School outbreaks

WalkedUp

My wife’s school has been in the local newspaper as they’ve had to send some year groups home due to lack of staff as so many have caught CV-19. 

My niece’s primary school in Manchester also has an outbreak. From 0 cases at the start of the week 11 of the 22 young children in her class had tested positive and the teacher also has it.

During lockdown with schools open it seems like a hiding to nothing. 

Edited by WalkedUp

There hadn't been much in my area but the last few weeks my daughters year were isolated and two years at my wifes school,  no pupils ill but the teachers, I guess the question is are the kids bringing it in?

Different symptoms than the usual they thought they had a heavy cold.

I'm expecting the schools to close early for xmas.

3 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

My niece’s primary school in Manchester also has an outbreak. From 0 cases at the start of the week 11 of the 22 young children in her class had tested positive and the teacher also has it.

Why were the kids tested?

My son started in our village primary school's reception class this September.  It's not a tiny school but not huge.  Year 4 had to be shut down twice in the space of a month; I don't think it was the pupils themselves who had the virus, but a family member of theirs.  Nothing since.

TBH I've been bricking it about having to isolate if given the say-so, because I'm self-employed and the financial aid is not exactly generous.  I'm sure it's going to happen at some point.

9 hours ago, Mice! said:

There hadn't been much in my area but the last few weeks my daughters year were isolated and two years at my wifes school,  no pupils ill but the teachers, I guess the question is are the kids bringing it in?

Different symptoms than the usual they thought they had a heavy cold.

I'm expecting the schools to close early for xmas.

Why were the kids tested?

Because they were ill and had also been exposed to the virus. They are only 9 years old, which is odd. The school should have sent the class home rather than plough on saying it doesn’t effect children! 

For privacy I don’t want to state which school (my sister is a governor there) but if it comes up on the MEN I will post a link. 

3 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Because they were ill and had also been exposed to the virus. They are only 9 years old, which is odd. The school should have sent the class home rather than plough on saying it doesn’t effect children! 

For privacy I don’t want to state which school (my sister is a governor there) but if it comes up on the MEN I will post a link. 

No need to mention the school,  I only asked about the children as I don't know of any that have been ill or tested its just been staff,  kids have just had to isolate. 

Just down the road from me is a big comprehensive school.

I'm told they go to a lot of trouble inside the school to do things properly but at 3.30pm there are hundred of kids queuing at the bus stops and hanging around outside the shops further down. Like a swarm of locusts. All the older kids not wearing masks

Where is the social distancing ?

Edited by Vince Green

6 hours ago, Vince Green said:

I'm told they go to a lot of trouble inside the school to do things properly but at 3.30pm there are hundred of kids queuing at the bus stops and hanging around outside the shops further down. Like a swarm of locusts. All the older kids not wearing masks

Bloomin' kids,  acting all care free and child like.

8 hours ago, AVB said:

It’s important that schools remain open to ensure that children continue to receive an education. During the first lockdown 1mln+ Children, primarily comprising of the most underprivileged, received substandard teaching. 

Agree, but it seems madness to have everything else closed, with such damage to the economy, if we are failing to control the disease in education. 

11 hours ago, AVB said:

It’s important that schools remain open to ensure that children continue to receive an education. During the first lockdown 1mln+ Children, primarily comprising of the most underprivileged, received substandard teaching. 

This - my kids received very little from the school during the first lockdown - not that it really matters now as we are in Wales and they have scrapped the exams for this academic year - mine were due to do GCSE and A level respectively - God only knows what the future holds for the eldest

7 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

Agree, but it seems madness to have everything else closed, with such damage to the economy, if we are failing to control the disease in education. 

Is everything else closed though...... I know the industry I am in is thriving despite operating in a “Covid safe” way and the roads seem far from quiet in the mornings.  The last lockdown it was deathly, this one seems certain industries are closed but most are carrying on pretty much like usual

My daughter is off at the moment too, due to go back on Friday after her isolation period, due to another child in her class testing positive for COVID.  Interestingly though, this child is asymptomatic and was only tested as a precaution due to her brother being tested, and he only a slight temperature.  Could easily have been missed.

The guidance from the school is that the rest of the family could actually continue normal life, assuming our daughter shows no symptoms, but we are fortunate that as I am working from home and my wife is a SAHM, we have chosen to isolate as a family, so we have two younger boys, one in nursery and the other at home anyway, they are of course staying home too.

Lets just say - We are ready for the kids to go back on friday..

Hayden

1 hour ago, al4x said:

Is everything else closed though...... I know the industry I am in is thriving despite operating in a “Covid safe” way and the roads seem far from quiet in the mornings.  The last lockdown it was deathly, this one seems certain industries are closed but most are carrying on pretty much like usual

Traffic seems pretty normal to me, I'm doing what I'd normally do,  it seems like it's just pubs gyms hairdressers that are shut, probably lots of other things as well.

My lads class has now been sent home as well, so that's 4 or 5 years affected across two schools that I know of.

18 minutes ago, clangerman said:

grand childs education soared having one to one at home if children didn’t get a education when of it’s the parents fault 

That's a ridiculous statement and incredibly dismissive of everyone with two working parents, especially keyworkers, and anyone who thinks education is important but who didn't have much chance themselves in life.  

1 hour ago, ehb102 said:

That's a ridiculous statement and incredibly dismissive of everyone with two working parents, especially keyworkers, and anyone who thinks education is important but who didn't have much chance themselves in life.  

both daughter and son-in-law have worked since day one of corvid so that excuse won’t wash only thing stopping education of a child is lack of will 

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

both daughter and son-in-law have worked since day one of corvid so that excuse won’t wash only thing stopping education of a child is lack of will 

Which a lot of parents don’t have and hence why it is essential that schools remain open. 

1 hour ago, clangerman said:

Mine are only 7 and 4 and we did really well during lockdown 1.  The 7 year old by structuring things and 1 to 1 we did really well.  However I was furloughed so had the time.  It was apparent when she went back that many parents had done nothing at all. While I see both sides it’s a common thing now how little parents expect to do 

My mate is annoyed with me for not closing my office, it didn’t close during the last lockdown either. Staff have been given a choice to work from home, be furloughed or work from the office. They all chose to work from the office as it is not practical for us to work from home given our industry. My friend’s wife is extremely vulnerable (chemotherapy) but both of his boys are in school. 

I feel bad, but we just can’t destroy the livelihoods of SME employees or the progress of construction work out of righteousness. My wife’s school has 2000 in one building, far more than 99% of businesses premises. 

During the aftermath of the first lockdown, the Govt. stated that IF there had to be restrictions again in the Autumn - there would be - but top priority would be to keep the schools open - even if it meant closing hospitality and entertainment etc.

Reason was twofold;

1. For the kid's education - which wasn't seen as working well for all either at home or via 'on-line'.
  2. Because having the kids at home was causing huge problems for parents/grandparents (especially for those parents in essential services) to look after them

I have no children, so don't have a strong view myself other than that they are doing what they said they would if needed.

A teacher a few houses up the road caught Covid in September - and his wife then got it.  Fortunately both are now better, but the view was that he caught it from asymptomatic class member(s).