,if I’m one of ones that the axe falls on then I’m thinking of getting out of the industry altogether, out of my hands at the moment 

Well good luck, I've got out of engineering twice because of redundancy but gone back pretty quick, found you had to work longer and harder for less money?

I think some companies are playing games here! The one I work for has taken back a few staff but they are working their nuts off and multi-skilling ie doing a lot outside their job descriptions and another big multi-national where orders have picked up quickly still have a high % furloughed and the ones re-employed are suffering. I realise there is huge uncertainty but this is wrong and may change the workplace for a long time. 

Guest cookoff013

i`ve been off work since 21feb. quit my job, because i just couldnt carry on working in those conditions.

tons of applications sent off. not a sausage. not a sausage at all. not even an interview.

10 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

I think some companies are playing games here! The one I work for has taken back a few staff but they are working their nuts off and multi-skilling ie doing a lot outside their job descriptions and another big multi-national where orders have picked up quickly still have a high % furloughed and the ones re-employed are suffering. I realise there is huge uncertainty but this is wrong and may change the workplace for a long time. 

Very common trend. A lot of company owners I have spoken to have said that they intend to operate with a lower workforce than before even if things were to return to normal. 

My sons girlfriend works at London City Airport. She returned to work last week. She said today that “they had 10 passengers“. I said that it seemed like a very low number per flight. She then said no it was 10 passengers in total flying through the airport all day! 

I work on a new build site and we’re flat out, the only thing slowing us down is the shortage of materials and skilled labour. Some of the deadwood has gone or will be going soon as they come off furlough which is not good for them but theyre either useless or lazy. overtime is back on with as many hours as you want where’s before lock down was a flat 39 hrs no overtime and the price work has stayed at the previous rates  All the sites around are mad busy so hopefully as the demand is there the manufactures will sort the material shortages  which should help those working in those sectors

On 07/07/2020 at 22:44, polester said:

I work on a new build site and we’re flat out, the only thing slowing us down is the shortage of materials and skilled labour. Some of the deadwood has gone or will be going soon as they come off furlough which is not good for them but theyre either useless or lazy. overtime is back on with as many hours as you want where’s before lock down was a flat 39 hrs no overtime and the price work has stayed at the previous rates  All the sites around are mad busy so hopefully as the demand is there the manufactures will sort the material shortages  which should help those working in those sectors

It’s not going to last trust me the aviation was the first big hit, but now everyday it’s sector after sector making people redundant it’s no good building new houses if millions going to be on the dole this is just the tip of the iceberg.

On 30/05/2020 at 15:58, AVB said:

This is very different to 9/11. The after effects of 9/11 didn’t materially impact people’s incomes, and , other than specific sectors, relatively few jobs were lost. This is very different and there is going to be massive unemployment. So whilst people will still want holidays and other luxuries many will not be able to afford them, or even if they can will be nervous about spending money. 

wait until the full effect of 31/01/21 kicks-in 👍

Edited by Capt Christopher Jones

• 3 weeks later...

No letters going out ,furloughed people will get a phone call or text to let them know if they are at risk or are loosing their jobs , those still working will be asked to go into the office , only plus point those unlucky enough to loose their jobs will get a 40 ‘/, enhancement on their redundancy payment 

21 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Well my furlough ended and so has my employment along with about a dozen others bar 2 that are over 50;, appeals start tomorrow not holding my breath though , 

Grim news, very sorry to hear that.

Start reaching out to anyone and everyone you know now, use your contact network as best you can.  Ask people to give you a job.

Best of luck.

32 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Well my furlough ended and so has my employment along with about a dozen others bar 2 that are over 50;, appeals start tomorrow not holding my breath though , 

Sad news 

maybe posting your cv/ area could help you secure a new job/ career if that’s allowed 

hope you get sorted soon 👍